What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad3 as a scanner?

Forhad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use TurboScan. With TurboScan, you can quickly scan your documents and store or email them as multipage PDF or JPEG files.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bosvaark said:
I think scanner pro is better as this a genuine iPad app, full size

It may be...but turboscan has a lot of happy users and it works perfectly fine on the iPad. Go read the reviews in the app store. As I have both an iPhone and an iPad I use it on both...most stuff I scan are 8.5 by 11 inch pages so I end up using the iPad in portrait mode anyway.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Saw this related product in the news the other day.

I have a real scanner at home, and no need for a higher quality portable solution (at least not one I'd actually remember to take with me); so no matter how I twist it in my head I can't quite justify paying for this deceptively simple product.

If only I had some conferences to attend (sigh).

Scanbox - Turn your iPhone into a portable scanner by Phil Bosua — Kickstarter

I am in the same boat as you - I really like this, but can't justify it's purchase (I, too, am mostly retired). However, it's very ingenious and sometimes, I do have more trouble than usual in resisting it... :)

I use Doc Scan Pro ($1.99, USD) for my scanning. Very hand product for me debit and credit card receipts. I also like that it links with Dropbox (among many others) and you can add the new image to an existing PDF file (versus creating a new one).

Marilyn

OP
V

valinrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@techgeek32

Alright I will try it. but what kind of format does it gives and release?

@ AQ_OC

So turboscan is really a good one because it gives a jpegs and pdf files.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@techgeek32

Alright I will try it. but what kind of format does it gives and release?

@ AQ_OC

So turboscan is really a good one because it gives a jpegs and pdf files.

I think the both do that. Also, PNG files, too, at least for TurboScan. When I pick an app, I do look at the overall rating and the number of users used for that rating. But price and the kind of iPad support the app has are important too. So you need to use whatever criteria is most important to you.

OP
V

valinrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They both can export to jpeg or PDF,

I think the both do that. Also, PNG files, too, at least for TurboScan. When I pick an app, I do look at the overall rating and the number of users used for that rating. But price and the kind of iPad support the app has are important too. So you need to use whatever criteria is most important to you.

Thanks Sir for your reply. Now I know what I app that I am gonna get

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about Genius Scan? It's free, but seems just like other paid scan app. Wrong? Since I haven't used paid scan app, Please let me know if there is/are big difference(s) in function/usage. Thanks

eajustin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Genius Scan regularly. Just scan and email. No need for a traditional scanner. You can also use a stand for holding such as the one at ipaddocumentcamera.com

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem with scanning certain barcodes (like pdf417) is that they have been designed (in the 90s) to be scanned using a laser, not a camera. So regardless what app you have, it just will not scan such barcode because of the hardware (camera) limitation.

If you read the thread more carefully you'll see the discussion is about scanning documents, not bar codes. While a camera is not an ideal substitute for a dedicated scanner, most of the software compensates for imperfect camera angles and lighting. The results are usable for most applications.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How about Genius Scan? It's free, but seems just like other paid scan app. Wrong? Since I haven't used paid scan app, Please let me know if there is/are big difference(s) in function/usage. Thanks

Mostly it's because it's an iPhone app. It will work, but the UI is optimized for a phone. Personally, for something that I'd use every day, I'd rather spend the money for an app that looks and works great on the iPad's larger screen.

But, I have and do use a few iPhone apps when they are the only option available and/or the price of the iPad equivalent is too much for something that I rarely use. Doesn't happen often though.

Most reactions

Latest posts