What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2screen bleeding

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
owenmorris said:
Hi guy's has anybody in the UK actually had any sense from their apple store reference light bleeding, I have phoned my local store at metro centre and it's as if they not aware of any problems and that I should book an appointment to see a genius. What I want to know is when they will get stock in so as I can take my iPad back as it's like 50 mile round trip and don't want to waste my time and fuel.

Probably best to ring them and see if they have the model you want and if they do, then it will be safe to drive.

OP
F

Freebo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the % of people who do not have bleeding issues to people who do.

And if it's a batch issue or limited to countries.

Mklooster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad 2 yesterday and I was concerned with all of this backlight bleeding talk, but so far I have only noticed it a tiny bit in the bottom right corner of my device. I have also heard that this is due to Apple not giving the glue enough time to settle and dry all of the way, and that this problem should fix itself within a couple of weeks. Overall though I really love the new iPad and I was extremely fortunate to get one.

owenmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update:
Hi guys spoke with apple again today and they are replacing my iPad, today was the first time I got an admission from a member of apple that there is a problem with some iPads probably first batch, what he actually said is they are rushed out from factory that quick some of the adhesive has not had time to fully dry and most will correct themselves in time. I can keep or replace my unit.

I must say this is my first apple product and I am well impressed with my iPad and think customer service is excellent actually seems it's a company that cares....

Owen

PS tnx to this great forum to been very helpful

Mklooster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
owenmorris said:
Update:
Hi guys spoke with apple again today and they are replacing my iPad, today was the first time I got an admission from a member of apple that there is a problem with some iPads probably first batch, what he actually said is they are rushed out from factory that quick some of the adhesive has not had time to fully dry and most will correct themselves in time. I can keep or replace my unit.

I must say this is my first apple product and I am well impressed with my iPad and think customer service is excellent actually seems it's a company that cares....

Owen

PS tnx to this great forum to been very helpful

You are right that apple has great customer service all of my experiences with apple have been terrific they really know how to keep me buying their products rather than windows.

funforums5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed something about my backlight issue. I have a few spots on the sides of my screen that around look like half a penny, some smaller. When I push down on the side touching my biggest spot, it makes a little pop noise. But when I push down on the smaller ones, theres no noise, and the spot gets to the size of a half dollar. Luckily, when I stop pushing down it goes away. I heard that places books on top an iPad 2 could fix the issue, but after doing this I think it might do the opposite, and make it worst.

Mklooster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
funforums5 said:
I noticed something about my backlight issue. I have a few spots on the sides of my screen that around look like half a penny, some smaller. When I push down on the side touching my biggest spot, it makes a little pop noise. But when I push down on the smaller ones, theres no noise, and the spot gets to the size of a half dollar. Luckily, when I stop pushing down it goes away. I heard that places books on top an iPad 2 could fix the issue, but after doing this I think it might do the opposite, and make it worst.

If it does this you should be able to take it to the apple store and get it replaced with a new one. Apple is aware of this problem and most stores have a reserve for problems like this so you shouldn't have to wait.

uncleguito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah that pushing noise definitely doesn't sound good. A bit of bleed has started to develop on mine near the corners but I'm not worried yet...

smokeygaday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just got my replacement unit...

I got my ipad 2 on release day (3/11/11) and noticed the light leak immediately. I debated whether or not to move forward with getting a replacement and finally decided last week that it was worth trying to get a better unit. I received my replacement today (4/25/11). The unit on the right is the original and the replacement is on the left. The replacement is still not "perfect" (I know the technology his limitations) but it's somewhat of an improvement. It still seems to leak in the same areas (bottom and left edges) but to a lesser extent. Both units in the picture are set to full brightness.

ipad2lightleak-originalandreplacement-1.jpg

testerdennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow I just turned up the brightness to full and checked mine and it looks worse than yours. I will give Apple a call see what they say. Thanks for the pics.

testerdennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a follow up I just got off the phone with Apple. I spoke with a very pleasant rep and he informed me that this is wide spread problem. He said that basically there is a problem with the screens from the supplier and they will have it all corrected soon. Some screens are worse than the others. I can take it back and they will give me a replacement, it may be better or worse. My other option is to wait for a month or so to get one from the next batch. I will just wait it out for the new batch.
83c611c1.png

Last edited:

smokeygaday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an update to my previous post, I did discover after a few days of use that the amount of light leak in my new unit was fairly noticeable on the bottom and left sides (this was hard to see in the photo I posted). Still better than my original unit but noticeable. Not a deal breaker by any means, just not what I thought I'd get from an apple product.

I called the apple rep that had been handling my case and he basically said at this point the issue is hit or miss and that apple is working to figure it out.

I still think iPad 2 is an incredible device and have no remorse in buying it or dissatisfaction with the unit I have. Hopefully apple will get this right when they release retina on iPad 3!

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad 2

Hi all

Do you think the screen bleeding on the ipad2 issue issue ?

I wonder how many people have the problem ?

I bought a black one and it has screen bleeding so I returned it and got a new one but same issue.

So is it really a problem and how many people have it and put up with it ?

Im not sure if to keep this one or return it or even if it was just a wrong batch.

Well my iPad 2 did have some slight bleeding when I first received it. Now less then 3 months later the bleeding has spread so bad that Im now forced to exchange it.

Most reactions

Latest posts