What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[iPad2 WiFi] Update from iOS 5 to 6.1.2, restore Data

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 WiFi only with iOS 5. It is jailbroken.
Can I update to 6.1.2 only, Jailbreak and then restore all previous apps and their data?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad2 WiFi only with iOS 5. It is jailbroken.
Can I update to 6.1.2 only, Jailbreak and then restore all previous apps and their data?

The only iOS version that you can update to is iOS 6.1.3, which has no jailbreak.

OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only iOS version that you can update to is iOS 6.1.3, which has no jailbreak.

Does that mean that the iPad can be only updated to latest version by iTunes? Is there no provision for offline firmware install?
In case 6.1.3 gets jailbroken in future, would I be able to restore my apps and their data after update?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no other way to upgrade/restore/update the iPad's iOS other than to use iTunes. Yes, you can now install incremental updates from Apple over-the-air, but that's the only "different" way, there is no other offline method.

And, I guess I don't understand your question. Unless you are talking about specific jail break tweaks, you don't lose apps and data on an upgrade as long ad you (1) make a backup before the update and (2) restore from that backup once you are on the new firmware. I've been upgrading since iOS 3.x and, using my backups every time, I've never lost data or apps. apple has designed a pretty good system for keep ]ing your "stuff' when you upgrade the iOS.

Now, no, you won't have your jail break tweaks. And, no iOS 6.1.3 is unjailbreakble at this time (and probably never will). But, should we get a new iOS version that is jail breakable, then you'll be able to put your Cydia tweaks back on. Cydia is like the AppStore in that aspect q once you buy a tweak, it's yours and it can be re-installed.

How some of this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
J

jesrani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no other way to upgrade/restore/update the iPad's iOS other than to use iTunes. Yes, you can now install incremental updates from Apple over-the-air, but that's the only "different" way, there is no other offline method.

And, I guess I don't understand your question. Unless you are talking about specific jail break tweaks, you don't lose apps and data on an upgrade as long ad you (1) make a backup before the update and (2) restore from that backup once you are on the new firmware. I've been upgrading since iOS 3.x and, using my backups every time, I've never lost data or apps. apple has designed a pretty good system for keep ]ing your "stuff' when you upgrade the iOS.

Now, no, you won't have your jail break tweaks. And, no iOS 6.1.3 is unjailbreakble at this time (and probably never will). But, should we get a new iOS version that is jail breakable, then you'll be able to put your Cydia tweaks back on. Cydia is like the AppStore in that aspect q once you buy a tweak, it's yours and it can be re-installed.

How some of this clarifies.

Marilyn

Thanks for the reply. When I connected my iPad 2 to the PC today and opened iTunes, I get a message that a newer version 6.0.1 is available. Does this mean that it will actually update to 6.0.1 and NOT 6.1.3. Would this mean that after updating to 6.0.1, iTunes would offer update to 6.1.2?
After updating, do I have to just restore backup? I always thought restoring would restore iOS version to old as well, it's all a bit confusing for me.
Would the restore install all the apps and games as well? Sorry for the silly questions.
Possible to save SHSH blobs while updating?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. When I connected my iPad 2 to the PC today and opened iTunes, I get a message that a newer version 6.0.1 is available. Does this mean that it will actually update to 6.0.1 and NOT 6.1.3. Would this mean that after updating to 6.0.1, iTunes would offer update to 6.1.2?
After updating, do I have to just restore backup? I always thought restoring would restore iOS version to old as well, it's all a bit confusing for me.
Would the restore install all the apps and games as well? Sorry for the silly questions.
Possible to save SHSH blobs while updating?

As has already been said, your iPad will be on iOS 6.1.3, after updating, despite any message to the contrary from your computer. Regarding the message from your PC, do you have an active Internet connection on your PC? That could explain the out of date update Message from your PC.Updating and restoring from a backup are separate operations.

Most reactions

Latest posts