What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 usb charging

anykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently got a second hand iPad 2, upgraded to ios 5.1 and find that it does not charge (displays "Not charging" at the top right) when I plug it to the usb port of my computer. I can see that other ios 5.1 devices like iPhone can charge with the computer's usb port. Then why does iPad 2 refuse to charge via usb?

Any ideas?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is because the USB port on your computer is not supplying enough power to fully charge your iPad however, despite it saying that it is not charging it is in fact trickle charging.

The Archangel

OP
A

anykate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
It is because the USB port on your computer is not supplying enough power to fully charge your iPad however, despite it saying that it is not charging it is in fact trickle charging.

The Archangel

Thanks a lot! So i suppose this is a problem with all iPad 2???? And how about iPad 3??? Is this a universal problem? Do i need to contact Apple?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not a problem at all, it's how it works, your USB port on your computer is unlikely to be able so supply the full power needed to charge an iPad. That's why the iPad comes with a charger.

The Archangel

Most reactions