What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 upgradable to G4

anniep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade the ipad 2 for G4 network when available? I hate to buy one if I will be stuck in the G3 world.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade the ipad 2 for G4 network when available?

I am sorry, but the iPad 2 will not be upgradable to 4G. There has been been speculation that the iPad 3 will be, however, that might not come out till next year.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that 4G is yet a true standard although I’ve heard of similar talk. I suppose when that happens, my GF will be happy to receive my obsolete iPad2 of which I'm still waiting delivery...

Last edited:

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live and work in the Boston, MA area - not exactly a low-density, low-tech environment. 4G, you must be kidding me. Neither VZW (my personal wireless devices) nor AT&T (corporate BB) can provide a reliable 3G connection during my commute or on the weekends. So, I'd settle for consistent 3G coverage...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a wifi only iPad 2 that I use in conjunction with a Verizon 4G mobile hotspot. That's really the only option since the 3G and 4G networks require different radios. Thus, the iPad 2 cannot be "upgraded" without a hardware modification and that ain't happenin'.

The advantage, of course, is that in areas where 4G is available, I get near desktop wired cable speeds. Likewise, I don't have to have a 3G iPad, saving me the $130 premium for that model. Further, the mobile router can be used with my laptop and my smartphone along with the iPad. (A similar approach is available if you tether a 4G smartphone to your iPad.)

The disadvantage is that I have a two year contract with Verizon (rather than the month to month 3G contract available with the iPad) and the cost is $50 per month rather than $30.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I just read that link and couldnt find where it said that iPad 3 would be out in september.....not that I would believe it if it did?

The Archangel

Sorry for the miss lead my point was that they May just jump the gun and release it Sept. With IOS 5 to shunt the many new androids now on the market. Maybe the article does fully support my post

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mikeypm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:
Sorry for the miss lead my point was that they May just jump the gun and release it Sept. With IOS 5 to shunt the many new androids now on the market. Maybe the article does fully support my post

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Can't see apple releasing iPad 3 when they are still trying to keep up with demand for the iPad 2 and the iPad and ipad2 are still doing better than android tablets as it's not all about specs it's what the tablet can do and the apps available and android Market is nowhere near as good as the app store and the blackberry playbook may boast it can play flash but how many apps does it have and the screen is too small

Most reactions

Latest posts