What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 no sound

tanea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I was watching Netflix and all of a sudden my sound dies. I get all sounds from my headphones, but the only thing I get from the speakers are intermittent lock screen sounds, and the sound it makes when you change ringtones\volume of ringtones.

Yes I checked all my mute settings, my lock rotation, and the one on the app bar. I soft reset it, and the reset it fully. Still no sounds. Any help would be appreciated.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I was watching Netflix and all of a sudden my sound dies. I get all sounds from my headphones, but the only thing I get from the speakers are intermittent lock screen sounds, and the sound it makes when you change ringtones\volume of ringtones.

Yes I checked all my mute settings, my lock rotation, and the one on the app bar. I soft reset it, and the reset it fully. Still no sounds. Any help would be appreciated.

There are few other things you could try. Sorry if you have already done these.

1) It's possible the system sound engine could sometimes crash due to the operation of another app -- possibly Netflix under certain usage? Try this:
General>Sounds and go to the sound slider. Slide it to completely silent and then slide it to full volume. Go out and then back to the Sound slider and move it to normal listening volume.

2) The internal state of the app may have been corrupted in some way. Double click on the Home button and then hold down the app in the task bar below until they all jiggle. Delete all the apps to clear them out of cache and restart your iPad.

3) if these don't work, delete the Netflix app and re-download it.

If these don't work it means I've run out of ideas and someone with technical knowledge just above quite mediocre may chip in.
Regards, Andrew

Oh, sorry! In concentrating on all this I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome Tanea!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
tanea

tanea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but it's not just Netflix. It's all sounds, except for when I go into the settings and change the ringtone volume. Not the text tones, or any other system sounds. Only sound with the ringtone. No keyboard clicks or anything. Yet all the sounds work with the head phones in. I don't think I am explaining this very well...

Thanks for the welcome! So far this is an interesting place .

And it just made a sound when I got an email. With it in sleep mode with the cover closed... grrrrrr

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Tanea - a second warm welcome to the forum! :)

Now, just as a simple 'double check' on doing the 'Reset' - please see below and make sure that is the procedure you used - if Andrew's excellent suggestions and a correct 'Reset' do not work, then I also have no further suggestions - a visit to an Apple store may be in order unless one of our tech savvy members 'chimes in' - good luck! Dave

Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If this no sound problem persists, no matter what's playing on the iPad, there is the possibility that the speaker or its connections is defective. A visit to the Genius Bar at an Apple store for an analysis of the problem is warranted. If it is a hardware fault and your warranty is still in effect, you should receive a free exchange for a new or refurbished iPad. Make sure to back up your iPad before taking it in, so you can setup the new iPad from the backup of your existing iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts