What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2, my First Apple computer product

Spanamana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've finally done it, after years of rejecting Apple products (iPod excepted), I've purchased an iPad2 (64Gb 3G if anyone's counting).

I think this may well be the end of my reputation. Over the years I have constantly taken the p*ss about BMW's and Apple computers. Now I have both, of woe is me.

One question I must ask though is how you cope long term with the awful restrictions that Apple put upon their computer users that stop you from getting full benefit from their products: iTunes, DRM, App Strore, etc.

Whilst looking through the App Store I noticed that there does not appear to be any "utilities" as I would expect from a PC based product. Why is this?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a gadget not a pc, but get them hooked together and you have awesome synergy.
Plus the awful restrictions become irrelevant as there are workarounds to most problems.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Mio_BB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm coming from the exact same place. My iPad2 is my first Apple product as well.

I was also surprised by the lack of system utilities but I think the basic idea behind that is that Apple believes that users should not have to manage/tweak the OS in any way or form except for the sparse setting that are available in options. In order to achieve some more control and ability to tweak I think You have to Jailbreak the device.

I have not done that yet. I have promised myself that I would give Apple the benefit of the doubt. Therefore I'm just enjoying carefree use of the iPad accepting that things are as they are and that for a large part of my needs they can be covered with an app. (the richness of apps in the App Store was after all the reason I went with the iPad in the first place)

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same boat here. I love my iPad2. I write on it all the time (essays, stories, restaurant reviews) and can't wait to replace my old, worn down single core Windows 7 PC with an iMac later on this year.

Ayrshire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am like yourself. Other than an iPod nano,this is my first experience with Apple.
Also thinking of replacing my PC with a Mac once it kicks the dust.

OP
Spanamana

Spanamana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must admit, so far so good. I like the gesture method of navigation. My only wish is that it was on all the apps. It would be nice to stroke the screen to move back a page on Safari. Shame that.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a way to get extended gesture support, but if you're patient, we should see them as an option in the next major os upgrade.

OP
Spanamana

Spanamana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, that gives me hope. Whilst I can understand 3rd party apps being under functional I'm surprised that Apple products are too. I'm impressed that you recommend patience with your name ;-). You're certainly not living up to it I'm glad to see.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol Recommend but often fail to observe.

"Post hasty and repent at leisure"

SherryW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered my first Apple product as well - iPad 2!

My 10 year old is an avid Mac user, as well as her iTouch, and my husband who HATED Blackberry, LOVES his iPhone, and wouldn't go without it.
I have been waiting so long to get on board with Apple and am so excited.
I currently have a Dell PC that is just overloaded with work and personal items.. it's a boring work horse, and a new Blackberry Torch that gives me a headache!
Can't wait for two weeks from now to get my delayed Mother's Day present!
I did not order the smart cover yet.. does anyone have any reviews on it?
Thanks, and I look forward to learning alot!

Next purchase will be a nice big screen Mac for home/family use!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
SherryW said:
My 10 year old is an avid Mac user, as well as her iTouch, and my husband who HATED Blackberry, LOVES his iPhone, and wouldn't go without it.
I have been waiting so long to get on board with Apple and am so excited.
I currently have a Dell PC that is just overloaded with work and personal items.. it's a boring work horse, and a new Blackberry Torch that gives me a headache!
Can't wait for two weeks from now to get my delayed Mother's Day present!
I did not order the smart cover yet.. does anyone have any reviews on it?
Thanks, and I look forward to learning alot!

Next purchase will be a nice big screen Mac for home/family use!

depends one what you want, the smart cover protects just the screen, I ended up getting a third party leather case

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Sherry! and welcome to the forum, the best place for any kind of help you might need with your new iPad2. The rest of the family is TRULY going to be jealous, believe me!! Hope you are in to the SHARING thing - I could not do it and thankfully I don't have to. Again, welcome and good luck and have fun!!!

Chiky

Most reactions

Latest posts