What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Apple product.

tjmaxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, open the xmas gift, thought ok maybe I will have a use for this, started to think of all the possibilities at work and was getting happy. Plugged it in, charged it up over night and turned it on. Hmmmmm, I see a picture of a USB cabel and plug and an Itunes Logo, thats it. Plugged it into my desktop computer, a window pops up asking what I would like to do. Tried all of them and nothing happens. Looks like the unit is defective straight off the shelf. Now I am starting to remember why I never bought an apple product before. Any suggestions out there other then return it and get my $1000 + back?

OP
T

tjmaxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then to make things even better, Apple wants me to make a downpayment before they will even try to answer my problem. Of course I can get it back if I am not 100% satisfied with the help. WTF??????????????

OP
T

tjmaxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never used Itunes before, so no, no Itunes on my desktop. Looking at the online PFD file for beginners, I am not getting the screen they say should be there when you first turn it on for initial set up

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Download itunes and then try connecting your ipad to your Pc. It sounds like your looking at the manual for iOS5 which your device may not yet have installed, so its slightly different for the setup.

OP
T

tjmaxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, downloaded Itunes 10 i think it was, plugged in the Ipad and now things are showing up. Thanks DefBref. Must I have a SIM card in it to use it?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Not necessarily, it depends if you wish to connect to the internet via 3g or not, if your happy connecting via wifi only then you don't need a sim.

Sn0w0nS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tjmaxx said:
Hmmmmm, open the xmas gift, thought ok maybe I will have a use for this, started to think of all the possibilities at work and was getting happy. Plugged it in, charged it up over night and turned it on. Hmmmmm, I see a picture of a USB cabel and plug and an Itunes Logo, thats it. Plugged it into my desktop computer, a window pops up asking what I would like to do. Tried all of them and nothing happens. Looks like the unit is defective straight off the shelf. Now I am starting to remember why I never bought an apple product before. Any suggestions out there other then return it and get my $1000 + back?

Yes you just have to download iTunes from the apple website, and if you upgrade it to iOS 5 you dont need a computer anymore.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
emoticon-object-100.gif

Welcome!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
BTW, there should have been a small, easily overlooked, card in the box that would have told you that you needed the latest version of iTunes to activate the iPad. I know Apple is into tasteful, but I can't help but sometimes think that the card should be about the size of the iPad, and glued to the front screen. :D

Most reactions