What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 lost GSM after "critical update" in Cydia July, 14

fre_ber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I was happy with my jailbroken iPad2, 4.3.3 until I installed the "critical update" that Cydia prompted a few days ago, while I was on holiday. I saw Comex twittered about it and figured that it would be best to install it. Since then, my iPad refuses to connect to my 3G operator with the message "Restricted Network". I searched for a solution but found only very old posts about similar issues on old jailbroken iPhones. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a fix?

I have a fairly recent backup made in iTunes, one made before installing the upgrade. Can I safely use that to return to the previous state or will Apple do something nasty if I try? I also have an SHSH blob saved for 4.3.3, but I understand that this isn't useful yet...

Of course, I would prefer not to restore the backup since I have a lot of new data on my device. As in photos, texts, map bookmarks, etc that I would have to salvage before I try anything drastic.

I have installed one or two apps from Cydia around the same time I lost GSM as well, I think it was the demo of iFile and the free Safari download plugin. I don't see how any of those could be to blame and assume that it was the JB update that messed things up.

Edit: Drat, I might have posted in the wrong forum as this is a question and not a tutorial. I humbly beg a moderator to move it for me as I can't find a way to do it myself. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
fre_ber:

Let's try one or two things first (or both):

1) Have you done a reboot of your iPad? The one where you hold both the sleep and home buttons, the screen goes dark (the slide to unlock may or may not appear) until the white Apple appears... That takes care of a surprisingly large amount of iPad troubles. Once the iPad shows the homescreen, try your 3G connection again

If that didn't help, try this:

2) Go to Cydia and uninstall the two tweaks (or more) you loaded. Then do step one above. Then, try your 3G connection again.

Sometimes, tweaks and apps from Cydia don't play well with the iPad - or even with each other. The goal here is to try to put your iPad back to where it was. That way, you can see if it truly was the Critical Update.

I've not heard of the update causing this kind of trouble, but there's always a first time. If you remove stuff that was put on at the same time, this will help figure out what causing the trouble.

Please let us know how this worked.

Marilyn

OP
F

fre_ber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are a life-saver. :)

I had rebooted my device between now and then, but I am quite certain that there was no GSM coverage in the area the device was in when it booted up last time. Perhaps that was the reason - the network had to be there on startup.

I was worried and the simplest trick saved the day. How come I didn't think of rebooting? I have been working with Microsoft products for years, it ought to have been the first thought. *grin*

Thanks again!

/ Happy again

Most reactions