What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 Home Button unresponsive

micheal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently started experiencing an issue with the Home button on my iPad 2. Occasionally, pressing it will do nothing. So I press it again -- sometimes upwards of 4 or 5 presses before it finally responds. I'm not mashing the button and am certain that each press is an appropriate amount of force (I proudly own an iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, iPad 1 and now iPad 2, so I'm confident about how much force to press these Home buttons).
I tried power cycling the iPad 2, but that didn't help. I closed all running applications. At first, that seemed to work. For several hours, the Home button was perfectly responsive.
But alas, here I am this evening, again frustrated with the non-responsive Home button. At times, I can't even turn on my iPad since the button won't respond for several seconds.

Again, this is occurring whether I'm using my configuration (latest IOS version) or even with the factory default setting.

Could really use some help or advice. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Micheal

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently started experiencing an issue with the Home button on my iPad 2. Occasionally, pressing it will do nothing. So I press it again -- sometimes upwards of 4 or 5 presses before it finally responds. I'm not mashing the button and am certain that each press is an appropriate amount of force (I proudly own an iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, iPad 1 and now iPad 2, so I'm confident about how much force to press these Home buttons).
I tried power cycling the iPad 2, but that didn't help. I closed all running applications. At first, that seemed to work. For several hours, the Home button was perfectly responsive.
But alas, here I am this evening, again frustrated with the non-responsive Home button. At times, I can't even turn on my iPad since the button won't respond for several seconds.

Again, this is occurring whether I'm using my configuration (latest IOS version) or even with the factory default setting.

Could really use some help or advice. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Micheal

Of course, you don't need to use the Home button to turn the iPad on - the Power button can be used for that. To put it into Sleep mode you can set auto-lock to a sufficiently short time too. OK - not a solution but a temporary work around. You say that you've tried a power reset and that has not helped. I guess that - as a precursor to returning it to the Apple Store - I'd try a reboot just in case - hold the Power and Home key down together for about 10-15 seconds (OK - it will have to be one of those times when the Home key is working!) until the white Apple logo appears and then wait for the reboot to complete. It takes a while, so you need to be patient.

Apple paid particular attention to the selection of the switch under the Home button because they recognised that it's probably the most used control on the iPad but I have heard of another case of a failure, so it's not completely unheard of.

Let us know how you get on..

Tim

Bone1986

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my 32gb White iPad for a week now and have also noticed that the home button response can vary. It seems to be an intermittent problem, when it occurs I find that instead of just pushing the home button it will need to be held in for a few seconds. This is slightly annoying and I will keep an eye on this thread to see if there is a solution or if I will need to return my iPad.

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my new iPod Touch. I was thinking maybe it was just me - glad to hear others are also having the same problem.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Bone1986 said:
I have had my 32gb White iPad for a week now and have also noticed that the home button response can vary. It seems to be an intermittent problem, when it occurs I find that instead of just pushing the home button it will need to be held in for a few seconds. This is slightly annoying and I will keep an eye on this thread to see if there is a solution or if I will need to return my iPad.

Hmz, I wonder if the other users having the home button issue also have fairly new devices

OP
M

micheal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
me too KarlaMonique I want to replace and thx everyone for answer

Bpfjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issues with my iPad 2 home button. Big issue when you cannot exit an app to launch another. This is heavily discussed in numerous other forums on the Web and some even suggest that Apple is fully aware and have replaced iPad2s without so much as checking the problem in the Apple stores.

Bpfjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.... And ... I seem to have the issue most when I am in my email application and want to exit. I believe it is a software and hardware issue. I'm going to attempt to replace my device at an apple store.

Bone1986

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a follow up to my earlier post, I thought I would let you know that the issue with the home button on my iPad seems to have resolved its self of it's own accord. I haven't had any problems for around a month now.

Sent from my iPad2 using IPF

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bpfjr said:
.... And ... I seem to have the issue most when I am in my email application and want to exit. I believe it is a software and hardware issue. I'm going to attempt to replace my device at an apple store.

I suspect that it may be purely a software issue.

seamaster97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
I suspect that it may be purely a software issue.

I had this problem with my iPad 1 before I purchased my iPad 2. But when I upgraded it to 4.3.3, the problem was resolved - over three days, and gradually. Very strange. Clearly was a software issue in my case.

Bpfjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interestingly, I too have not had this issue in a while either. Miraculously resolved itself - for now.

Mattttttthew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak it or get the iOS 5 beta version, you will be able to use the multitasking gestures to go back to home screen.

Most reactions

Latest posts