What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 and iphone interconnection

dennisski81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a simple device that will allow me to connect my iPad and iPhone? I have the wifi only iPad, and, when don't have wifi available, iPhone connection would add remote usability and phone connectivity. Your suggestions? Dennisski81

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone4 and the latest iOS you can set up the iPhone to be a WiFi hotspot in 'Settings' and the iPad can connect to that - nothing else needed.....

Tim

OP
D

dennisski81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim
I have iPhone 3 with latest os. Settings shows wifi setup. Will this work? Dennisski81

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - unfortunately, I don't think it will. I think - but I am happy to be corrected - it has to be an iPhone4.

Tim

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use Bluetooth tethering to connect the 3GS with the iPad for Internet access.

-t

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dennisski,

You don't say if your iPad/iPhone are jailbroken, and/or what carrier you are subscribed to with the phone. The legit., paid tethering plan would have to be paid for and enabled for that kind of operation, or.... you would have to add one of the jailbroken apps which will establish a tethering scheme on your phone. With pre-4 models, I'm not sure about the fine details of it all, but that's the basic requirements to do what you are asking about.

I have both the Verizon paid tethering plan, and also MiWi running on both iPad2 and iPhone4.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
D

dennisski81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From Dennisski .. AT&T does not support Bluetooth connection to Ipad 2

After spending a lot of time with AT&T, I changed my account to access both Hot Spot and Bluetooth tethering. The Iphone3 would connect only for a short time, then disconnect on the tethering and would not reconnect. Working with AT&T, they researched the problem through three different levels, and came back with IPhone3 does not work with tethering the IPad 2, unless I wanted to wire them thogether through ups cable. To do that, I would have to turn off the WiFi on the Iphone. So I changed back my account to the less expensive ($15 dollars/month) 2 Gig service.
Please let me know if you have another solution.

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My 3GS and my iPad tether with Bluetooth, no problem. I don't know about the standard 3G.

OP
D

dennisski81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
k7lvo said:
My 3GS and my iPad tether with Bluetooth, no problem. I don't know about the standard 3G.

I also have IPone 3GS. Cannot get it to tether with IPad2. Getting nowhere with AT&T support, even though hooking up to their
Service supporting hotspot and tethering. What did you do to get it to work? both devices have most current OS 4.3. Help please k7klvo, and others who have conquered this issue. Dennisski81

OP
D

dennisski81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From Dennisski81.
I have the IPone GS3 and cannot get it to tether to my iPad 2. I have had a second session with AT&T and they concluded, for a second time, that the Iphone 3gs will not tether with Ipad2. pAfter spending a lot of time with AT&T, I changed my account to access both Hot Spot and Bluetooth tethering. The Iphone3 would connect only for a short time, then disconnect on the tethering and would not reconnect. Working with AT&T, they researched the problem through three different levels, and came back with IPhone3 does not work with tethering the IPad 2, unless I wanted to wire them thogether through ups cable. To do that, I would have to turn off the WiFi on the Iphone. So I changed back my account to the less expensive ($15 dollars/month) 2 Gig service.
Please let me know if you have another solution.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tether a 3GS phone with an iPad 2 all the time. Never had any problem with Bluetooth tethering.

This is not with AT&T, but I don't know why that should matter.

-t

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have used iPhone 3GS to tether nicely with either iPad 1 and/or 2, but they are all JB. I use mainly MyWi, and lately PDANet with no problems at all..both apps from Cydia. I do not set up the personal hotspot to access, but use one of these programs. Mind you, you could get a letter from AT&T, if you do so w/out paying their tethering fee. I'm wondering if you could pay the tether fee and still use one of the above programs...don't know. I use AT&T.

annyjay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad and Iphone 3g

I have a Iphone 3G and and Ipad 2 (not jailbroken) and have no problem tethering. As someone has pointed out previously it's done through bluetooth. The Ipad runs beautifully on the 3G connection. My data plan does allow tethering, some do not.

Most reactions

Latest posts