What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD1 crashing

JMD67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently, my Ipad has begun "crashing" when I use the internet, iTunes store, etc. I never had this issue until the past several weeks. I don't believe it is a problem with the wireless signal as my wife's IPAD doesn't seem to have a similar issue. Anyone else having this problem and, if so, any suggestionns? Thank you.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently, my Ipad has begun "crashing" when I use the internet, iTunes store, etc. I never had this issue until the past several weeks. I don't believe it is a problem with the wireless signal as my wife's IPAD doesn't seem to have a similar issue. Anyone else having this problem and, if so, any suggestionns? Thank you.
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your problem. If an app or even the iPad gets temperamental there are a couple of things you can do. First is to simply quit the app and reopen it. If that does't work you can try turning your iPad off and on again and if it's still not working, try resetting your iPad. Here's what I'd recommend in this order...

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

In the meantime, there are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

Welcome again and enjoy!

iCrank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with the above statement the iPad apps will crash if all available memory is running low

Sent from my iPad using iPF

sspryte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have tried restarting and resetting my iPad but the damn thing is still crashing on me. This is getting totally annoying! It does not matter what app I am using. it just crashed 4 times while using safari and trying to open a web page. it also just crashed while trying to use the app store.
Michelle

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please read this link to another thread but in the iPad2 Forum. It is a good discussion on how memory is used. Particularly critical for us iPad1 owners, is that our devices have half as much memory an iPad2 has to manage applications. Since reading this thread, it occurred to me that I needed to watch how my apps interact with the memory on this iPad1.

Based on a suggestion in this thread, I checked out the history page of Safari, I was amazed at how many websites I have visited. I have cleared that history, and now Safari works so much better. For me, when every page I visited was represented by a little icon, I had a visual representation on what I was doing in Safari. With this new version and some versions of apps, those visual representations are 'hidden'.

Here is the link:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/55146-ipad-2-16-gig-memory-issues.html

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look for an app called 'process killer' best 69p/99c you will ever spend.
Frees up all your memory.
I use it once a day and my iPad never crashes anymore

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, your best bet is to just close all the apps out of the multitasking bar every now and then.
Or you could be like me and be OCD about them, where you close them all out every time you quit an app. :)

nipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad also crashes alot , due to lack of memory , even closing every app does not help , plus with 5.01 the battery life sucks , have an ipad 1 wifi 64gb model

Gaius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both my wife and I have iPads and ONLY since the upgrade to 5.01 have we suffered apps dropping out. We have manually tried to keep the memory usage as low as possible but it seems to make no difference. My iPad 2 colleagues do not experience this. I wonder if the developers have pushed to OS a bit beyond iPad 1? It is the only fault with a superb piece of kit - the most useful piece of IT I have evr owned.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both my wife and I have iPads and ONLY since the upgrade to 5.01 have we suffered apps dropping out. We have manually tried to keep the memory usage as low as possible but it seems to make no difference. My iPad 2 colleagues do not experience this. I wonder if the developers have pushed to OS a bit beyond iPad 1? It is the only fault with a superb piece of kit - the most useful piece of IT I have evr owned.

Yep. Pretty much every app is made for iPad 2.
If only there was a way to upgrade the ram.....

stjohnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Yep. Pretty much every app is made for iPad 2.
If only there was a way to upgrade the ram.....

If they let people do that then there'd be no reason to release a new model every year

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have iPad 1 and 2, both on 5.0.1. I'm definitely seeing more Safari crashes on both iPads since upgrading, especially on iPad 1. My diagnostics log shows repeated RAM crashes.

I think Apple has pushed the firmware to a point that it's disruptive to owners. If they were upfront about things, they would warn owners, so they could decide whether to upgrade, or give people the chance to downgrade. As it is, they leave customers with devices that are sometimes less functional after upgrades. That happened with the iPhone 3, for instance, and led to at least one class-action lawsuit that I know of. I don't think the claimants won, but I see this as poor customer service, rather than a legal issue. And I say that as someone who isn't sue happy and who has gotten a lot enjoyment and use out of my iDevices. My iPhone 3 became pretty much unusable after the last upgrade, because Web surfing became Web doggie paddling instead.

Given my experiences with iPhone 3 and now iPad 1 and 2, I probably will steer clear of coming firmware upgrades on iPad 1 and 2 if possible, to prolong their functionality.

Most reactions

Latest posts