What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad1 crashing too much! Can i do anything?

ganyuehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently, my ipad1 has been crashing a lot. Usually it crashes from an app and returns to the main screen. It isn't exclusive to one app. Sometimes it's when I use text on sketchbook pro, use GarageBand or play Drawsomething Sometimes it's from safari or Facebook. I paid for 64 G and haven't used it all up, so wouldn't have thought it's a memory issue.

Can I do anything?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ganyuehan said:
Recently, my ipad1 has been crashing a lot. Usually it crashes from an app and returns to the main screen. It isn't exclusive to one app. Sometimes it's when I use text on sketchbook pro, use GarageBand or play Drawsomething Sometimes it's from safari or Facebook. I paid for 64 G and haven't used it all up, so wouldn't have thought it's a memory issue.

Can I do anything?

The iPad 1 only has 256GB of RAM, new apps and newer versions of older apps use more memory than older apps did. Also, apps in the multi task bar will use some memory, even though they aren't active. It's getting easier for the RAM on the iPad 1 to be overwhelmed, kicking you out of whatever app you're currently using. All you can do is make sure to close any apps you aren't currently using, to have as little going on in the background as possible.

BTW, storage memory is separate from system RAM and won't affect the performance of the iPad.

OP
G

ganyuehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The iPad 1 only has 256GB of RAM, new apps and newer versions of older apps use more memory than older apps did. Also, apps in the multi task bar will use some memory, even though they aren't active. It's getting easier for the RAM on the iPad 1 to be overwhelmed, kicking you out of whatever app you're currently using. All you can do is make sure to close any apps you aren't currently using, to have as little going on in the background as possible.

BTW, storage memory is separate from system RAM and won't affect the performance of the iPad.

Thanks! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - glad to see you on the forum! :)

You might want to give the procedures below a try, also - often solves problems that you described - good luck!

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); then press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
G

ganyuehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hello - glad to see you on the forum! :)

You might want to give the procedures below a try, also - often solves problems that you described - good luck!

Thanks very much. I'll give them a try.:)

Miata GT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had good luck using the System Status app from the App Store. It always me to periodically clear memory which helps with the crashing issue. Some apps are unusable anymore due to frequent crashes (Atomic Web).

OP
G

ganyuehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Miata GT said:
I've had good luck using the System Status app from the App Store. It always me to periodically clear memory which helps with the crashing issue. Some apps are unusable anymore due to frequent crashes (Atomic Web).

I'll try it. Thanks.:)

Most reactions