What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD...Will it do what I want?

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Balderdash, there are solutions for all of your needs. You do have to be willing to adapt, though--iPad does not have a file system like you're used to, in the interest of denying viruses a path to propagate. Your workflow will be a bit different, but the results should be the same. Lots of folks make a game of it, to see how far they can push this 'media consumption device' into doing useful work. You'll benefit from a spirit of adventure.

There are apps to grab web pages, and apps to play all types of video. The good ones include a wifi server, which you visit in your desktop or laptop browser, and just drag the files from Windows onto the iPad, no iTunes required. If you buy an iPad with 4G capability, it will fall back to your wireless data plan when wifi isn't available, as long as there's cell service.

I recommend that you try some of these apps on your iPhone, as a proof of concept. They'll all work much better on a larger screen, of course, but you'll get an idea of what's possible, and how many hoops you'll need to jump through. Then, if you decide it's all doable, you can spring for the iPad and get on with it.

BTW, I'm typing all this on my iPad's onscreen keyboard. With a positive attitude, it's not at all hard to get used to.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

I might add the Logitech Blue Tooth keyboard made for iPads, will make typing a lot simpler and quicker then just tapping on the iPad screen.

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also, if you are on the same wireless as your Mac or PC you can sync videos to the iPad without being physically connected - just plug your iPad into the wall somewhere in wireless range. You can drag the videos anytime and they should sync when you are ready, this works great on my iPhone too. You do still have to use iTunes though to do it.

OP
F

FBW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - I quite agree and is really the reason I wanted to present it on one.

Thanks for further comments all. Yes - the web pages will be iPad optimised and I'll seek out the "browse later" app, cheers

One more comment, assuming you are going to show off your web pages to prospective clients, I would be very impressed if you showed me your website on an iPad instead of a laptop. It looks very sophisticated and you spend very little time setting up your iPad. In the business world, using the latest technology, especially a tablet, garners a whole lot of pizzaz!

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had an Ipad since the One came out and one of my fun and challenging things to do is solve my friends' Ipad issues for business and personal. I have found, both for myself and my friends in various vocations, that I can generally find apps or combo of apps that works for them without carrying a laptop.

Personally, for saving web pages I often use a PDF converter and save as a PDF and am able to organize in both Noteability and Goodreader apps--and back them up to Dropbox (which can easily be your friend in dealing with Ipad and PC). I'm in US and do have a 3/4G Ipad 3 so am able to access my Dropbox anywhere--but those pages are also saved for offline reading in the two apps I prefer.

I don't know what's available in the UK but the cost of using your Iphone for hot spot might be well worth the additional cost to not have to carry a laptop--and for having that bit of cache' the Ipad might give you to your clients.

Diane

zunex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not about the iPad at all, in fact it depends on if there are apps that could provide the solution for your problems.

For synchronization nowadays I usually use Dropbox, because most of files needed to sync are documents.

Most reactions

Latest posts