What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do I want an SD slot and/or USB slot???

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Why is everyone gagging for these slots? What am I missing?

Ok, so these functions seem to be more photographic orientated? Isn't it just a case of syncing and memory management instead, which is just as convenient?

Just because your next new iPad now comes with a USB slot, that doesn't automatically mean you can just plug any USB device into it and be able to use them. You need specifics and apps to do this. The extent of my USB desk top use is mem flash drives and mouse/keyboards. The latter isn't needed, but the former? Again, not needed.
And SD slots? The convenience of file/photo transfer? This is more or less just as convienient as using the cloud or normal syncing.

Why is everyone desperate for SD/USB functionality? What am I missing? I certainly don't miss them one little bit.

Please enlighten me :)

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
USB can be used for storage and file mgmt. You may not have access to the cloud. You may be at work and want to take home some files, you may have a 16g and add a 32g USB so you have expandability. It just make file transfer simple

Reaction score
I think it was more of a real result of if the Ipad 3 has a usb slot type answer. If the Ipad 3 comes with one that doesn't mean it will be able to be used like a pc slot. My camera kit has a usb plug and an sdcard slot but I can't just plug and play everything I want by using the kit.
I think that's what it meant anyway. I could be wrong though, they might mean something else.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

GadgetGeek71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB can be used for storage and file mgmt. You may not have access to the cloud. You may be at work and want to take home some files, you may have a 16g and add a 32g USB so you have expandability. It just make file transfer simple

I agree. For those who do not have wireless (3G) access, being able to use external storage would be nice. Then again, the new Kingston wifi storage looks enticing.

Also, I remember when the first iPad came out, a lot of people were miffed that it didn't have any type of "slot", USB or memory. I think Apple made the decision to include them due to most of the Android devices come with one.

A possibility that marketing may have pushed this?

Reaction score
I don't have one on my ipad or Galaxy Tab (Android) and I don't miss not having them. Maybe it is because I can wifi hotspot from my phone to them, but I just don't miss it.
I'm still not seeing anything that says the next Apple stuff will have slots. Is there a news story I missed that says they will?

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Thanks guys. Now new news, just wondering what the big who-har is.

I can understand why better now you've said, but I still can't see why so many are miffed. I certainly haven't changed my mind on them.

Thanks guys

Techpaste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.techpaste.info
Well the sd slot allows me to upload photos while im on the go. I simply take sd out of my camera, put it in the ipad and upload them. I can then email friends, family or whoever my photos. Its great, saves me from having to carry a laptop around just to send photos.

Reaction score
Both my Ipad and Tab have available add on slots but the Android allows more than photo transfer via usb. The one for the Samsung is on back order right now but I can plug a card reader into it or any other USB device once it comes in.
I've used my camera kit on the Ipad just twice

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Most reactions

Latest posts