What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forget the Mini. I want a MAXiPad!

reaston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, 64 gigs just doesn't cut it. I have tons of comics, magazines, photos and a dozen or so of my favorite games on my 64 gigger. Maybe 4 gigs of music, 1 movie and a few TV shows... And I am out of space. Sure, great, I can pay for more space in the iCloud. Sorry, that sucks. Comic and magazine Apps don't work the same way... you cannot scroll through previews. Storing stuff in Dropbox just refills up the iPad when you try to download it.

We are in the third generation of the iPad and they have not once increased the storage space. This used to be a usual upgrade with the classic iPod. Every new generation had an increase in storage space... and that was just used for music. The iPad is used for so much more. (Of course the iPod Classic has been neglected for the past few years). I guess Apple has decided that for their own purposes, 16, 32 and 64 gigs are the perfect storage solutions and anyone that needs more can just pay for the cloud.

And call me crazy, but I'd even like a bigger screen! I want a 16x9 shaped screen with at least as much width, but I could stand even an inch wider. Like I said, I read a lot of comics and magazines on it and it would be great if the screen was a least as big as a comic book page. Also, 16x9 would be much better for viewing movies. They increased the size of the iPhone and even made the thing lighter, so I'm sure they could increase the size of the iPad without weight becoming a huge issue.

I could really care less about the upcoming iPad Mini... Go big or go home! Anyone else interested?

C'mon Apple. Give me the MAXiPAd! Uh, okay, you can change the name.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, if Apple decides go to a 16x9 format for the tablet, I'm done. I'll keep my iPad 3 until the end of time and never buy another tablet from them. Now, if they add an additional product with those dimensions, I'm ok with that (like a real TV or a table that is a tablet or whatever) . I have plenty of TVs (and other devices) and I prefer to watch first-rate movies on that will full surround sound and plenty of watts. I want a complete theater experience, in my home. The tablet is a poor substitue (IMO) for anyone that really enjoys films and such. For real work, I want to keep the 4x3 format.

Nothing at all wrong with comics, I enjoy them too, but I don't want 16x9 or even 16x10. Give me what we already have.

And yes, we need more storage space. And if you ask me, they are overcharging for additional storage. I'd like to see some justification for this other than "because you will pay for it". That is starting to get old as Apple now has more money than is reasonable.

I want the Mini....I see a need for a tab in that size, but I don't object to larger tablets.

Movies are only one activity that I engage in and the tablet, with those tiny speakers, is not the thing to optimize for movies. For the old stuff I want on mine, the 4x3 screen is better. I actually use th entire screen when watching ST: Voyager. To me, that is the stuff to watch on a tablet. Or youtube videos. Stuff I find interesting but not stuff that where I'm really looking for a theater experience.

OP
R

reaston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have have a home theater and much prefer to watch movies on that but, 16x9 has become the new standard. Not only HDTV's but computer monitors have adapted the wider view.

Anyway, my main complaint is the storage issue, and after three generations of the iPad, it doesn't look like Apple in interested in increasing the storage capacity.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
reaston said:
I also have have a home theater and much prefer to watch movies on that but, 16x9 has become the new standard. Not only HDTV's but computer monitors have adapted the wider view.

Anyway, my main complaint is the storage issue, and after three generations of the iPad, it doesn't look like Apple in interested in increasing the storage capacity.

I'm sure they will increase the storage in time however, they have to balance having a price that is optimum for sales and the costs of installing a higher storage capacity. As SSD prices drop then storage capacity will increase accordingly.

The Archangel

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Well, if Apple decides go to a 16x9 format for the tablet, I'm done. I'll keep my iPad 3 until the end of time and never buy another tablet from them. Now, if they add an additional product with those dimensions, I'm ok with that (like a real TV or a table that is a tablet or whatever) . I have plenty of TVs (and other devices) and I prefer to watch first-rate movies on that will full surround sound and plenty of watts. I want a complete theater experience, in my home. The tablet is a poor substitue (IMO) for anyone that really enjoys films and such. For real work, I want to keep the 4x3 format.

Nothing at all wrong with comics, I enjoy them too, but I don't want 16x9 or even 16x10. Give me what we already have.

And yes, we need more storage space. And if you ask me, they are overcharging for additional storage. I'd like to see some justification for this other than "because you will pay for it". That is starting to get old as Apple now has more money than is reasonable.

I want the Mini....I see a need for a tab in that size, but I don't object to larger tablets.

Movies are only one activity that I engage in and the tablet, with those tiny speakers, is not the thing to optimize for movies. For the old stuff I want on mine, the 4x3 screen is better. I actually use th entire screen when watching ST: Voyager. To me, that is the stuff to watch on a tablet. Or youtube videos. Stuff I find interesting but not stuff that where I'm really looking for a theater experience.

+1,000. Other than a transatlantic flight, I can't think of a reason to watch a film, especially an epic one, on a tablet. Just doesn't cut it. I prefer the 4x3 format too since it makes the device easier to hold and work with.

I do watch some older shows on the iPad, like the original twilight zone series. Now that's some good tablet watchin' programming. :)

As for space, I have plenty room left on my 32gb iPad 2. Everyone uses these things totally differently so storage reqs are a personal thing. The more, the merrier I suppose.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do watch some older shows on the iPad, like the original twilight zone series. Now that's some good tablet watchin' programming. :)

Another great example of good stuff to watch on iPad!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like more storage, but don't want a bigger screen. I watch stuff on iPad all the time, and the size works for me. If I wanted a bigger screen, I'd just watch on a TV. I'd rather have SD card or USB access, but will take more onboard storage otherwise.

I'd like more RAM, too. The new Samsung Galaxy Note phablet and MS Surface have 2GBs, for instance.

I find 7" tablets useful, but I'm probably going to skip the mini iPad, because it sounds like old tech repackaged. I'd rather get newer tech, with less obsolescence built in. I like portability, but mini iPad comes too late for me as well. I already bought my Galaxy Note months ago, and it offers me phone and mini tablet in one device, for days when I don't carry an iPad.

KarinainMilan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sooo agree about more memory! And I would also like an iPad with a larger screen! I am a translator, and while I still do most of my actual work on my pc because I use special translating software, I often use the iPad's enlargement capacity to view low or poor quality pdfs that I need to translate. A larger screen would be fab!
Here's to hoping!! :)

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Im happy on my ipad2 for now. The ipad mini is too small for me to enjoy browsing, and a larger screen than current would make the ipad too heavy, cumbersome and laptop like. I like it's speed and processing time, all i want now is lighter lighter lighter.

As it stands, the current size spec delivers perfect sizes for web browsing and portability for holding and single hand holding. Any more or less wouldn't be my cup of char.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
More storage space is always welcome. Actually, that's even more critical than RAM. I've never felt the iPad lacked RAM. Maybe it depends on what games and apps you play as to whether or not you'll notice ram problems?

Next time around, I'd probably go for the 64gb model even though I'm not taxing the storage now.

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand you really want to have all of your on it, Gabriel's opinion just hits the point, Apple will release different models of larger space and current ones have to be balance the prices. Wait and it will come true, any name will be great.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure they will increase the storage in time however, they have to balance having a price that is optimum for sales and the costs of installing a higher storage capacity. As SSD prices drop then storage capacity will increase accordingly.

The Archangel

And that I think is right. The iPad uses solid state, NAND flash drive memory and not hard drive with moving parts, and so we all enjoy the speed and reliability. And of course they are pushing iCloud, a nice source of revenue.
Any flash drive greater than 64gig would be much more costly, so interesting to speculate what iPad will do to compete with MS Surface, and what drive will Surface have anyway as competition.
(Sorry relating to Archangel's comment but off the rails re screen sizes)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
R

reaston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yippee. Along with iPad mini a new 4th gen iPad. And it looks like the same exact storage. Oh well.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Mini with current or more memory to toss in the car and go, more memory for the 4x3 format is greatly needed and x1000 on Voyager!!

Most reactions