What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD...Will it do what I want?

FBW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance.....Ive resisted reading all the hype about this new fangled gadget for the last few years purely because I didnt really need it. It took me quite a while to relent and get an iPhone which I must admit only gets used for telephone and texting...

Anyhow...I'm shortly changing my job and will be cold-calling prospective leads and am wondering if an iPad will do the things I need it to.
I need to be able to display websites OFFLINE. Does the iPad have a file storage facility, then, in the same way a laptop would?
Can I just transfer all my web pages to a folder c:\xxx on my iPad?
I suspect not.

I guess storing home made movies is the same way I would do it on the iPhone? ie plug it in...wait for iTunes to open...add movie to library....add movie to playlist ...sync.
Is there an easier way?
Ideally I'd like to place all the stuff I need on the iPad into 1 folder on my PC and when I click "Sync" it all gets transferred but I guess things arnt that simple are they?

Finally can one of you kind souls explain for the occasions I want to show a prospective client live web pages, and an internet connection is required, how do I ensure I always have one without asking for the clients password for his wi-fi?
Surely there must be a way to connect to the internet without bothering my client ?

Thanks for your help - I'd be extremely grateful if you could word your responses so a 12 year old would understand.

Last edited:

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From what I am reading you wrote I don't see much of it happening using the iPad as it is today. As for your client's WifI I don't see how you could access their Wifi without their pass words.

OP
F

FBW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks.
So it doesnt work same way as a laptop. Basically its a bigger iPhone?

I think I'll stick with a laptop then, cheers.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are apps for your iPad that will let you store and display websites offline, however with your attitude going in I would recommend you stay away from the iPad completely.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could always go for a 3/4G iPad, then you would have your own Internet on the road, and wouldn't have to bother about wifi. Alternatively, could you meet your clients in Starbucks?

With some care over setting up, iCloud is looking very much like the solution for people in your position. With automatic syncing between your iPad, iPhone and MBP, you should have access to your info with little effort.

Update a Pages document, and it's available to edit on your MBP when you get home. Add a contact on your iPhone, and it's available on your other devices.

I think, far from being cut down versions of computers, iPads are only beginning to scratch the surface of possibilities for those whose business involves travel.

OP
F

FBW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks thewitt
You misread my "attitude" as just stating facts. I wasnt saying I was disappointed in the iPad...just that considering the previous reply it seemed I would have to make do with a laptop then.

Now you informed me there are apps that will easily let me install web pages then the iPad is a distinct possibility. I certainly like the look of it and I know the clients will be impressed if I'm using that. Ive seen images displayed on them and the colours are tremendous....so much better than a laptop.

So a quicker and easier question....had I know the terms...would have been "Are there aps that will enable me to install and display a website offline to my clients on an iPad?"

Would you be so knd as to point me in the direction of them?

OP
F

FBW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aha...thanks KevinJS
so 3/4g allows a higher bandwidth ...but I dont understand how it all works. I would, presumably, have to tie it in with a phone contract and unfortunately I only just took one out for 2 years.
No, Starbucks wouldnt be an option.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. I just noticed you come from Blackpool in the UK, so 4G is out, for now at least. You should be able to get a data plan for your iPad that is completely independent of your phone contract. Since the iPad belongs to you, they run out quite cheap, as the company supplying your Internet is not subsidizing the price of your iPad.

I'm in Canada so I'm not up on UK providers, but I should think Virgin or BT should be able to hook you up with something. You can also tether your iPad to your iPhone and share the Internet connection, although some companies charge extra for this capability. Mine does not, so I've never bothered to get a plan for my iPad.

Pity about Starbucks. They make great coffee, and their wifi is reasonably fast.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FBW said:
Aha...thanks KevinJS
so 3/4g allows a higher bandwidth ...but I dont understand how it all works. I would, presumably, have to tie it in with a phone contract and unfortunately I only just took one out for 2 years.
No, Starbucks wouldnt be an option.

You can go the PAYG route rather than a full contract. Or get a wifi only iPad with a mifi unit (I have gone this route) and just top up date allowance as you need it.

The Archangel

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Balderdash, there are solutions for all of your needs. You do have to be willing to adapt, though--iPad does not have a file system like you're used to, in the interest of denying viruses a path to propagate. Your workflow will be a bit different, but the results should be the same. Lots of folks make a game of it, to see how far they can push this 'media consumption device' into doing useful work. You'll benefit from a spirit of adventure.

There are apps to grab web pages, and apps to play all types of video. The good ones include a wifi server, which you visit in your desktop or laptop browser, and just drag the files from Windows onto the iPad, no iTunes required. If you buy an iPad with 4G capability, it will fall back to your wireless data plan when wifi isn't available, as long as there's cell service.

I recommend that you try some of these apps on your iPhone, as a proof of concept. They'll all work much better on a larger screen, of course, but you'll get an idea of what's possible, and how many hoops you'll need to jump through. Then, if you decide it's all doable, you can spring for the iPad and get on with it.

BTW, I'm typing all this on my iPad's onscreen keyboard. With a positive attitude, it's not at all hard to get used to.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
F

FBW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all....and in particular LannyC.
Yes...that sounds like a plan....use my iPhone to see if what I want is achievable before I part with another 400 quid (to ensure it doesnt just attract dust)

Why didnt I think of that? Cheers m'dears.

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm, mifi unit? I haven't heard of this, but it sounds like something I may be interested in as I have wifi only, which works fine 99% of the time, but there have been those rare occasions when I wished I would have gone with the 4g instead.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That works too, of course. An iPhone can be seen as a mini iPad in lots of ways. By the way, when I said that 4G is out, all that means is that the new technology is not available yet in the UK. 3G is fast enough and is actually what you will be using on your iPhone.

So, for sure, try out the concepts on your phone and when you have figured out whether its going to work for you, buy the iPad and enjoy the bigger screen.

Don't forget to get back to us and let us know how you get on.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One more comment, assuming you are going to show off your web pages to prospective clients, I would be very impressed if you showed me your website on an iPad instead of a laptop. It looks very sophisticated and you spend very little time setting up your iPad. In the business world, using the latest technology, especially a tablet, garners a whole lot of pizzaz!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are trying to show off a desktop version of a website on an iPad, you better go to the nearest Apple store and see what it looks like before you take the plunge.

If I were a customer looking at a desktop version of your website on an iPad, I would not be particularly impressed.

Most websites designed for a desktop can be displayed on an iPad, however it's not a great choice. Websites optimized for the ipad are brilliant however...

Most reactions