What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Water Damage... BUT it worked!

mroche01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my iPad had some water damage about two months ago, however the screen was just foggy with some moisture on the inside and the iPad worked fine for about 4 days. However, I decided to turn off my iPad to save some of the batter about 4 days after it got a little wet and it hasn't turned on since. It also will not connect to iTunes.... I haven't thought of it much as my main use for it is in my lectures, and school is back and I desperately need it fixed. Is it reparable??? I am somewhat computer savvy and can follow instructions easy enough if you have anything you think would work for me. Kinda desperate. My best friend bought it for me, and I can't afford a new/used one.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

2 months is quite a while, is there any moisture still visible? Only you know how wet it got but if moisture showed under the screen, that seems a lot and I'm surprised that it did keep working. What type of liquid was it too, if it was a sweet drink or soda then I'd be worried about the sticky residue. Do you know if your iPad has any charge at all in it? An iPad should never be left for a length of time with no charge as this could lead to battery failure. If your sure that it is now totally dried out and it was only water that did get in it, put it on charge for at least an hour and see if it turns on.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
M

mroche01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I'm sorry I haven't checked this in a while, I didn't know I had received a reply. I am suspecting that the port on the iPad where the wire connects for a charge is somehow damaged and the battery is dead. Whether I plug the iPad into the wall or into a computer there is absolutely no response. But the fact that it did work before I turned it off leads me to suspect that the battery is dead. Is there any other way to charge an iPad without using the regular port? Is there any way to diagnose this problem? I am 100% sure it is completely dried out now, and the liquid was water. I have tried several times over the past couple months to charge it to no avail.

Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Mr.Mischief

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exposure to liquid like that can damage pretty much any component in an iPad. I'm guessing the mainboard is shot. You could try replacing it, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

I would sell it on eBay for parts. You should able to sell it for enough to cover a used netbook.

OP
M

mroche01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think selling it for parts is a good idea. Could you give any guidance per how I should phrase a posting on eBay for sale? I don't want people to take advantage of my ignorance and get ripped off?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mroche01 said:
I think selling it for parts is a good idea. Could you give any guidance per how I should phrase a posting on eBay for sale? I don't want people to take advantage of my ignorance and get ripped off?

You should state quite plainly in both the title and the description that the iPad is water damaged and not working and is being sold for parts only. Make your photos as sharply focused as possible and be sure to show any visible signs of the water damage, if any. The last thing you want is to have someone claim that the item was not as described. There are a lot of buyers who don't bother to read the description, which is why I suggested that you mention the non functional status of the iPad In the title as well as the description.

Last edited:
OP
M

mroche01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is a great suggestion. Is there an average price I should ask for? Other than the fact it got water damaged it really has no other defects or scratches (16GB iPad 1st gen. Model A1337)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mroche01 said:
That is a great suggestion. Is there an average price I should ask for? Other than the fact it got water damaged it really has no other defects or scratches (16GB iPad 1st gen. Model A1337)

All I can suggest is to look at similar listings and see what they sold for. If this is to be your first sale, I recommend that you restrict shipping to your own country in order to avoid the potential problems of international shipping until you gain more experience as a seller.

Mr.Mischief

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I would probably price it at $125 with free shipping, but you definitely want to do some research.

Buyers love lots of pictures and any accessories you might have.

Sent from my HTC One S

Most reactions

Latest posts