What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wanna be's

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me Android beat iOS everytime. They say the Android Market has just reached 100,000 catching up big time. I have an iPhone 3GS and bought a Nexus One there is no going back for me. The iPhone 4 has caught up to the Nexus One but already there are device like the Droid X which blows iPhone 4 away. There are devices with bigger and better screens than Apples.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The big feature for lots of people is the ease of use of an iPhone. If I'm in IT and being bothered with computer issues all day, the last thing I want my phone to do is give me a hard time trying to send a text. I had an Htc fuze and I had to give it up. When you can't send a text or make a call in under 15 seconds, it's a little frustrating.

What about the tech-retarded? My folks love iPhone because it's stupidly easy to use. I don't really blame them!

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPad, so that is why I am on this forum. There is nothing out there that can compete with the iPad at this point. This fall however, there will be several tablets released that make the iPads hardware look extremely outdated. And I disagree with the person above who said hardware is nothing without software. Software is nothing without hardware. These tablets like the eeePad and exoPC will have HDMI out and 16x9 screens. No app is going to bring that to the iPad. They will output HD content over the HDMI, not 480p, no software can bring that to the iPad, unless Apple itself decides to update. Also, they will be able to wirelessly sync and will not need a computer to handle simple tasks.

The iPad is the king on the block right now, and it really is an awesome device, but it will not remain the best for long. Apple has cornered itself into crappy screen resolutions (multiples of the original iphone's horrrific resolution) which are not conducive to watching HD content, has gimped features on the device to push iTunes, has built a walled garden around the device and shielded it from almost all customization, etc. Also, if anyone has seen Gingerbread previews, which is going to be the tablet OS for Android, it looks absolutely SICK and has a screen resolution of TRUE 720P.

U do understand that when you are the first to do something u don't have to go all out right? Apple did this same thing with the iPhone. As a company, u know that when u invite something, competition will try and out do your first attempt, but it doesn't matter when you are so far ahead of the competition. When it takes competition half a year to create something anywhere near what you have created, you will get the bulk of the attention and sales because there is nothing else for consumers to buy. So apple creates devices with the minimum at first and adds on as competition forces them to. The thing about apple is they will never add certain features just to keep up with the come petitions mediocre features. They wait and do it right so that it feels like a flawless experience. Things like.........responsiveness with no lag. To many this may not be worthy of mentioning, but it's the little things that allow people to appreciate apple products. Suuuuure android has flash, it's open, but do u really think that the screen resolution will never change or something?!!!!

The screen resolution of the iPad is pretty much locked in for the foreseeable future. The App Store already has fragmented into iPhone apps, iPhone 4 apps, and iPad apps, all at different resolutions. I doubt they will add even more complexity to this for several years at least. Also, even when they do, they are forced to remain 4:3, so that previous apps can be scaled correctly, so you will not see a proper iPad with 16:9 resolution for video.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My second iPad is coming in a few days, a 3G version for my wife. I have confiscated the original WIFI version I bought for her a month ago. We were fighting over who got to play with it!

I purchased a Nook in January and although it is a great reading device nothing matches the convenience of the iPad. In fact I have not experienced any eye strain and I am using it for reading over my Nook when I can wrestle it out of my wife's hands. I also got a chance to have it for a week that I was traveling. Reading work emails, taking meeting notes, and keeping up with the latest news was a blast.

Roi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
roi.rnpmusic.net
Well Guys, the fact is, the key of the success of iPad was that apple finally being the first who had understand what's the necessity of being a portable computing device.

Which is being "portable","easy to use" and "a kick-ass battery life"(Despite it's actually pretty fast and smooth, right?).

I think I don't have to remind people that Apple is not the first one who make portable computers, but why it could be the only company that survived in the market? Well, we all see how successful it is. And why? You think it's simply because there's no competitors? But the truth is that the competitors have been there for years, just no one cares.

Yes, an iPad doesn't have the jumbo features like HDMI ports, USB ports, Firewire, or SD Slots so far, but there are a lot of other better choices than a portable device for you to get a better experience with all these jumbo juicy snacks, but they are just not portable, or not fast, with extremely short battery life, which basically lack of everything of being a kick-ass portable device.

Also, I found some people here are quite amusing as requesting for a higher resolution to support the HD movies, not that higher resolution is bad, but what are you guys expecting from a 9.7 inch "large" screen? Don't you think that those big-ass flat TV screens are more capable of giving you a true HD experience? And 16:9 ratio screen? Hell no, please, how would I read my ebooks in such a narrow width as portrait mode? Isn't it too much like reading a flyer? And what about displaying pictures? Surfing web?

No... for next generation of iPad? I wish it could be faster, more stable, higher resolution is ok, maybe an isight, that's all. I have many computers, I don't need an iPad doing too much, better user experience of doing specific things is more important to me.

Roi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
roi.rnpmusic.net
Every computer manufacturer has dreamed of a tiny, self contained computing device. HP made a slate years ago very similar to the iPad's size. I had one and it was a truly revolutionary device. Unfortunately, they were expensive and not supported fully from the software side, and battery life and performance we minimal.

The point is, the iPad is great, but it did not create a "revolution". Technology is creating the revolution. The iPad is just the first affordable version to come along, but it did not invent the concept. There will be many more. Some of these "benfits" of the other devices will not matter to many users. I expect the iPad to continue selling strong. It has great app support and Apple has a good reputation for building solid hardware.

A lot of devices will be out soon. Some people will prefer those over the iPad, some people will prefer the iPad. Each one will have its unique appeal to a certain kind of consumer.

Personally, I would like to see one with a real OS and an optional Wacom pen for drawing, handwriting and sketching in notes. There are some slates already out with both touchscreen and Wacom pens, but they are very expensive.

Basically I think you did make some good points. But about the revolution part, all due respect, I disagree.

Technology is technology, and it is creating innovation, not revolution. A revolution is a phenomena that leads a group of people, a industry, or a country to a different level or condition. Thus, I think that many of Apple products created a "revolution".

A revolution is marked more depend on the result, but not the beginning, not the process, nor how innovative it looks. Such as iPod, it doesn't have anything superior to any other competitors, but with the special design and marketing strategy, it changed the way of people see a MP3 player, and significantly changed the industry as how a MP3 should be like.
Same as the iPhone, it lacks of many core features when if first released, and lack of many highly requested features even now, but it has changed the whole smartphone world, every single manufacture is copying the iPhone's industrial design, UI concept, app icons design, even the style of the marketing slogans... that's called revolution.

Now, it's the iPad's turn. It doesn't have to be superior in hardware specification, but the user experience of the product as ONE is just SUPERB. Isn't it? Everyone in the industry is aiming and willing to challenge the huge success of the iPad, showing all different kind of reactions, like it's the biggest public enemy ever. Microsoft even declared that they've got 20 other companies together ready for fighting with the iPad. Wow, what in the world? Is this 9.7 inch tablet really possible of being so frightening? Well, it is just the way of being revolutionary. Right?

OP
D

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Engadget Chronicles the Tablet Wars best

Engadget has a free app providing access to their blog. They have a thread entitled Tablet PC's. The number of manufacturers chasing the iPad is unbelievable. I don't understand why I get so much more info from their App (as opposed to their web site).

If you're interested, download their App to your iPod or iPad. Invoke the App, choose Engadget, Select Topics (at the bottom). Then scroll down to Tablets.

Last edited:

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of the Android Tablets are sure to fail, wait for the HP Web OS based one to be released as it will be the only true iPad competitor.

OP
D

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a revolution

Not one person continuing this blog has agreed (with me) that iPad has introduced a computer revolution. Let me point you to an expert who thinks that it has.
iPad Is the Future

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad a computer revolution? Uh, no. Its a media consumption device. Its not even in competition with the most basic of what we consider "computers". In fact, it needs a real computer to even function at all. Hard to claim its a revolution when as a REQUIREMENT to own one, you HAVE to have a real computer.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Competition is good. It's what our system is based on. Bring them on and let's see what Apple can do to keep themselves ahead.

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What ever.... I tell you I will in time own an Android tablet. They just need to exceed the specs of my iPad and then I am selling the iPad. Battery life is important to me and the limited selection of Android tablets do not have good battery life. Apple does not stand a chance on staying ahead. Look at mobile phones there are at least 3 device that are better than the iPhone 4 The iPad revolution ? The hype is over nobody including Apple cares about the iPad, when is iOS coming out for iPad maybe Q4?

Most reactions

Latest posts