What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs HP Slate

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a nice breakdown between the Apple iPad and the HP Slate:

ipad-vs-hpslate1.png

ipad-vs-hpslate2.png

hp-slate1.jpg

Very good specs and a nice looking device. Hopefully we'll see a version with Android :)

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh god...the HP is strong competion...especially with the MULTI-TASKING!!:) And a web cam that is pretty epic. The look is very similar. Windows strikes again..:eek:

terry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See, that's what I'm talking about. Competition is awesome. I bet next years ipad will be a huge leap forward.

iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IM GETTING THE HP SLATE! :p
its KILLING the ipad in almost every comparison! wow....
No but seriously though Apple better step up and make some serious improvements or they could lose alot of their supporters (including me)

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IM GETTING THE HP SLATE! :p
its KILLING the ipad in almost every comparison! wow....
No but seriously though Apple better step up and make some serious improvements or they could lose alot of their supporters (including me)

I dont know what apple was thinking but it is hard to make a perfect system. They'll get it next time.(hopefully)

scotty frank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple and HP both better have their guns ready. I have a feeling that the chrome os is gonna make its appearance on a tablet to compete with this. Although the Chrome OS is useless without wi-fi if the kernel is modified to become more than a completely internet operated OS Apple and HP are gonna have their hands full.

iVegas702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know apple can and will do fine with the iPad. If you think the HP Slate will be better I think you are wrong. Here is an article from PC World at CES The iPad will have USB interface, which will allow a camera and later models will have one as well. I think that if you can put iWork on the iPad you can put a lot of things on there. Not just apps but programs that can do all sorts of things. Programs that will help the Doctors and medical field. Schools, hospitals and such. The iPad will be a launching pad to a new generation of tablets. And yes competition will be great and help push all of them to build what the people want.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll still take the iPad over it.

Everyone says Windows 7 has a great touch interface. It doesn't, it's so far from great it's not even funny. I'm an HP Touchsmart TX2 right now, and I hate the touch interface, it's so inaccurate it's not even funny.

Then you are also still running Windows on a relatively slow PC. Say bye bye to gaming. Touch-optimized Windows games? We won't see anything for years. iPad already has hundreds.

rudeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with Superbike81. iPad is a superior machine. No comparison. Apps, syncs with your machine. Get an iPad. HP will lose money and will soon be out of the tablet making business.

iPadBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teenagerswithaspergers.com
IMO this HP is crap. Why? Because it's simply a classic tablet PC which they've renamed as "slate" (probably a name stolen from the "iSlate" trademarks) to try and drum up a bit of hype. The iPad, on the other hand, is something new.

I used a touchscreen HP PC (it was a TouchSmart 300 I think) recently, and it was fun as long as I also had a keyboard and mouse, but I couldn't stand just using their touch system alone. It left a lot to be desired, especially in the multitouch area.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Windows 7, touch is still an afterthought, meant to be nothing more than a cool gadget. That's what is great about the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad, the interface is designed to work with touch and touch only, so it's been optimized, and it's excellent!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The big point

In Windows 7, touch is still an afterthought, meant to be nothing more than a cool gadget. That's what is great about the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad, the interface is designed to work with touch and touch only, so it's been optimized, and it's excellent!

@Superbike, you touch the right point, and all Apple competitor cannot do this as they don't do hardware ...

MacDude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it will come down to actual performance, how well the hardware and software mesh and street price.

I do wish the iPad had multitasking, I like to listen to iTunes while reading.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it will come down to actual performance, how well the hardware and software mesh and street price.

I do wish the iPad had multitasking, I like to listen to iTunes while reading.

Why do you believe you won't be able to listen to iTunes while reading? You can do it on the iPhone and iPod Touch... Lack of multitasking on the iPad is a myth, pure and simple. It's "well regulated" but that does not mean it doesn't exist.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*Ninjad*

And what makes you think that the Music function of the iPad will not run in the background? The Music/iPod app of the iPod will run at the same time as just about any app. It can even be unpaused using the headphone control if another program stops it to play a video at its launch, and doesn't allow acess to quick double click media pop-up controls. I don't see why the iBook app would suspend the Music/iPod app in the first place.

It seems people are getting way to hung up on this "can't multitask" fallacy that has is being spread by overblowing haters who don't know the OS. Even if Apple doesn't open up 3rd Party mulitasking by the time the iPad launches I'll hog-tied if they don't have a greater degree of multitasking with thier 1st party programs, espcially with the media functions.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts