What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs Archos 9

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does come with a stylus, not sure why he is not using it. The HDD can be upgraded from my understanding. Most likely it is using a old 60GB 5400 RPM 2.5inch HDD, which is why the loading is a little slow. Like he says, if you throw a relatively cheap SSD drive in, things would load much faster. He is using a Addon for the scrolling with Chrome. I wonder how Linux would run on this :), or maybe the the Google OS?

Edit: I found out the stock HDD is only 4200 RPM.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does come with a stylus, not sure why he is not using it. The HDD can be upgraded from my understanding. Most likely it is using a old 60GB 5400 RPM 2.5inch HDD, which is why the loading is a little slow. Like he says, if you throw a relatively cheap SSD drive in, things would load much faster. He is using a Addon for the scrolling with Chrome. I wonder how Linux would run on this :), or maybe the the Google OS?

I think google OS would be ideal...but it is hardware restricted. The OS won't be readily available without passing hardware standards (chromium will still be available, but it's not official...for whatever that's worth)

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found this on Engadget. Looks like someone got it up and running, but there is still work to be done before it's ideal. Does look promising.
Chromium OS lands on the Archos 9, doesn't do much -- Engadget

I think google OS would be ideal...but it is hardware restricted. The OS won't be readily available without passing hardware standards (chromium will still be available, but it's not official...for whatever that's worth)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A decent ssd will run you more than the price of the baseline iPad...why bother?

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A decent ssd will run you more than the price of the baseline iPad...why bother?
My research shows between $150-200 USD for one that will do the job, and provide a very nice performance boost. Sure you could spend ungodly amounts of $$$ on a SSD but that is unrealistic, when you do not need to.
This person spent roughly $170 (can be had cheaper now) and got a great performance boost.
Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - HDD replaced with SSD, benchmarked

jenna

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Exactly, gentlefury, the Archos requires a great deal of work to even begin to be useable. I would not be spending any furhter money trying to make it do what I want. The Ipad simply works out of the box.

Takenover, if you decide to buy one, I would be keen to hear of your experience.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A 32GB iPad Wifi will run you $600 before tax. If buying the Archos 9 from Amazon, it will run $540 (amazon does not charge tax). If you choose to invest in a SSD which is optional, you will spend between $100-200 or more depending on your needs. Here is a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SaberTooth-1-8-inch-40-pin-solid-upgrade/dp/B002QPYLD4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273614684&sr=8-5"]32GB SSD for $120[/ame]. Now I have not fully researched that drive, but if you did decide to get it and the Archos 9, you would be out $660 combined. Not to far of a price difference really, once tax is calculated on the iPad (if tax for your area is 7% then $642 for example).

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A 32GB iPad Wifi will run you $600 before tax. If buying the Archos 9 from Amazon, it will run $540 (amazon does not charge tax). If you choose to invest in a SSD which is optional, you will spend between $100-200 or more depending on your needs. Here is a 32GB SSD for $120. Now I have not fully researched that drive, but if you did decide to get it and the Archos 9, you would be out $660 combined. Not to far of a price difference really, once tax is calculated on the iPad (if tax for your area is 7% then $642 for example).

Go ahead and pay more money for an inferior product...no one is stopping you. I wouldn't buy it, but I also know that windows is not a touch based os, most windows apps worth a damn won't work on the pathetic specs of the archos and the touch screen is resistive (which means not responsive at all and no multitouch.). Have fun with it.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who said I would use Windows? I like options. Sometimes those options are not Apple (or Microsoft). If that makes them inferior in your eyes then so be it. But, it's all a matter of opinion. I still like Apple products, and some of the competitions products.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who said I would use Windows? I like options. Sometimes those options are not Apple (or Microsoft). If that makes them inferior in your eyes then so be it. But, it's all a matter of opinion. I still like Apple products, and some of the competitions products.

The topic is archos 9 tablet. It comes with windows 7. What Linux build is really made for touchscreen? Chromium is pretty useless right now, Even if you got Linux installed on it good luck using it and finding as many well written applications for everyday use as the iPad. I understand people just want to argue that iPad is not the best, but right now and for the foreseeable future it is.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not arguing the Archos 9 is a better option. I am arguing its a different option (better is the opinion of it's user), for those who do not want to be so locked down, and still have a small tablet.

HDMI
1080P
FLASH
Any Video Format (any codec that supports hardware rendering)
USB Port
Widescreen (for those who prefer a widescreen)

I still love my iPad, but that does not mean I overlook other options. And yes, Linux is a viable option, as well as Windows, or even Google OS down the line. You can't say that for the iPad. (well maybe android will come to it some day, as it has hit the iPhone).

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not arguing the Archos 9 is a better option. I am arguing its a different option (better is the opinion of it's user), for those who do not want to be so locked down, and still have a small tablet.

HDMI
1080P
FLASH
Any Video Format (any codec that supports hardware rendering)
USB Port
Widescreen (for those who prefer a widescreen)

I still love my iPad, but that does not mean I overlook other options. And yes, Linux is a viable option, as well as Windows, or even Google OS down the line. You can't say that for the iPad. (well maybe android will come to it some day, as it has hit the iPhone).

I don't see the point for hdmi, I don't plan to plug my iPad in to a tv..I have a ps3 for that.

Air video converts 1080p video beautifully...I don't have any videos on the internal memory.

And what is the advantage to flash? Oh yeah annoying advertisements that pop up in front of what I'm trying to read.

Air video converts any video format.

The hole you plug in to your computer is what we call a USB port. If you need a standard port then get the camera connection kit. I watch video over wifi, I access files on my computer over wifi, I print over wifi, what exactly do I need to plug in to it so badly?

Widescreen could be nice for video.....that's about it. Websites (90% of iPad usage would look bad on a small wide display. While wide works great at 17" and above it is really annoying with small displays since it is too short or too narrow depending on how you hold it.

Sorry apple did a damn good job with the iPad and as much as people want to find problems they are mostly just nitpicking.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If people want something besides the iPad, that is their choice. The question is whether or not speculation about a competing device is appropriate, and how far to debate it. As long as people do not try and knock the iPad with nitpicking about design decisions.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If people want something besides the iPad, that is their choice. The question is whether or not speculation about a competing device is appropriate, and how far to debate it. As long as people do not try and knock the iPad with nitpicking about design decisions.

Well as far as the arches is concerned reviews have been pretty awful. I think maybe 5 people bought a joojoo and I haven't seen a review, slate got axed, google is maybe another year from showing anything...seems like there isn't much competition.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clearly Apple has created the perfect device for "you". But do not expect everyone else to feel that way. Some of us want a actual usb port (sorry camera kit), flash (html5 is nice for video), widescreen, mkv, avi, 1080p, hdmi out, save files from the browser, a open environment, etc... There is plenty the iPad does wrong or different, that the competition will attempt to for-fill the need of the buyers who are interested. For those not interested or want something simple, there is the iPad. That is what Apple does extremely well. No matter the age (from 2 to 100!) or demographic, pretty much anyone can use a iPad. Of-course that is a plus and negative.

Most reactions

Latest posts