What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad users targeted by hackers

GrendelPrime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.
An experienced Mac user wouldn't fall for this trick.
An experienced PC user shouldn't fall for this.
But the iPad being a device that targets the less tech-savy (not to exclusion, but still) makes the user base ripe for this kind of social hack.

Knowledge is the best defense, it took years to wean Dad from clicking any ol' link in an email, but he's more cautious now.

eflyersteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be possible to run a hidden keylogger on an iPad?

The reason I ask is that I purchased a used iPad a couple of weeks ago for $500 still in box without a scratch. The guy I purchased it from also had many $ in paid apps on it that was part of the deal. If he installed a key logger, then he would be able to get my passwords, bank info, etc. And the installed apps ensures that I wouldn't wipe the iPad clean. Something that's been worrying me. I hate to wipe out all the apps that are on there, but am afraid to visit websites where I enter sensitive information. Maybe the guy (an admitted and obvious tech junkie) was just being nice and really did decide he wanted the 3G model?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The line that made no sense to me is if it were targeting mac users it would spread like wildfire...we don't go to websites to download system updates, it's built into the os. Would a mac user really be that dumb?? I can understand a windows user being fooled since iTunes isn't built into the os and could very well need to be downloaded from a site, but not on mac.

GrendelPrime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Emphasis - mine.
The line that made no sense to me is if it were targeting mac users it would spread like wildfire...we don't go to websites to download system updates, it's built into the os. Would a mac user really be that dumb?? I can understand a windows user being fooled since iTunes isn't built into the os and could very well need to be downloaded from a site, but not on mac.

In general, I would agree, but with new types of devices come a host of new-to-Apple users that may be fooled.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The title of the article should have been "Windows iPad Users Being Target By Hackers" as the trojan affects the PC only and does nothing to the iPad.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally Agree About The Window Users. If You Use iTunes And A Good Virus Checker Like AVG Then You Should Never Get A Virus.:p

My recommendation would be ESET NOD 32 for virus and malware protection, very light weight and full featured.

Most reactions

Latest posts