What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad usb to tv

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weymouth Dorset England where the Sailing Olympics
My brand new Panasonic 40 inch Tv has a USB slot. What would happen if I attached it to my iPad cable which I understand is a USB cable and watched the sky app football? Can I do that or will it mess it all up? Don't want to try it until I know I won't mess it all, anybody know or done it?

Sopranosv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not see why you may mess something up. Now, as I understand, there will be no transmission of any kind between your iPad and the TV set.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My brand new Panasonic 40 inch Tv has a USB slot. What would happen if I attached it to my iPad cable which I understand is a USB cable and watched the sky app football? Can I do that or will it mess it all up? Don't want to try it until I know I won't mess it all, anybody know or done it?

Hi Beeps,

Just moving your post to the General Discussion area for better attention rather then in the New Member Section.

Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello - first forget the USB choice if you are planning to watch videos. Second, is your 'new' Panasonic 40 inch TV a HDTV, i.e. w/ HDMI inputs? If so, to watch video from the iPad, you have two options: 1) Buy an Apple TV and connect it to your TV via an HDMI cable - then use AirPlay for wireless video; or 2) Buy an HDMI adapter & cable to connect your iPad from the dock to your TV (the cable purchased will depend on the iPad model that your own) - if these instructions are not clear, then please post back for further explanation - good luck - :) Dave

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello - first forget the USB choice if you are planning to watch videos. Second, is your 'new' Panasonic 40 inch TV a HDTV, i.e. w/ HDMI inputs? If so, to watch video from the iPad, you have two options: 1) Buy an Apple TV and connect it to your TV via an HDMI cable - then use AirPlay for wireless video; or 2) Buy an HDMI adapter & cable to connect your iPad from the dock to your TV (the cable purchased will depend on the iPad model that your own) - if these instructions are not clear, then please post back for further explanation - good luck - :) Dave

Yes, and both of these work really well, the difference is in cost (~$30 for the HDMI adapter that ties the iPad to the TV) (~$100 for the Apple TV) and all the options with the Apple TV including streaming from your PC or Mac's iTunes in addition to your iDevices. The hard part is deciding which way to go. I started with the HDMI adapter, then got the Apple TV - which I absolutely love and allowed me to get rid of cable TV.

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't steam any sky channels from an ipad it's to stop you getting round subscription .

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Beeps, Just moving your post to the General Discussion area for better attention rather then in the New Member Section. Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Hi Ski, thanks for that. Yea, I hav wondered about where to post. Wouldn't kno the diff. I notice I hav moved from a newbie to a novice, so general I guess it is in future. beeps

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi Giradman. It's an HDTV with all the inputs of allsorts + HDMI. I will need to look at this Apple TV stuff no store near me so checking your advice gonna take some time, thanks for that. beeps

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't steam any sky channels from an ipad it's to stop you getting round subscription .

Hi Max. I do hav a subscription and I stream thro the sky app, however, in my house without wifi it not very good in that it loses the pic quite often, but in range of wifi it is real good. I am trying to figure out how to get my own wifi but it is coming across as a lot of money. In the meantime I thought that maybe I cld hook up to the tv to get a bigger picture. My subscription by the way is a secondary from someone else's and that is the reason for why I cannot use my tv straight off. Thanks for that beeps

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, and both of these work really well, the difference is in cost (~$30 for the HDMI adapter that ties the iPad to the TV) (~$100 for the Apple TV) and all the options with the Apple TV including streaming from your PC or Mac's iTunes in addition to your iDevices. The hard part is deciding which way to go. I started with the HDMI adapter, then got the Apple TV - which I absolutely love and allowed me to get rid of cable TV.

Hi zstair. I notice u and Giradman both in USA, mite it b different over here in uk. No cable tv round here that I kno of, it comes thro dish or aerial and I hav both of the latter
Wld it make a diff. I need to look at what an Apple TV will do. Is it different from any other kind or is it just a regular tv like mine? Something I need to check out now. I also been told I should get an imat now, whatever that is. No apple shop round here that's the prob, it's in Southampton which is a bit of a drive. Looking up this stuff online still don't tell me enough of what I need to kno. Thanks for that beeps

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is what they are trying to stop you watching sky on some one else's id.their is a link missing that stops you going ipad to tv.what you are doing is piracy and will get you ban on here.

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is what they are trying to stop you watching sky on some one else's id.their is a link missing that stops you going ipad to tv.what you are doing is piracy and will get you ban on here.

NO Max I am not. You are allowed two applications to use and mine is registered properly, Also if you pay an extra £ 5.00 a month u r allowed 5 applications look it up. Do you think I would be so silly as to pirate something and broadcast it? The technology is very secure and Sky know who is using what and when. Consider, Sky is a lot of money so we share the cost. We are also about to set an BT account the same way. Check it out and stop making silly false accusations. Beeps

Most reactions

Latest posts