What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Unavailable?

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has an iPad Mini 4th gen and she's getting 'iPad Unavailable' on her Home screen. She was in the hospital for two weeks with an infection causing her to be deleterious and I'm assuming she tried to repeatedly log in with the wrong passcode. She resides in a nursing home and I'm about I'm about an hour away. I tried logging into her iCloud account on my pc and use 'Find My Phone' but says something about not locating her device.

Is there anything besides doing a 'Hard Reset' which I had her do and didn't work to talk her through logging in? Do I have to bring it home and login to my iTunes with her credentials and somehow reset it? Thanks!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It does indeed sound as if your wife entered the wrong password too many times and locked the iPad. The only way to solve this is by restoring the device to factory settings using Recovery Mode, either connecting the iPad to a Mac and using Finder or iTunes on a PC or older Mac.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I’ll have to lookup how to do that since I don’t normally use iTunes. I don’t know if she or I ever backed up her iPad, but if we did should we be able to use that backup?

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I tried to reset her iPad but still can't do it. I followed the instructions below:

1. Turn off iPad
2. Hold down Home button
3. While holding down Home button connect to PC
4. Keep holding down until you see Recovery Mode Screen and then let up on button. I'm assuming this is the Computer & Cable screen?
5. I'm now supposed to see the Passcode screen but never see this?

I'm on my PC which has iTunes logged into my account and at this point don't care if the iPad has to be wiped just want to reset it.

Are there things I'm doing wrong to reset it? Thanks!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you downloaded the latest version of iTunes to your PC? When you connect the iPad to the computer you should see an icon representing this. If you tap on it you should see various options, including restore.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you downloaded the latest version of iTunes to your PC? When you connect the iPad to the computer you should see an icon representing this. If you tap on it you should see various options, including restore.
Thanks I got it I appreciate your help!

Most reactions