What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helping out a friend with her ipad 1 upgrade to iOS 5 but on my system not hers...

subliminal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I will surely be visiting the musician section often now that I discovered this forum.

Anyway here is the deal: a friend of mine is visiting and although she got the iPad 1 forever, she never installed one app and the few ones was done by her daughter at her friends. No one remembers the password, apple ID etc.. She mostly use it for email and surfing and YouTube, etc... I am planning to reset the device from scratch and start over so she can create a profile, etc... I want to upgrade her iPad to version 5 also. The thing is after deleting everything on her iPad I would need to plug it to my machine on my iTunes to do the up to date transfers. I haven't touched her iPad yet.

Can I update her iPad to iOS 5 on my PC (after i deleted everything) while not associating her machine with my iTunes profile or does she need to do it on her own laptop at her home? does she need to go to an Apple store for this to be done?

I hope my question is clear enough. Thank you!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
subliminal said:
Hello everyone. I will surely be visiting the musician section often now that I discovered this forum.

Anyway here is the deal: a friend of mine is visiting and although she got the iPad 1 forever, she never installed one app and the few ones was done by her daughter at her friends. No one remembers the password, apple ID etc.. She mostly use it for email and surfing and YouTube, etc... I am planning to reset the device from scratch and start over so she can create a profile, etc... I want to upgrade her iPad to version 5 also. The thing is after deleting everything on her iPad I would need to plug it to my machine on my iTunes to do the up to date transfers. I haven't touched her iPad yet.

Can I update her iPad to iOS 5 on my PC (after i deleted everything) while not associating her machine with my iTunes profile or does she need to do it on her own laptop at her home? does she need to go to an Apple store for this to be done?

I hope my question is clear enough. Thank you!

Updating her iPad to iOS 5.1.1 through iTunes on your computer will associate it with your iTunes profile but there is a simple solution. Wipe the iPad after the update and restore it to factory settings. This will get you an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1 that is not associated with any Apple ID or profile. Since your friend does not remember her account details,she will have to set up a new Apple user ID and password. She will likely also have to use another email address than the one she previously used with her old iTunes account.

OP
S

subliminal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Black iPad 1 morphed into white iPad 2...

Updating her iPad to iOS 5.1.1 through iTunes on your computer will associate it with your iTunes profile but there is a simple solution. Wipe the iPad after the update and restore it to factory settings. This will get you an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1 that is not associated with any Apple ID or profile. Since your friend does not remember her account details,she will have to set up a new Apple user ID and password. She will likely also have to use another email address than the one she previously used with her old iTunes account.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Great surprise with her iPad. Her daughter bought a new iPad 2 from best buy. That's the one she brought up. iOS 5 is already installed, the system is only asking for a 5.1.1 update. Everything else will be smooth selling... She will sell the iPad 1.

Thx!

OP
S

subliminal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
She never used the ipad with itunes, etc. I did a total reset and restarted from factory fresh on her ipad 2. She was amazed by her own machine after i explained to her the purpose of itunes and the apps, etc. I believe a lot of people still love their ipad 1 not knowing how powerful those things are. my brother own his ipad 1 for ever and his first purchase was garageband a few month ago.

Everything is fine and the problem was resolved painlessly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.

It's not that surprising really. Many people get smartphones, tablets, and computers for one or two functions (or because someone talked them into then), and never realize how much more they can do.

Most reactions

Latest posts