What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad unable to boot up..hung on Apple logo

thlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi experts;
i jailbroke my ipad (ver 3.2.2) but decided to restore it. After syncing, saw that limera1n still there n tried to reset thru settings. After selecting "Erase all content n settings" , my ipad went blank n started to reboot (ie apple logo with round spiral) , but it hung after that.

tried holding power n home button for more than 10secs n the same thing happened.

any advice???pls, need help urgently.

Last edited:
OP
T

thlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thks

Hi Poco bear;
thks for your response.tried tiny umbrella n no response.,.however, managed to restore with instructions from apple support.

cheers.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thlow,

Come on guy, SHARE, that's what we are here for. What did they have you do? We are all waiting with baited breath to know!

OP
T

thlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,found solution fm apple website under support,search under "restoration". Basically :
1: connect iPad USB wire to yr computer
2. Turn iPad off by holding power n home buttons.
3. Whilst holding home button, reconnect iPad to computer ( keep holding home button till u see image of iTunes n the USB cable on the iPad .
4. iTunes must be turned on.iTunes will automatically prompt u to restore.

Tks again for those who replied. Hope this helps those w similar prob.

hunterjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have reboot problem. Passing the Logo to iTunes point, I can not pass the restore with out a errror code of (28) to end up showing. I tried the hackmyifone.com site to download the 4.2.1 type software and then applied to the reboot / restore issue. They we get to an error code of (3194) to show up.

Is there anything i can do?

Seems to be a Security? issue?

The unit dropped, then I had little crack in screen. I replaced the screen with NO issues and this has now been the issue. It is a Pad 1 w/ 64 gig and WiFi, so there it is.

Is there ANYTHING a smarter person than I and or my 15yr old son can do for this problem?

I tried the holding buttons and so on to reboot and it all ends up back to system has to restore, in itunes, so there seems to be some software issue, is all i can figure. We also tried to DOWNgrade to the 3.-.-. software and NO Go with that as well.

These errors ( 28 )--- (3194) , seem to be the sticking problem. I ca not get to anything but the iTunes LoGo with cord and that is it, with of course the battery is charging. I also from time to time, when restore is working/(not working?) it will com up with little circle of thinking circle and the bar that goes across the screen about 4 inch circle bar, but nothing is happening inside the bar space.

I just can not get anything to again show up on screen, except these seen as noted above.

ANYTHING a person can help with would be SOOOOOOO grateful,from us to you all. Very best regards !!!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have reboot problem. Passing the Logo to iTunes point, I can not pass the restore with out a errror code of (28) to end up showing. I tried the hackmyifone.com site to download the 4.2.1 type software and then applied to the reboot / restore issue. They we get to an error code of (3194) to show up.

Is there anything i can do?

Seems to be a Security? issue?

The unit dropped, then I had little crack in screen. I replaced the screen with NO issues and this has now been the issue. It is a Pad 1 w/ 64 gig and WiFi, so there it is.

Is there ANYTHING a smarter person than I and or my 15yr old son can do for this problem?

I tried the holding buttons and so on to reboot and it all ends up back to system has to restore, in itunes, so there seems to be some software issue, is all i can figure. We also tried to DOWNgrade to the 3.-.-. software and NO Go with that as well.

These errors ( 28 )--- (3194) , seem to be the sticking problem. I ca not get to anything but the iTunes LoGo with cord and that is it, with of course the battery is charging. I also from time to time, when restore is working/(not working?) it will com up with little circle of thinking circle and the bar that goes across the screen about 4 inch circle bar, but nothing is happening inside the bar space.

I just can not get anything to again show up on screen, except these seen as noted above.

ANYTHING a person can help with would be SOOOOOOO grateful,from us to you all. Very best regards !!!!

The reason for your issues is that Apple has security measures which prevent you installing old firmwares. You cannot downgrade (or restore) your iPad to 4.2.1 unless you have saved SHSH Blobs for your device and that version. We have a FAQ on SHSH Blobs here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

I'm not sure I understand why you are trying to do that? You should really be restoring the device to the current firmware, which is 5.0.1. The best way to do that is to use DFU mode (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html) and then open iTunes and press the big "restore" button.

If you are still running into problems, try all the steps in this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Hope that helps.

hunterjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!,
I am not sure if the reason the battery is not showing full and or topping off, it the reason, as if hardware is stopping the restore? It is plugged into the computer and all seems to have enough power and all screen shows nothing to indicate it can not finish reboot/restore.

I will look at the Information above and go at it again.

Something seems to simple and yet? it always come up to say ---BAM --- "Failed to restore" error (28). The reason to go into the hackifone idea,was that if there is no way in from itunes? then how to approach the restore?, so i read somewhere in blogs at some site?, this was what somebody was doing, for some reason.

When these things occur, i just look to try this or that, having NO Idea what the heck is the problem.

Thanks and I am sorry for being so NEWBEE at these things.
My son thought he would be slick and try the downgrade idea and BAM no go on that at all.
If there is a way to bump it up to 5. , then that is good of course. It is a Gen1 unit and yet it is logical that it needs an upgrade to? modern Gen2 standards.

I will get back to this thread and speak on what is going on from here.

Thanks again f4780y , good to see some help!

Best regards!

hunterjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a problem to which i can get to restore with no problem.

I can get into DFU mode with no problem.

I can not get the restore/reboot to pass the ( error #28 ) issue.

It proceeded through the itunes with no problem, but stops at the error popping up.

I tried the other 3. and 4.2.1. - and 5.0 system software runs from downloads BUT NO go.

I see that the battery sigh is at the (bolt)critical sign. I am wondering if the system is in hardware critical mode to which then it will not restore/reboot because the power is not great enough to do this?

I have read that it is about making sure there is 25% or more power of battery supply to restore?, BUT is this necessary if one has the Pad plugged into the computer?

There seems to be NO issues of security, I have tried turning that off completely .

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MIFFED at what the cause is, to which this (ERROR 28) still popes up, other than the issue of battery at this point.

Can a BATTERY being always at Critical/Dead /Bolt sign,(without going to any charge) be the problem of not restoring?

Let me know, IF anybody can !!!!

I certainly am at WITS end, if I had any Wits at all in the first place, to deal with this issue. Again, there was NO Sign of any damage to innards when replacing the screen. I only think the battery then got Fried? when taking the hit on corner? and or something to the corner that was hit, was the corner of On /Off button and all interconnected to battery issue?
Again, it all went together fine and works to go DFU fine and so on.
Nothing was torn and or broken and or seemingly damaged to indicate there was a battery issue at all. Of course seeing the Bolt and not seeing the full charge again, seem to be an issue and of course the restore is now an issue and so i figure this is all somehow interconnected and related to be the issue.

Please LMK if anybody knows more, with this new information of battery idea.

Thanks again,
Newbee still seeking HELP Please !!!
I just hate to have to go to Tech local, if i can get help to fix it,being it seem to be a simple fix. I do not want to install a new battery to just see it get fried and be right back at SQ1 again.
Best regards 2 you all again !!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should certainly ensure the iPad has enough charge to restore properly. A fully exhausted battery will cause problems as the charging does not kick in until later in the boot process, so if there is not enough juice to get it there it will fail.

Connect the iPad to the WALL charger for a good few hours. If you don't have a wall charger, get the iPad into DFU mode and leave it connected to your PC overnight and for as long as possible (the PC will only trickle charge the iPad). Give it at least 8-12 hours. But the best bet is definitely the wall charger.

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Connect to iTunes and hit the update button.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
your device should be charged up before performing a restore. Most computers will not charge the iPad when connected to the computer.

also if you say you jail broke the iPad, there is a slight chance that something from the jailbreak process is causing iTunes on your computer not to properly do what it needs to do.

first think i would do is charge up the battery all the way and perform a restart. Apple has built these devices like tanks when it comes to this, its very hard to actually brick an iOS device. Having the battery die while updating firmware on any other device would pretty much render it unrecoverable.

If you still cannot restore with full battery, try performing a restore from a different computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts