What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to tv ? VGA question

tturbonegro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to watch netflix or dl'd movies on tv from pad...I bought apple dock to VGA connector...the VGA is a female end and the VGA on my tv is also a female...what now? A VGA adapter, both ends male and plug it all in? Or will this not work and I need a tv with a male VGA input? Thanks for any help

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
you need a VGA cable that is male on both ends. This is what is normaly used to connect the ipad to things like projectors, monitors, and tv's.

r1200gsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What MikesToolz said. I have a VGA cable that used to belong to a long since dead computer monitor.

FWIW, I go the iPad / VGA adapter this weekend and plugged into my friends 65" LCD tv and was blown away with how good it looked! It was not Blue Ray quality by no means but it looked great concidering it was only a 700mb file down converted to fit on the ipad in mp4 format.

Remember to have a long head phone jack wire for your audio as the VGA is only video out.

OP
T

tturbonegro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks..got the vga cord..now a headphone wire that is also male and male for the audio to come from the tv instead of pad?

Does netflix work this way?

How do i get it to come uo on tv once connected..just flip through the aux, or video options.?
.thanks!

r1200gsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think of the iPad as a VCR or DVD player that you may have hooked up to your tv now. It can play videos with sound but the sound out is located at the headphone Jack and the video out is located at the dock connector.

The television is only a very big monitor at this point as the sound and video is playing on the iPad which is using the tv as a monitor.

I actually plug my audio out wire into my stereo receiver that powers my home theater system. You can plug it into what ever audio player device you want to. Just think about it logically and you can't get it wrong.

As for getting it to come up on your tv. Surely you have a button on the remote that allows you to change your video inputs (sources). You might want consult your owners guide/manual.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Most reactions