What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad sync problems

ads1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've run into a problem syncing my iPad from iTunes.

I'm trying to manually sync it and have that option checked.

When I drag a movie into the iPad (under devices) it shows up in the iPad but is shaded in grey and doesn't actually copy onto the actual iPad.. Any ideas?

It's also showing a bunch of songs on the iPad, also shaded in grey.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are the file extensions? Sounds like they might be incompatible with the iPad, especially if you are converting mp3 to AAC. I had a couple this week that wouldn't convert, even though they were ripped from the same album at the same time.

They appeared grayed out and I had to delete them from the iPad. I did get a message in iTunes that they couldn't be converted, though. .

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
A

ads1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have the movies set up in iTunes and they play fine on my Mac and on my Apple TV. I believe they are .m4v files... should I be using something different to get them on my iPad?

As there's also songs showing up under music - also shaded out in grey - I'm wondering if it's a different issue though.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe try changing the file extension to .mp4, although .m4v should work.

Have you moved the songs on your hard drive? They may be grayed out because they are no longer in the same place.

Clutching at straws here, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
A

ads1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again.

The songs are actually showing up greyed out in the iPad music tab when I'm in iTunes. I don't have any music on my hard drive as I use the iTunes Match/iCloud storage.

Thinking of trying to restore the iPad to it's original settings to see if that cures things but feels like a drastic step to take.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty drastic. I don't use MusicMatch so I'm not much use to you here.

Good luck. Hope someone pitches in who has some experience with this.

OP
A

ads1977

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for your advice. I tried the back-up and restore option tonight and it worked a charm. Not sure why I had the problem in the first place but that was a relatively quick and easy fix :)

Most reactions

Latest posts