What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad sync problem

Mikered79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a 32 GB 3G iPad, downloaded about 5 gigs of music and some shows a rented a couple movies for a trip. When I got on the plane, nothing I had downloaded was on the iPad but when I looked in settings, it said I Had only 16 gigs of available space. It also confirmed I had no videos and no songs, but that I had 81 apps (which is not true, and even it was, I can't see apps taking up 13 gigs).

When I transferred the files in iTunes, I was in manual sync mode and clicked and dragged the files over and watched them load onto the iPad, or so I thought. I even made sure to check the music and movies and shows under the iPad tab in iTunes and they were there, but not on my iPad.

HELP!

durangojim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Similar sort of thing happened to me. I have a bunch of videos loaded on the ipad. When I went to add one more, it shows it synced in Itunes, but when I go on the IPAD it says no videos. WTF!?!!?

scoobyberry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I had the same problem...... when you come from the iphone, everything(video, etc) is viewed through the ipod app...... when I got the ipad, I had the same "where's the hell are the videos???"...... Then I realize that there is a separate video app......

Hope this helps.:)

OP
M

Mikered79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I had the same problem...... when you come from the iphone, everything(video, etc) is viewed through the ipod app...... when I got the ipad, I had the same "where's the hell are the videos???"...... Then I realize that there is a separate video app......

Thanks, but I looked there first and no luck. Obviously not in the iPod 'app' either. What baffles me is it appears the iPad 'knows' the info is there as it has indicated that 16 gigs of 32 is available, but I can't access any of it. Do I have to hit the sync button even though I've drag and dropped it and seen it in the iPad under the iPad tab. With all the iPods and iPhones I've used with iTunes before, I've never had this issue. I thought I knew what I was doing which makes this confusing.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks, but I looked there first and no luck. Obviously not in the iPod 'app' either. What baffles me is it appears the iPad 'knows' the info is there as it has indicated that 16 gigs of 32 is available, but I can't access any of it. Do I have to hit the sync button even though I've drag and dropped it and seen it in the iPad under the iPad tab. With all the iPods and iPhones I've used with iTunes before, I've never had this issue. I thought I knew what I was doing which makes this confusing.

Its somewhat confusing reading what you just said too.
There is no iPad Tab, but I think you meant Music Tab, which doesn't actually list any music. But in iTunes in the Menu Music on the Left (Not a Tab) shows all your music. I would also check to see what Playlists you have created as they sometimes appear as separate lists within the iTunes Playlist.

It sounds like you drag n dropped music into iTunes which then copies it to your Playlist, but wont sync it to the iPad until you hit the Sync button.

Can you remote to your desktop at home while your out on vacation? If not you will have to wait until you get home, sounds frustrating, but unless you place them by remote onto some cloud service then retrieve them from your vacation spot. Or if you can remote to your desktop, install a remote server like AirVideo which will only stream non protected movies to the iPad, and install the AirVideo app on the iPad to view them while on vacation, just a thought.

Otherwise once you get back home it will be interesting to see if that inevitable Sync button just has to be pressed, which you may not need to manually do if you have it set to automatically Sync each time you connect. But after something new is added to the library while it's connected, you have to manually click Sync in order to get the new added material to copy over. Sounds like you already know all this stuff, so it was probably just as simple as you didn't sync after coping new items to your iTunes library.

Ccfl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a 32 GB 3G iPad, downloaded about 5 gigs of music and some shows a rented a couple movies for a trip. When I got on the plane, nothing I had downloaded was on the iPad but when I looked in settings, it said I Had only 16 gigs of available space. It also confirmed I had no videos and no songs, but that I had 81 apps (which is not true, and even it was, I can't see apps taking up 13 gigs).

When I transferred the files in iTunes, I was in manual sync mode and clicked and dragged the files over and watched them load onto the iPad, or so I thought. I even made sure to check the music and movies and shows under the iPad tab in iTunes and they were there, but not on my iPad.

HELP!

I know just what your talking about! Same thing has happened to me several times I have learned the hard way and after I sync my iPad I disconnect and double check everything is there, a real pain but after sitting on a 4hour flight staring at my iPad with nothing on it I make sure that never happens again. I would love to know why it happens. When it does happen all I do is connect back to computer and disconnect and everything is there again and it takes 5 secs to do it so I know it's not syncing anything cause that would take a long time to do that with all the shows and movies I have on it. So just a mystery right now but I've worked around it for now.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
On pg 58 of the user guide [my iPad has not yet arrived so I am reading the on-line guide that I printed out] it [strongly at least] implies that you have to sync videos after downloading. It doesn't really say that sync holds for manually loaded ones, but I am betting you do.
One thing that came through to me was that the Apple iPad sync is just like snyc in other apps [at least for Windows] and it will delete things you have deleted from the folder you are syncing from. So if you have videos you loaded and synced, don't delete them from your computer folder when you add other videos to that folder and resync or they will be gone from the iPad. I hope that is clear.
Mel

HELP!

I know just what your talking about! Same thing has happened to me several times I have learned the hard way and after I sync my iPad I disconnect and double check everything is there, a real pain but after sitting on a 4hour flight staring at my iPad with nothing on it I make sure that never happens again. I would love to know why it happens. When it does happen all I do is connect back to computer and disconnect and everything is there again and it takes 5 secs to do it so I know it's not syncing anything cause that would take a long time to do that with all the shows and movies I have on it. So just a mystery right now but I've worked around it for now.

Most reactions

Latest posts