What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad swing arm mount?

tznuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
swinging arm

I am actually in the process of welding an arm out of 1x1 steel square tubing and it will attach to my headboard, and be able to raise and lower, and swing side to side so I can lay in bed and use it, or sit in bed and use it.

Let me know if anyone is interested in this idea, might be looking to make and sell them for others instead of just family.

Ergomounts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad mountign solution

Hi

This is a commercial interest message.

Ergomounts have recently developed a desk mounted gas assisted swing arm for the ipad that has been installed in a London Fashion Store.

Please visit our website for images and details of the current project.

I am unable to post links as I am a new member, if you google search Ergomounts Ltd the ipad enclosure will be on the front page.

We can be contacted by telephone 01252 333326.

Regards

Paul Riddell
Ergomounts Ltd

vxbush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: What I finally got

I want to thank everyone for their comment and suggestions. I finally decided, given that I am not mechanically inclined, to go with the following two items from RAM Mounts:

RAM-B-316-121B-202U RAM 18" Flexible Seat Clamp Mount

I like the fact that the goose neck is 18", as it allows a lot of flexibility for where the iPad will be placed. In addition, this has a bracket that will clamp on to a pipe up to 1-1/4" in diameter, which will work just fine with my son's wheelchair.

RAM-HOL-AP8LU RAM Locking Holder for iPad

Given that my son may be going out into areas by himself, I didn't want to worry about the iPad being stolen. So this unit has a lock on it to prevent the iPad from being removed. (Not to mention that my son might want to remove the iPad at the wrong place and time!)

I've ordered the mount first so I can make sure it will work. Once it's in place, we'll go pick up the iPad itself!

Here's a link to the company if anyone else is interested.
RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

pch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How welldid the RAM mount work?

I'm interested in trying the RAM mount also for my wheelchair, but I'm concerned that I won't be strong enough to move the arm. Have you tried the RAM mount out yet? Does it work well on the wheelchair?

Thanks,
PCH

vxbush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in trying the RAM mount also for my wheelchair, but I'm concerned that I won't be strong enough to move the arm. Have you tried the RAM mount out yet? Does it work well on the wheelchair?

Thanks,
PCH

Alas, the part is backordered, so I haven't gotten it yet, even though it's been ordered for over three weeks. I will try to remember to post a note about how stiff the arm is when it arrives.

Right now, I think it's time to call the company and see what the holdup is.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I built my iPad support with a microphone stand with boom(the kind used by singing guitarists), a swivel speaker mural mount and an mdf tiny panel. Total cost of parts and hardware ; 60$. Figure one hour for labor. If you have the tools.

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey folks...new here but had "Paddy" since day one...my favorite use is bedside...and wondered If anyone had seen a "swing arm" mount yet for an iPad that would let one use it hands free in bed...by a desk, etc...?

To big_daddy, and everyone else looking for a iPad mount for their wheelchairs and/ or desks, you may want to look at the following link: Assistive Technology -Ipad Mounts.

faye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wheelchair mounts

Hi vxbush,

I am interested also in wheelchair mounts for my sons' wheelchairs, I'd appreciate it if you would post any info you find on this. thanks.

Faye

Jordan GPS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just saw this thread via a Google search. Thought I'd shed some light on the RAM Mounts that have been mentioned.

I'm assuming the RAM mount for the iPad will work just like all of the other mounts - it will be as tight as you want to turn the knob, but won't budge a millimeter once it's set. The best place to get the whole lineup looks to be gpscity.com. (aka expressmounts.com), since they have every item in the whole lineup and it's cheaper than the manufacturer. The ship date has been pushed a couple of times, but they are swearing by an August 1st ship date. I use a TON of their stuff to mount cameras & my GPS, so let me know if you want any pics! You can see their parts & pictures too (Apple Ipad Tablet Mount), but I'm happy to send any specific pics if requested.

vxbush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just saw this thread via a Google search. Thought I'd shed some light on the RAM Mounts that have been mentioned.

I'm assuming the RAM mount for the iPad will work just like all of the other mounts - it will be as tight as you want to turn the knob, but won't budge a millimeter once it's set. The best place to get the whole lineup looks to be gpscity.com. (aka expressmounts.com), since they have every item in the whole lineup and it's cheaper than the manufacturer. The ship date has been pushed a couple of times, but they are swearing by an August 1st ship date. I use a TON of their stuff to mount cameras & my GPS, so let me know if you want any pics! You can see their parts & pictures too (Apple Ipad Tablet Mount), but I'm happy to send any specific pics if requested.

Hey, thanks for chiming in!

I did contact Ram Mounts and got an update. I noted that I had been waiting over a month, and a gentleman by the name of Brian kindly responded: "I apologize for the delay but with any new item it may take longer than expected. We are expecting the mold to arrive any day in which upon receipt we will start our full production and shipping. We expect to begin shipping by end of next week." So that jives with your understanding, Jordan.

My only concern with the mount is going to be the strength of the gooseneck. I'm wondering how well it's going to be able to hold up the iPad and if it will bounce a lot when my son is driving over thresholds and bumps. Jordan GPS, can you speak on that issue? I would love it if you could give us some real-world experience with their products. What a shame that I didn't know about gpscity before I placed my order. Oh, well. Live and learn.

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I too am concerned whether with with the strength of the gooseneck. I am wondering how well the gooseneck is going to be able to hold up the iPad and if it will bounce a lot when I drive my wheelchair over potholes and bumps in the street. I am wondering how well the gooseneck is going to be able to hold up the iPad and if it will bounce a lot when I drive my wheelchair through the grass of parks. As vxbush said above, can you speak on that issue, Jordan GPS?

TheGigEasy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thegigeasy.com
coming soon...

We will be releasing something soon. I'm a new user here, thus unable to post links or images but you can see a preview at

ipad-music-stand dot com

It is initially aimed at the music market but the actual cradle that hold the iPad will adapt to different mounts - mic stand, music stand and VESA.

Cheers,

Brian
The Gig Easy LLC

Jordan GPS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen the gooseneck in person and it works just fine. Looking at the gooseneck reviews on the website I linked you to many customers seem to be happy as they all are 4-5 stars. I myself have used the gooseneck and it is not a light duty mount. It is heavy duty, even though it looks like it can't hold very much. It is a flexible/bendable rod, but it still takes effort to bend it. It is very strong and rigid unless you are actually trying to bend it into place.

I'm sure the manufacturer would let you cancel the order since the price is cheaper on gpscity. Oh well maybe next time! Let me know if you need anymore info!

Most reactions

Latest posts