What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Strategy Card Game - Heroes Blade

cro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, Heroes Blade for ipad was just re-released tonight and I am looking to see what everyone thinks about it.

I'm an admin for the game and just out lookin' for the public opinion of our game! We're a small company just trying out the ipad gaming world and hoping that we've made an entertaining game that people will enjoy. You can find it in the apple store or just head over to our website at heroesblade.com. Hope you enjoy the game if you check it out! :D thanks!!!

Adam~
heroes blade

dcamjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this game, unfortunately even with the new 103 patch it doesn't work on 4.2. I really like it though when I was on 3.2.2

OP
C

cro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dcamjones

hey! dcam. sorry about the problems with apples latest update of their OS. we had all of the issues repaired with the first beta of 4.2 they released and then they decided to update that one, but NOT make it backward compatible. however, we are currently working on a fix for it. :) if u keep checking our games site we'll keep u updated! :D

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, is this the official thread for the game? Is there a official forum instead? I've bought the game, and I have a lot to say... Even tried contacting you guys (if you are the dev's) through the heroesblade.com website, and no response for almost a week now...

Should I even bother giving feedback here? Or will it fall on deaf ears again?

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey mate, I'm honestly sorry, didn't mean to offend you or anything... Its just that it can get frustrating when you can't communicate with the dev's of an indie game you love and enjoy...

Ok, I have a bunch of questions, and I wrote a decently lengthy review of the app too... Which one should I go for first...?

And before all else, is there any way I can donate? You know, do my little share to help this game reach its full potential...?

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

Questions I have:
- Why is it that when I play on certain profiles (Orbs on the main menu) I don't get access to certain cards? On my current profile (white orb) I don't ever seem to find 'Dawn', 'Curse' and that walking mountain thing... I've won so many battles that I have all traits maxed out, and almost all of my minions upgraded, and I checked the damn store each time after a victory, no luck... :-(

- When you say that the future updates for the app will be based on fan suggestions, is there an official spot to just go ahead and dump suggestions? Or is this it?

I can't seem to recollect any more questions for now, but will post here as soon as they come to mind... I've attached my review for the app below (as submitted to iTunes). Don't take offense, I don't mean to down trod the game, its just that I'm comparing this to every gamer's ecstasy... So while the con list might seem lengthy, clearing it will result in a game that'll sell like hotcakes, even at $9.99 (imho)...

====
iTunes review
====

The game is almost perfect... Its not extremely deep (there's no real story, no 'career' mode, etc.), but its great fun if you're into such games...

Pros:
- Art quality is pretty good!
- Basic gameplay fairly easy to pick up and understand
- Addictive gameplay
- Great potential for lore
- Supports iPod music in the background

Cons:
- Game feels chunky, with slow menu navigation and long load times
- No option/ability to rearrange the order of your cards in the deck
- No tutorial, so certain functions aren't obvious (Like, double tap on a card in deck to discard it)
- Upgrade menu for cards isn't intuitive (Its a real pain to scroll through 100+ cards just to find the one you need to upgrade)
- No card descriptions (Only 'casting' descriptions are provided, other than that minion cards are just blank... Some backstory wouldn't hurt, you know?)
- Game is still slightly buggy (Too many fast actions and you can glitch the game - such as making illegal moves, disappearing units on the field, etc. not to mention bugs where you can't play any cards, and HAVE to restart, and program crashes)
- No real multi-tasking support (though, if you quit in the middle of a battle, the game will restore you to that point when you 'begin' a new game)
- No combat animations (Minion graphics are just static images, and the whole image moves back and forth to indicate action, no real combat, idle attack, injury, casting, etc. animations)
- Not very balanced (certain strategies are overpowered, and certain units are useless - For example, 2x Hive Queen + 8x Hive drone is impossible to defeat, particularly with certain boosting spells - Soul boom, baltas blood curse, etc.)
- No backstory (For the game overall, so the units don't really feel special or unique... As every TCG player will know, its the difference between playing a game with someone else's deck, and playing with your OWN custom deck, that you've gathered...)
- No career mode (would be nice to have a rpg-ish [There are already traits in game] career, where you selected 'demi-gods', each with his/her own special combination of mana colors, (Example = Baal is a black and red mana player), with unique traits and unique cards...)

Overall, I'd say this is a great game to pick up (for the price), but if any real competition comes by (Orions: Legend of Wizards for example), this game won't be as attractive anymore...

Personally however, I would LOVE to either see this game mature to the levels and depths of Orions, or Orions should adopt the visual styles in this game (playing minions onto the field, with combat animations, etc. Think Eye of Judgment!)...

Oh, almost forgot...

- Very poor customer support (I've mailed them thrice through their website, got no response)
- Lame website (There's practically nothing there, just some blobs of text and some media... Can't find their forum either...

====
End
====

Looking forward to this game's future DLC's, expansions, and perhaps even ver. 2.0!

OP
C

cro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey jason!

Hey,

Questions I have:
- Why is it that when I play on certain profiles (Orbs on the main menu) I don't get access to certain cards? On my current profile (white orb) I don't ever seem to find 'Dawn', 'Curse' and that walking mountain thing... I've won so many battles that I have all traits maxed out, and almost all of my minions upgraded, and I checked the damn store each time after a victory, no luck... :-(

- When you say that the future updates for the app will be based on fan suggestions, is there an official spot to just go ahead and dump suggestions? Or is this it?

I can't seem to recollect any more questions for now, but will post here as soon as they come to mind... I've attached my review for the app below (as submitted to iTunes). Don't take offense, I don't mean to down trod the game, its just that I'm comparing this to every gamer's ecstasy... So while the con list might seem lengthy, clearing it will result in a game that'll sell like hotcakes, even at $9.99 (imho)...

====
iTunes review
====

The game is almost perfect... Its not extremely deep (there's no real story, no 'career' mode, etc.), but its great fun if you're into such games...

Pros:
- Addictive gameplay

Cons:
- No tutorial, so certain functions aren't obvious (Like, double tap on a card in deck to discard it)
- Upgrade menu for cards isn't intuitive (Its a real pain to scroll through 100+ cards just to find the one you need to upgrade)
- No card descriptions (Only 'casting' descriptions are provided, other than that minion cards are just blank... Some backstory wouldn't hurt, you know?)
- Game is still slightly buggy (Too many fast actions and you can glitch the game - such as making illegal moves, disappearing units on the field, etc. not to mention bugs where you can't play any cards, and HAVE to restart, and program crashes)
- No real multi-tasking support (though, if you quit in the middle of a battle, the game will restore you to that point when you 'begin' a new game)
- No combat animations (Minion graphics are just static images, and the whole image moves back and forth to indicate action, no real combat, idle attack, injury, casting, etc. animations)
- Not very balanced (certain strategies are overpowered, and certain units are useless - For example, 2x Hive Queen + 8x Hive drone is impossible to defeat, particularly with certain boosting spells - Soul boom, baltas blood curse, etc.)
- No backstory (For the game overall, so the units don't really feel special or unique... As every TCG player will know, its the difference between playing a game with someone else's deck, and playing with your OWN custom deck, that you've gathered...)
- No career mode (would be nice to have a rpg-ish [There are already traits in game] career, where you selected 'demi-gods', each with his/her own special combination of mana colors, (Example = Baal is a black and red mana player), with unique traits and unique cards...)

Overall, I'd say this is a great game to pick up (for the price), but if any real competition comes by (Orions: Legend of Wizards for example), this game won't be as attractive anymore...

Personally however, I would LOVE to either see this game mature to the levels and depths of Orions, or Orions should adopt the visual styles in this game (playing minions onto the field, with combat animations, etc. Think Eye of Judgment!)...

Oh, almost forgot...

- Very poor customer support (I've mailed them thrice through their website, got no response)
- Lame website (There's practically nothing there, just some blobs of text and some media... Can't find their forum either...

====
End
====

Looking forward to this game's future DLC's, expansions, and perhaps even ver. 2.0!

Hey Jason, I wrote you back on the questions you asked a few days ago already... Did you not receive my email?? it may be in your junk mail if you haven't looked? but i'll give you a more detailed response on your questions on here tonight. (i have to get to my rl job until about 8 or so this evening) ;)

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

Awesome, will wait for your post here meanwhile... And nope, didn't get your responses... Checking Junk... Hmmm... I found 1 of your mails, a response for the most recent question about the missing cards...

Thanks for the response though, but I've got even more questions now! Lol...

Hey, I hope I'm not taking too much of your time here...

OP
C

cro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On to your questions and comments, Jason. :)

Hey,

Questions I have:

====
iTunes review
====

Pros:
- Addictive gameplay

Cons:

Oh, almost forgot...

====
End
====

Here we go.
1 - i addressed the orbs issue with you in the last email i sent, but the 3 orbs represent 3 different accounts/characters for you and a friend or bro or sis to play against each other. :)

2 - when i say future updates, i mean that fans will be able to have direct say in future cards. we will most-likely post a few minions and/or spell graphix up on the games website (along with the games forum we're working on) that you will be able to give us your feedback and suggestions on. we'll be doing some cool contests in a future update as well that will give our players a chance to have their likeness and/or name made into a minion for the game.

3 - thanks for the props and your thoughts on the game.

4 - let me start the "con's:" section by saying that this game is NOT finished. it is pretty much still a beta. the groundwork has been laid now were adding the stuff that we feel will be best for the game and our players.

- can't do much about the load times with graphix as good as ours. ;)
- we are currently working on a much more user friendly deck editor.
- we are currently expanding the tutorial and i am writing up a cool little FAQ for the heroesblade website that will explain a ton of things that aren't 100% clear at the beginning of the game. (open to suggestions here btw)
- card upgrades area will be included in the new and improved deck editor
- bugs are evil and we exterminate their malicious evil the moment someone tells us they've found one. :mad: if you find one PLEASE inform us immediately and we'll get right on it. we have taken care of every single bug reported to us as of version 1.04 (still may be some random bugs that ppl haven't written us about yet though).
- don't really know what you're looking for w/ the multi-tasking comment?
- graphix this good are expensive, animations that good would cost a first born child. if we get a ton of adds we MAY consider doing battle animations, but until then. sorry. we're just 2 dudes tryin' 2 make a really great game on a limited budget. lol. :p
- certain units were sort-of meant to be useless or better stated, as "not as useful in later stages of the game." the game will be balanced out with the addition of more cards. we aren't going to change cards very often unless they turn out just obscenely strong, we'll add new cards that are really great counters to the old powerful ones. speaking of which, we currently have a small group of new cards in the works. (the 1st expansion will probably have about 20-35 new minions and about a dozen new spells, but i'm not 100% sure about that just yet. we're still workin' on the graphix and code work for them).
- the game actually does have a back story, its just not been implemented just yet. we have a story/career mode kind of on the back-burner that we'll work on more as we get more players added and a bit more $ to work with for expansions. :)
- and about the "poor customer support" comment. i don't know what happened 2 the email responses i sent u the other day, but i know i wrote u back. :p ...now that i think about it, my partner said he didn't receive a few emails from me about a wk or so ago.... i dunno. anyway, the website is a work in progress 2 dude. lol. we're gonna add a player forum on the website in the future along with some other cool pages. maybe some random explosions and a motorcycle catching on fire or somethin' too? would that make u happy? lol

hope that helps. i answer every email that i get (takes me a day or sometimes though, b/c i have 3 jobs, a really hot and awesome wife and i play music all the time)... i'm a busy dude. :D holla!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just bought this game but hadn't started playing yet. I'm glad to see a dev active on the forums!

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Cro, your response is much appreciated!

Lets get into some details, shall we?

1 - i addressed the orbs issue with you in the last email...
I think you're missing the point. I know each orb represents a different profile, my problem is, that on one of the profiles, certain cards never show up in the store... I can see the enemy using the cards (Curse, Dawn and that rock thing), but I cannot find these cards in the store... And this happens on only one of the profiles... I play on the other profiles, and those cards are available (either immediately or after a few games) in the store...

2 - when i say future updates, i mean that fans will be able to have direct say in future cards...
Ah, point taken... Now I'm going to keep more of my idiocy to myself, and just wait it out for ya'll to take the reins!

...this game is NOT finished. it is pretty much still a beta...
Well, if this is the case, could I request a tiny 'Beta' stamp on the main menu? Perhaps with a built in option to provide feedback directly to you guys? Knowing that the game itself is in beta will grant players a lot more tolerance when they encounter bugs... Not to mention those (like me) who'll be head over heels knowing that the beta was fun as hell... Lol...

can't do much about the load times with graphix as good as ours.
Hahaha, no doubt... But can we see a reduction in the menu load times? I can live with a 2-3 second load time when initiating battle, but the same load time when accessing the store? But hey, ya'll're the devs, if thou sayeth nay, then so be it...

we are currently expanding the tutorial and i am writing up a cool little FAQ for the heroesblade website that will explain a ton of things that aren't 100% clear at the beginning of the game. (open to suggestions here btw)
Ok, not to be pushy here, but when you say you're expanding on the tutorial, I hope its not just in the 'Help' section... Can we see an interactive 'demo' level, with step by step guides? The game could auto-detect first play on a profile, and prompt players if they wanna go through the 12 step tutorial... Give 'em like, 20 gold if they complete it... Lol...

As for suggestions to what isn't clear right off the bat, I'll make another post after this one...

bugs are evil and we exterminate their malicious evil the moment someone tells us they've found one...
Lol... Evil bugs, eh? I'll make another list for the bugs I've found so far, in a following post...

don't really know what you're looking for w/ the multi-tasking comment
Ok, here's what I mean... In the middle of a game, when I hit the home button, I'll find myself on the springboard... If i tap the game icon, it'll take me to the game's main menu again, and not right back where I left it (like other apps which have multi-tasking enabled).

I know you guys're currently solving the problem by saving the combat state, and restoring that when the player hit's 'begin' on the profile in question, but it would be nicer to actually see true multitasking in play...

graphix this good are expensive, animations that good would cost a first born child. if we get a ton of adds we MAY consider doing battle animations, but until then. sorry. we're just 2 dudes tryin' 2 make a really great game on a limited budget. lol. :p
First - LMAO, Second - FLMFAO... See, for 2 devs in the basement, this game scores a nice 9/10... I didn't know ya'll were so strained on resources, if that's the case, the combat is great as it is mate. Combat animations are icing I can do without... On the topic of animations however, I do have another quirk I'd like to highlight...

When the player takes damage directly, there's a blood splash animation on the health indicator, after which the number there changes. It is somewhat obvious (and annoying) when the HP number changes before the blood animation plays... Nothing big, but something to put into place if you're aiming for that golden 11/10 score...

certain units were sort-of meant to be useless...
Well, this makes sense, but I'm still in favor of the StarCraft2 approach, where every unit in game has its value, as it counters something or the other... Now, don't get me wrong for this point, if you've got reasons for the current balancing, then its all good...

A slightly off topic suggestion - Can we see custom upgrading for cards? Spend gold (and cyrstals or something?) to upgrade attributes of specific cards in user decided ways? Instead of just "Point A -> Point B", can we see something like an upgrade screen where you change stats (dmg, def, health, etc.) and add abilities? If the total changes amount to more than a certain amount of gold, the card's graphic also changes...? (This is more like a wishlist...)

the game actually does have a back story...
Ooo... This is nice to hear... Any change ya'll need some backstory written? Card descriptions and such? I wouldn't mind making contributions! (Oh! Pick me! Pick me!)

...i don't know what happened 2 the email responses i sent u the other day, but i know i wrote u back...
Honest, didn't mean to come across as being harsh with this comment mate... I scanned the spambox, and found only 1 of your responses (buried between 217 adverts for penis enlargement pills and million dollar business deals)... See, right now, I'd rate customer support as a solid 8/10... :)

we're gonna add a player forum on the website in the future along with some other cool pages. maybe some random explosions and a motorcycle catching on fire or somethin' too? would that make u happy? lol
Yay for the player forum! Can't wait to use Void's (or even Talon's) face as my avatar! :)

===

Thanks for the response mate, really appreciate ya'll taking the time out for this... And yes, you be a busy dude indeed... What music do you play by the way? What instrument?

As for the random explosions and motorcycle catching on fire... HOW'D YOU KNOW? Get out of my mind damn it! Hahaha...

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Things that are not obvious right off the bat:

- How to discard a card from your deck
- How traits add up (2x levels of the 'Spike Shield Trait' actually gives you a 50% chance to do 2 dmg... Right?)
- I know you've explained damage/defense calculations on the website, but it would be nice to include this in the game itself
- Can we see spell AoE? Like the lightning bolt (or something along those lines) hits the center and all adjacent targets, including friendlies... Can we see like a change of tint on the placement shadows to indicate affected areas when hovering the spells?
- Any chance we can see a 'history' tab? To know what cards were played by whom last? Sometimes the AI uses a new card (particularly for spells) and I can't catch the graphic clearly, and I have no idea what happened...
- Can we see a ticker for the total remaining cards on your hand?
- Any way you can include a visual indication on the card itself whether the unit is ranged or not?
- How is the store refreshed? Its not very obvious right away, that you need to win a battle for it to refresh, otherwise it won't refresh at all...

Bugs I've encoutered (on v1.04, on the 4.2.1 OS (Non-jailbroken)):

- Scrolling left and right really fast (flicks) on the card strip at the bottom during a match might cause it to snap to the beginning or end, or it might result in a card getting picked up (and even played!) when all you wanted to do was look at the others you have available
- Quite sure it wasn't intended, but it would be nice to have the placement shadows still visible for card placement after the first level... (Perhaps include it as an option that players can toggle for their preference?)
- Playing 2 or more cards really fast, can crash the game
- Playing a mana card really fast (haven't perfected the glitch yet) at the very beginning of the game can glitch the game into giving you 2 mana, and then blocking you from dragging any more cards off of the strip... (You have to close the game and resume to be able to drag cards onto the field - The 2 units of mana are still there...)
- Playing a void zombie (might work on other cards) really fast might glitch the game into not showing the card's graphic on screen... So it looks like the card isn't really there... (I can still consume the void zombie with the zombie hoard's casting)
- Rarely, I can repeat the void zombie consumption over and over, (got 22 dmg on my zombie hoard once - the game promptly crashed afterwards).

===

Not a bug, but I was wondering if it was ok to remove the condition that you can only defeat an enemy once, after which you need to lose to the boss in order to play the same enemy again? I find myself beating enemy #3 once, collecting the gold, starting and immediately quitting the battle with the boss, just to be able to farm enemy #3...

Ok, can't think of anything else, but will post here as soon as I come across more...

Last edited:
OP
C

cro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks NumbLock. :)

I just bought this game but hadn't started playing yet. I'm glad to see a dev active on the forums!

We actually care about our fans so we try 2 do everything we can to stay visible and reachable for them. :)

Thanks for giving our game a try! We sincerely appreciate it. :D and i'll be around on here and some other forums as much as i can. if u ever need anything don't hesitate 2 ask!

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, caught one for you...

d4ffa652.png

Basically, the cards tend to forget where their original position was, and just sit there in the middle of the screen...

Recreate, by moving card really fast, or by swiping the bottom strip left and right really fast... Also, try taking a screenshot while holding card (Tap and hold to move card to play field, but don't let go of the card yet)...

Most reactions

Latest posts