What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad sound cutting out/ intermittent

Legbreaking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm having a few problems with the sound on my iPad. I'm running the latest os.

The sound in all apps and other sound eg keyboard clicks stops working intermittently, and the volume slider when I double click the home screen disappears. The sound sometimes comes back for a few seconds then goes again randomly. NB. Sound works fine with headphones

I've done a lot of reading in other post, and have tried the following:

1. Messed about with the mute switch/screen lock switch on side of iPad as well as in the settings menu
2. Complete system reset via settings
3. Reset holding home and lock

Nothing has worked.

Anyone experienced this? Anyone got a solution?

Many thanks in advance, it's driving me nuts!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Regarding your issue have you closed all your apps completely in the multi task bar? Try this :
Do the four finger swipe up to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night. Check and see if it is operating now. If not do a restart

Restart: Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will start again. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running smoothly. Now see if it is operating. If not a reset is the next step.

Reset: Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. This is a reset.

Another thought also, when you are playing using your headphones it is a good idea to stop the app first before taking your headphones out. Let us know if this makes a difference

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
L

Legbreaking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the help, I've tried what you've suggested but the sound still continues to cut out.

Anyone else experienced this?

a3.trion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad is having the same problem. Same as described. I even tried restoring but sound still intermittent.

mosweiss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here. I think it's something to do with Bluetooth speaker interaction. Who knows? I close the app and make sure it's not running and the sound goes back to normal.

Snowy3uk2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same problem with my ipad2. I tried a hard reset and on the advice of Apple i tried a full factory restore without then reinstalling any media or apps. When having done this I still found intermittent sound problems Apple agreed to replace my ipad as it was within its warranty period.
I strongly suspect that this is a hardware issue and to do with the headphone port. I was able to get sound back by removing and
replacing the headphones although the sound would fail again after a while. This may be as simple as having dust/dirt in the socket
so if your ipad is not under warranty i would suggest trying a blast of compressed air in the socket.

Lytrela

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here. I changed all my settings then resorted to a complete system reset but the problem recurred after a few days. I just discovered that closing the cover and plugging then unplugging my headphones fixes it (thanks for the input Snowy3uk2). This may be only temporary as well, but I'll take it over a reset. I'm far from any Genius bar.

peter122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm having a few problems with the sound on my iPad. I'm running the latest os.

The sound in all apps and other sound eg keyboard clicks stops working intermittently, and the volume slider when I double click the home screen disappears. The sound sometimes comes back for a few seconds then goes again randomly. NB. Sound works fine with headphones

I've done a lot of reading in other post, and have tried the following:

1. Messed about with the mute switch/screen lock switch on side of iPad as well as in the settings menu
2. Complete system reset via settings
3. Reset holding home and lock

Nothing has worked.

Anyone experienced this? Anyone got a solution?

Many thanks in advance, it's driving me nuts!

Trie and restart it that might work or take it in to the shop

drakedane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having a similar issue with audio suddenly muting. although i am not sure about the cause (started happening, unexpectedly, after having ipad for a long time), the temp fix i use is to simply hit the up or down volume on the external BT keyboard; and the sound immediately begins to play again.

Maybe someone else can try this, to see if it works for them. never use my ipad without external keyboard, but maybe just try hitting volume buttons on ipad, to see if that fixes it. seems like this mostly happens when watching vids on youtube and sometimes my slingplayer. but, when i play the alex jones audio stream, i don't think i have ever experienced this issue.

I should note that, once the problem starts, the "temp fix" is VERY temporary, and sometimes the problem recurs every few seconds or minutes, requiring me to keep hitting my volume keys, to keep the sound on and working.

Very frustrating!

tracyleigh33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my iPad mini. It does seem like it has to do with the headphone jack. It seemed that the sound worked with the headphones or earbuds for awhile, but the sound cuts off just the same. Works again after a restart, but not for long. No fun!

Nsjsjsjsjsjs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just turn your Bluetooth off had this problem tried the reply and it worked and double click home button swipe apps up and bravo :D

Most reactions

Latest posts