What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad shuts down in heat lawsuit.

Jazzephaye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The stupidest lawsuit by far!!!

Can't they find anything else??? Since day one, those who have negative things to say about the iPad continue to find more. The most recent is how in the blazing heat the iPad shuts down. SO WHAT!!! IT'S HOT. We burn up to a crisp in 90 degree weather too and shut down physically, shoudn't the iPad?. Plus, we all know in direct sunlight the screen is hard to see anyway, so why would you be using it outside. As hot as it has been (in ATL) you need to be in the house anyway!!! The iPad is not the only things that doesnt work well outside in sunlight...shoot, you can be reading a book outside and depending on where your sitting, the sun reflects off the pages and make reading hard to do. Granted your book doesn't close on it own, but sooner or later you'll be closing it anyway.

Can't you tell I dont like people who don't like the iPad?....lol

See Article:
Lawsuit Says iPad Overheats, is 'Unusable' in Direct Sunlight | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's all about the almighty $$$$ and nothing else.. Way to many attorneys in this world... The two biggest groups of people you can't trust are car dealers and attorneys...:confused: Hope I didn't any feelings out there but JMHO

nthnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand why someone would want to use it in that weather. When it is that hot, I try to spend as little time outside as possible - and I definitely don't pull my iPad out to watch a darn movie! If I'm outside in that heat, I'm doing something where using my iPad would just get in the way.

I agree - everything is about the money. People are greedy and will stop at nothing.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Frankly the rtards should have their iPad's forcibly removed.

They are not worthy.......

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first weekend that I had my iPad (early May), I was using it outside in direct sunlight. It was difficult to read the screen, but I was using it anyway. After a couple of hours it started shutting down. I eventually started to put a damp rag next to the back to cool it down so I could still use it.

That was the only time I had the problem though.

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used mine for a few hours on the beach in Rimini Italy and didn't have any issues with over heating. People will always find something to complain about though, it's just human nature.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont think this has anything to do with people who dont like the iPad. Those people never bought one. I dont really care if someone doesnt like the iPad - its not for everyone. As long as they leave me alone, I dont care.

garyt01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the overheating problem. I AM NOT PART OF THIS LAWSUIT! It occurred the first time in 70 degree weather after 5 minutes of use. I was told that this happened because I was in sunlight. I explained to them that I had purchased the Ipad to replace a kindle and their ads stated, at the time “take it everywhereâ€. I told them there should be better information on their website and I was informed that their operating specs clearly stated that its operating range was to 95 degrees. I stated I was in 70 degree weather and was told that those spec were the internal specs though that was not stated. I had also read in the forums that others had had the same problem and had their units replaced several times until they received a unit that worked in the sun. Apple denied any knowledge of this. I was informed I was using my unit incorrectly and there was nothing they would do for me. Gentlemen when one operates their company in this manor stonewalling perhaps thousands of customers who clearly have defective units they usually ends up in court the only avenue left available.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Normally, when companies have defective products and treat their customers as though they are the problem, the situations usually correct themselves with lost sales, reputation lost, etc... Somehow Apple seems to continue to gain momentum in spite of it. The ultimate recourse, is not for consumers to sue, but to stop buying.

Nova69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greenhouse effect

These people need to realize that the same process that works in a greenhouse is at work here. A greenhouse heats up because incoming visible solar radiation from the sun is absorbed by the things inside the building. Glass is transparent to this radiation as it enters. However, whatever is inside the greenhouse will re-radiate this energy in the infra-red, to which glass is partly opaque, and that energy is trapped inside the greenhouse (under the ipad glass). Although there is some heat loss due to conduction, there is a net increase in energy (and therefore temperature) under the glass.

This is just like what happens in your car. Park it in the sun and it gets much hotter than if you park it in the shade. It is cooler in the shade, of course, but the increase in the temperature in your car if parked in direct sunlight is not proportional to the difference in temperature if you stand in the sun or in the shade. Again, this is a greenhouse effect.

The moral of this story is: Keep your iPad out of the direct sunlight and stop whining about a natural process.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think there is more to it than that. I've used my iPad in 90 degrees in direct sunlight for a few hours with no problem. I have seen several reports of them shutting down in the 70s, getting units replaced, and then not having the problem. If those reports are correct, there may be a quality control issue or early design flaw that has been corrected.

Most reactions