What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with ipad too hot error

topaztunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep getting this message and the ipad (original) shuts down. Apple has already swapped out the ipad once. Just before the last set of errors before the swap, I had been using the ipad outside, but it was only 74 degrees. The ipad registered as 133 degrees though, in the system dump. So, today it was 68 degrees. I sat outside reading a (real) book for an hour. The ipad was sitting by itself in the shade, unused during that time. I then used the ipad for about 20 minutes - long enough to purchase 2 books (what kind of idiot buys more products for a device that croaks every time I use it?) - before I got the error again (now, it just says "Temperature").

Note: I bought this ipad in September and used it in hot weather in Europe immediately after without a problem till a couple of months ago.

Is this related to the multitasking feature? The problems seem to have started around the time I upgraded. Is there anything I can do? I'm 2 weeks away from a long trip and everything I need is loaded on the damn ipad (guide books, maps, currency converter, books, movies, etc.). I really need a solution fast.

Thanks!

OP
T

topaztunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dav

Thanks for the pointer Dav. It looks like there was a flurry of discussion back a year ago, but then the thread just dropped. Don't know if anything was ever figured out. One thing for sure: Apple knows about this problem - they are just BSing me when they pretend this is an exceedingly rare event.

I'm hoping for more feedback. Will post again if I find any solutions.

Dav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok sorry the thread was not more help for you. If I come across an answer/solution i will point you in the direction of it.

Hettybetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep getting this message and the ipad (original) shuts down. Apple has already swapped out the ipad once. Just before the last set of errors before the swap, I had been using the ipad outside, but it was only 74 degrees. The ipad registered as 133 degrees though, in the system dump. So, today it was 68 degrees. I sat outside reading a (real) book for an hour. The ipad was sitting by itself in the shade, unused during that time. I then used the ipad for about 20 minutes - long enough to purchase 2 books (what kind of idiot buys more products for a device that croaks every time I use it?) - before I got the error again (now, it just says "Temperature").

Note: I bought this ipad in September and used it in hot weather in Europe immediately after without a problem till a couple of months ago.

Is this related to the multitasking feature? The problems seem to have started around the time I upgraded. Is there anything I can do? I'm 2 weeks away from a long trip and everything I need is loaded on the damn ipad (guide books, maps, currency converter, books, movies, etc.). I really need a solution fast.

Thanks!
If you call apple they give really good advise.

Hettybetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Hettybetty - welcome to the forum! :)

If not noticed, this thread is nearly 4 years old and a lot has changed w/ Apple's iDevices hardware in that time. Dave
Mmhmm, I was just giving a suggestion.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mmhmm, I was just giving a suggestion.
Hi, Hettybetty!
It's good to see that you're trying to help. People mostly join here to get advice, so that they don't have to contact Apple. :)

The participants of this conversation didn't return to this thread for almost four years, though. It's almost certain that they won't read your reply.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello again Hettybetty - my comment was not meant to be a criticism, just a suggestion to look at the dates of previous posts - as Johanna states the original posters are often 'gone' from the forum, but another important issue is that new posters will often tack on a current problem w/ their devices to an old thread that will likely never to viewed by others. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts