What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad setup help needed!

ShutterbugLaurie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I don't know what's wrong. I got an iPad 2 for Christmas, and before I even attempted to hook it up I did some research as to the proper setup so I'd make sure I did it right. I went in and updated my iTunes to the latest version, then rebooted my computer and hooked up my iPad. My system is a PC running Windows 7 64 bit, and it's less than 6 months old. I live way out in the country, no 3G, and I have to have satellite internet. Got a router, running this PC and another via a cable, but should be able to run my iPad off the router. IF I could get my PC to recognize the iPad! When I first hooked it up it flashed a message about not being able to hook up, then nothing. Every time I try to plug it in, with iTunes signed in, nothing happens. I get a grey cloth-looking screen that says iPad, with no service on one side and not charging on the other. It then immediately shuts off. When I go to my computer, it's not listed there as a device. What is going on? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your visit(s).

Then, do you have your iPad connected directly to the PC? Not via a USB hub or dock, but plugged directly into the port on your computer.

Next, have a look at this Apple support page: Apple - Support - iPad - iTunes Assistant

See if that does you any good. If not, let us know and we'll try something else. If it does - still let us know it was successful.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
S

ShutterbugLaurie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Thanks Marilyn! Last night I gave up and had it packed up to take 75 miles to the nearest place with tech support. However, this morning, I tried one more time before leaving for work, and it connected! I'm still puzzled over what was causing it. I was plugging directly into a usb port, no hub, and every time I hooked it up the computer made the little notification sound it makes every time new hardware or another drive is hooked up, and the iPad made a little beeping sound. So it was connected. But it wouldn't hook up till this morning. Once it did I was able to set it up with no problems at all.

I plan on staying around to learn more about my iPad and apple products, as this is my first. I've always been a Zune girl on MP3 players, and my phone is a droid. So I have a lot to learn...

Thanks again!

Laurie

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, in order to activate an iPad, iTunes needs to connect back to Apple's servers. It is possible they were so overwhelmed by Christmas activations that getting connected was spotty. You weren't the only one to experience similar problems, nor the only one to come seeking help here. I'll claim that as support for my completely-useless-after-the-fact theory. ;)

Welcome to the iPadFourms.

OP
S

ShutterbugLaurie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
That makes a lot of sense! Satellite internet (all I can get besides dial-up here) may have added to the problems. I'm just relieved I got it set up! I went ahead and ran the update too, all in all I was an hour and a half late to work because I was not about to go off and leave it without finishing the setup! Thanks for the welcome, it's great to know there are so many awesome people willing to share their expertise here. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hurray! Glad you got it going.

I'll go along with twerppoet's explanation as to what was happening. Else, it was the sheer awesomeness of this forum just somehow influenced that iPad to behave and play well with your computer. Yeah, that's what it was! :D

Regardless, glad its sorted. And, thanks for updating us - always nice to hear the success stories.

Marilyn

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Laurie and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts