What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad sending email from wrong account

Daisymae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even though you can choose to have an email go out from another account (clicking on the from address in the email), it does not seem to be sending from that account. It's sending from an account I'm not even in at the time. My Thunderbird has this choice to send from other accounts, so I know it can work - it's just not. Anyone run into his, and better yet- a solution? :)

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I have 3 pop3 accounts. I do not have the problem you speak of. In settings, what do you have the outgoing server set at for your multiple email account?

You need to have the unique smpt for each one.....

OP
D

Daisymae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to Bremen

I have 7 accounts, and 5 of them work fine. Windows live and my work email both get sent as if from my Gmail account. It appears this is an iPad bug. It doesn't make sense that you can choose your reply- to info on the email, and then have it use a different address. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a choice and it would be sent from the first smtp outgoing it finds. Thanks for the suggestion though.

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't seem to have any issue.

I have all of my accounts forwarded to my MobileMe email - so when I go to reply, it naturally goes to reply from me MobileMe email. I just click on it and change the "From" address and select one of my other accounts set up on the iPad and it sends from that address.

Haven't had any issues sending from MobileMe, Gmail, work or other emails as of yet.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to double check the account settings, in mail set up you can have an account use the server of another account for sending. So even though you are sending use a specific address, it may use a different server to send the message.

OP
D

Daisymae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting closer - Gmail

After nearly an hour on the line with a really patient Apple support guy, trying everything the two of us could think of, here's the workaround we came up with . . . it appears to have something to do with Gmail and their SMTP. If the gmail account is on, it is high-jacking some of my other POP accounts to have the email appear as if it's coming from Gmail, even if Gmail is not an active SMTP for that account. Once I turn Gmail off, the email sends from its rightful owner.

This is not an issue I'm having on my iPhone, so he thinks it is something within either Apple email or Gmail. For now, I have Gmail on to get that email, but have to turn it off to reply from my critical accounts.

Not the best solution, but workable for now - and better than no solution.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm....

Seems Google and Apple aren't being friendly again...

Glad you at least found a workaround.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
This looks like you setup two email accounts but gave an incorrect description name for them. So lets say i setup [email protected] but i gave it a description name of [email protected]. When you go to select the email account, you will select [email protected] but in reality the email gets sent out on [email protected]

I would say its best to just start from scratch. Delete the accounts and re-add them. Make sure you put the correct description name.

A similar issue mentioned above could be that the account and description are correct but the outgoing server in advanced settings is set to another account. This is another reason why its just a good idea to delete the accounts and start over.

Last edited:

golf12561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar situation but it's not with sending but email from the ipad provides my real name for emails that I use on accounts for gaming sites, blogs, etc. where I don't want my name to appear. I cannot figure out a way to prevent that. The iphone provides a spot for individual names to use for each account e.g. "John Doe" for professional and persona emails and "The Gamer" say for game sites. All emails no matter what account on the iphone show from John Doe but with the proper email account.

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
It happens all the time? It happens when your sending from say an out going gmail account (as a failover in line with your outgoing accounts) when your primary for one account wont send. Say for example your comcast account is trying to send from your authenticated gmail account because your primary for comcast wasn't working.

Try setting it up like I did and see if that fixes it, I'm fairly sure it will...

Configure multiple ipad email accounts iPad equipment and software

golf12561

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll give your set-up a try. This is how I explained it on the apples forums and a in feedback to apple: Suppose I provide tech support for apps and the support email is "[email protected]," with no particular person's name associated with the support email since any number of people have access to the email box, I don't want the ipad to prefix that email addy with MY name. I expect "from" to appear to the recipient as "[email protected]" and NOT John Doe (where John Doe is the name associated with my mobile me account) for that email addy when I haven't provided a person's name for that email account. This seems to be the case when I use gmail that is set up under MS Exchange and there is no place to enter a name; nor does the mail app on the ipad pull the settings from gmail's site settings where I have specifically set the name as "Support." As I stated previously, it works correctly on iPhone. The other thing is I only have one outgoing server in my list, well two, one for mac and one for yahoo. can't see the ones listed for the exchange for gmail.

tulipman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
tulipman.smugmug.com
Even though you can choose to have an email go out from another account (clicking on the from address in the email), it does not seem to be sending from that account. It's sending from an account I'm not even in at the time. My Thunderbird has this choice to send from other accounts, so I know it can work - it's just not. Anyone run into his, and better yet- a solution? :)

Do I correctly understand from your message that you are running Thunderbird as a mail client on your iPad?

I tried to install Thunderbird on my iPad, but all I get is:
Download failed.
Safari cannot download this file.

Rgd

Robbert

Most reactions