What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad screen protector question

anonchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never had a screen protector on my first iPad, but I wanna get one for the iPad 2. My question is how do screen protectors affect your finger's ability to "glide" across the screen? My fingers would constantly come to a stop or cause a lot of friction on the screen, and Im worried that a screen protector would make that even worse. What screen protector would protect my screen yet have the smallest effect on usability?

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't feel the same...I don't use them on my tablets or Phone..Not only is it not as smooth but takes away some sensativity...Had several different types on my phone from wet installs to dry....in the end it was a waste of money...I like my fingers to smoothly glide. Had my ipad1 for along time Along with my Vibrant and 0 scratches on screens.

When i finally find an ipad 2 in store it will also be without screen protector.

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually agree about screen protectors but I'm using a brand called gecko and you can't feel it or see it. It's worth it if you are nervous about scratching.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't feel the same...I don't use them on my tablets or Phone..Not only is it not as smooth but takes away some sensativity...Had several different types on my phone from wet installs to dry....in the end it was a waste of money...I like my fingers to smoothly glide. Had my ipad1 for along time Along with my Vibrant and 0 scratches on screens.

When i finally find an ipad 2 in store it will also be without screen protector.

I agree with you. My Droid X, original iPad and my iPad 2 do not have a screen protector on them. My Original Droid unit never did and it's in perfect condition as is my original iPad.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
This is my advice for anyone wanting a screen protector (coming from a guy who sells tablets and phones all day) :

It is VERY hard to scratch the ipad screen because of the material it is made of. In fact, some small superficial scratches can be buffed out if done by the right person. A screen protector only really loses a small amount of sensitivity, if any. The only reason I recommend them is if you are worried about glass shattering when dropping. What the screen protector will do, is keep the glass from shattering all over and hold it into place.

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
I use the ones from the apple store on my iphone 3gs and they are very smooth.

However i wont put one on my ipad as it will be for less abused so the risk of scratching it very, very low.

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure of the purpose of those screen protectors. I had one on my iPhone, didn't like it, removed it and never bought another one. As far as smudges go my stylus works well in reducing fingerprints and bodily secretions, uh oil LOL. I can't see how those films would provide impact protection. Read the comments on scratches . . . I've owned touch screen devices since they've been out and never had a scratch on the screen or anywhere else. So, if there is a point it escapes me.

Last edited:

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally use an anti-glare screen protector. Not for the protection, but for the anti-glare qualities... It also reduces fingerprints.

Oh and to the original posters question - I've found the anti-glare protectors to be MORE "slippery" than the glass alone. So, it actually HELPS your fingers glide even better!

EDIT: Let me add a "but..." here! There are many different "qualities" of anti-glare screen protectors. Some make the screen grainy or fuzzy looking. Others, such as Power Support anti-glare offer anti-glare and transparency. I also just found some iPad anti-glare protectors at 5Below for $5 that are almost as good as the $35 Power Support model! You just never know until you try... power support is a sure thing though.

Last edited:

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:
In fact, some small superficial scratches can be buffed out if done by the right person.

I do have a 1cm scratch in the middle of my screen. No idea how I did it. But who is is "the right kind of person" to buff it out? Can you advise on the sort of professional to do this?

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not nor will apply a film on my iPad. I have an invisible Zagg on my iphone4 along with a defender case which I like or hate at times.

Most reactions