What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad screen colors all messed up

clarie91s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! My iPad 2 has the same problem after I dropped it this morning and I've tried patting, tapping, thumping, knocking, clapping it on the back, and tried tapping each corner, as I read somewhere else, but nothing's changed. I've also reset it once. A screenshot I took with this iPad looks normal on my iPhone. What do I do now?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! My iPad 2 has the same problem after I dropped it this morning and I've tried patting, tapping, thumping, knocking, clapping it on the back, and tried tapping each corner, as I read somewhere else, but nothing's changed. I've also reset it once. A screenshot I took with this iPad looks normal on my iPhone. What do I do now?
Since you've already tried the recommended quick fixes the problem will likely require a visit to the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store for a diagnosis. The problem is likely to be a loose connector that's a little too unseated to fix by the methods you've already tried.

clarie91s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you've already tried the recommended quick fixes the problem will likely require a visit to the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store for a diagnosis. The problem is likely to be a loose connector that's a little too unseated to fix by the methods you've already tried.
Thanks for replying scifan57. It's fixed now, and guess what...whacking it on the back did work! I had just contacted Apple support through their website, then came across a post on the Apple forums that said to whack it face down ON THE BED, so I tried it. 1st try - some colour change, 2nd try - voila! I'm not too sure, though, if it was solely this method that fixed it, or if the Apple diagnostic test somehow made this method plausible. It's very interesting how different methods work for different people in combating the same problem.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad your problem is fixed. Thanks for letting us know, it may help the next person with your problem.

Blkstk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome!

After MUCH more Googling, I found some others who had this same problem. They suggested to tap it on a table or clap the back of the iPad. Crazy, right? But I tapped it three times, then clapped it on the back. And voila! Beautiful intact colors again. right?

I already have an Otterbox defender case on it, but lesson learned: no more letting the 4-year-old carry the iPad around! Until recently I only allowed my daughter (almost 5) to use the iPad while seated on the couch, and never to walk around with it. But lately I have become complacent. No mas!
Sound of jaw dropping! This worked!!!! Amazed!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sound of jaw dropping! This worked!!!! Amazed!

My wife was in tears until I found this thread. Yes it works. Thanks everyone!

This thread is really proving to be one of those which just keeps on giving!

So glad your iPads are now back to normal! And thanks for letting us know!

Merry Christmas to All!! :p

Friendlyteacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome!

After MUCH more Googling, I found some others who had this same problem. They suggested to tap it on a table or clap the back of the iPad. Crazy, right? But I tapped it three times, then clapped it on the back. And voila! Beautiful intact colors again. right?

I already have an Otterbox defender case on it, but lesson learned: no more letting the 4-year-old carry the iPad around! Until recently I only allowed my daughter (almost 5) to use the iPad while seated on the couch, and never to walk around with it. But lately I have become complacent. No mas!
I just did this and boom! Back to normal! All else is working well. Thanks!

susanshan5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I woke up this morning grabbed my iPad to check the weather and the colors on the screen are all screwed up. Tried a restart, no good. Tried a reset, no good. Tried a restore, no good. Took it to the genius bar and they informed me it would be $299 to replace the LCD screen. Any ideas/ suggestions would be much appreciated.
I have had this happen. For me what worked was to press the Home button 3 times consecutively. Good luck! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have had this happen. For me what worked was to press the Home button 3 times consecutively. Good luck! :)

Go to Settings > General > Accessibility and scroll all the way to the bottom. Under the Accessibility Shortcut you most likely have Invert Colors selected. Unselect it and anything else that's checked and this shouldn't happen to you again.

lezrtst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is 3 yrs old. I'm 63 yrs. old, technically challenged and volunteer with developmentally challenged adults. That's the reason I got the device to begin with. Now, I would be close to madness without it. When this happened to me I was stricken, until I stumbled across you. Don't give up! It took several tries and increasingly firm taps for me. Now, I have you on my desktop. Thank you. You made an old lady exceedingly happy.

susanshan5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have any of you who are having color issues tried pressing your home button 3 times in a row?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have any of you who are having color issues tried pressing your home button 3 times in a row?

That's the Accessibility Shortcut I was talking about in post #55. Whatever you have checked there becomes an option when you triple press the Home Button. If you only have one thing selected, it goes immediately to that mode. If you have more than one thing selected, you get a choice of what to activate. A second triple press exits the mode, or gives you the list again if more than one is selected.

Last time I checked, anyway; which has been a while.

Rana william

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I woke up this morning grabbed my iPad to check the weather and the colors on the screen are all screwed up. Tried a restart, no good. Tried a reset, no good. Tried a restore, no good. Took it to the genius bar and they informed me it would be $299 to replace the LCD screen. Any ideas/ suggestions would be much appreciated.
Hey that happened to me today but i just kept kitting it in the back then just pressed on the back for a while and it turned to normal

Most reactions