What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Retina Camera

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can anyone that owns the new retina mini tell me how good the camera is for taking photos?
Not specs.....I mean in actual usage.

I have an iPad 4 retina and love the camera......awesome picture quality (see example below).
My wife takes a lot of pictures and uses them on the iPad but would like to go with the smaller retina mini.

Any comments regarding this much appreciated.
Thanks....

2012-12-26 17.04.57-1200.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the retina mini, the mini, and the 3nd gen iPad. However, I hesitate to make a statement beyond the fact that I find all of them to not be so great. You can certainly get a shot, but the better the light the better. That's true for most of these "device" cameras. Anyway, as far a I know the mini 2 has the same 5 mp camera as the air. The 5s has an 8 mp camera and is said to take better pics than any iPad.

asteve76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't you think that people tend to be too expectant or demanding with regards to technology in general, not just camera quality? Remember the quality of cameras we were getting on our devices before the iPhone existed. Awful compared to today's cameras. There were a few stand out phones, the Sony Ericsson K800 for example, with excellent photo taking abilities but on the whole, most phones were very poor.
Besides, I'm sure Apple is quite capable of putting higher megapixel cameras in it's idevices, it just keeps them back for future models so people will have to upgrade to get them.

OP
buerkletucson

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the retina Mini can take as good of pictures as the iPad 4 I'm a very happy camper and will purchase one for my wife.
I find it very capable of taking exceptional pictures with great clarity and color detail.

She's not a professional photographer nor does she need a 20MP camera........she loves the picture quality of the iPad 4 but just would like something smaller to play and take pictures.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not much coverage on the iPad Mini Retina's camera, but from what little I've read I'd say it's a small step up from the iPad 3 and 4's camera. Mostly due to software improvements. It won't be a step back, if that's what you are worried about.

That said, the iPad Mini Retina's display has a (very) slightly narrower range of colors than the big iPads. It shouldn't be an issue for anyone but a professional photographer or artist. You'd have to place the two iPads side by side to tell the difference, or so I've heard from a podcast today.

The person who mentioned it said the Mini's display looked great, and the only way he could tell the difference was side by side, in which case the blues looked slightly more saturated on the iPad Air.

Most reactions

Latest posts