What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air vs iPad mini with Retina display: specs comparison

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
ipad-air-vs-ipad-mini-retina1.jpg

After comparing the Retina display iPad Mini with the original iPad Mini and the iPad Air with the iPad 4, it is time for a rather unusual specs battle: iPad Air versus the Retina display iPad Mini. These are two different products, aimed at a different category of consumers, but we can’t neglect some of the similarities they are carrying. And now, after the iPad Air was launched with an iPad Mini-like design, they resemble even more.

This comparison is also meant to help those who are not sure what should they buy - the iPad Air or the Retina display iPad Mini? What you will discover is that the iPad Air and the iPad Mini are actually very similar and most of their features are the same. Each has a 5-megapixel rear iSight camera and 1.2-megapixel front-facing FaceTime HD camera; each comes in either silver or space grey, in four different storage options and they have the same battery lifespan of 10 hours.

As you can see from the above table, the iPad Mini is cheaper by $100, but it is also smaller and more portable, measuring 7.87 by 5.3 by 0.29 inches and weighing 0.73 pounds. Both tablets come with the latest processor, along with the M7 motion co-processor. But while we find the Retina display in the iPad Air and iPad Mini 2, on the latter it produces a bigger number of pixels-per-inch - 326.

For $100 less, the Retina display iPad Mini will come with the exact hardware and an even sharper resolution and is also easier to carry around. But, it's all about choice, as some might prefer a bigger tablet. So, what is your choice?

Source: Apple, GigaOM

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad-air-vs-ipad-mini-retina1.jpg

After comparing the Retina display iPad Mini with the original iPad Mini and the iPad Air with the iPad 4, it is time for a rather unusual specs battle: iPad Air versus the Retina display iPad Mini. These are two different products, aimed at a different category of consumers, but we can’t neglect some of the similarities they are carrying. And now, after the iPad Air was launched with an iPad Mini-like design, they resemble even more.

This comparison is also meant to help those who are not sure what should they buy - the iPad Air or the Retina display iPad Mini? What you will discover is that the iPad Air and the iPad Mini are actually very similar and most of their features are the same. Each has a 5-megapixel rear iSight camera and 1.2-megapixel front-facing FaceTime HD camera; each comes in either silver or space grey, in four different storage options and they have the same battery lifespan of 10 hours.

As you can see from the above table, the iPad Mini is cheaper by $100, but it is also smaller and more portable, measuring 7.87 by 5.3 by 0.29 inches and weighing 0.73 pounds. Both tablets come with the latest processor, along with the M7 motion co-processor. But while we find the Retina display in the iPad Air and iPad Mini 2, on the latter it produces a bigger number of pixels-per-inch - 326.

For $100 less, the Retina display iPad Mini will come with the exact hardware and an even sharper resolution and is also easier to carry around. But, it's all about choice, as some might prefer a bigger tablet. So, what is your choice?

Source: Apple, GigaOM

Thanks for the comparison. I'm an iPhone/iPad newbie, so I'm new here.
I got my first iPhone (6s) in March, and my network provider said I could have either an iPad Air 1 or a Mini 2 with no upfront costs, but a data plan. It took me a while to decide. I wish I'd found this forum beforehand!

I already have a Samsung 7" tablet that's 3 years old now, and the portability is great. My initial choice was the iPad mini 2, but I was told that the Air 1 is a slightly better model. So, I settled for the Air. I know it's "old hat" now, but I didn't want a top of the range model for my first iPad.

The Air is really something. I was amazed at just how thin and light it is. I'm also finding that I'm using my laptop less frequently.

However.....the Air lacks the portability of the Mini 2. In an ideal world, I'd have both. I have a birthday coming up soon though lol

Most reactions