What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Refurbished or New iPad?

Charles PDX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been considering the refurb myself. I looked at Craigslist for a while yesterday in hopes of saving a couple of bucks, but the vast majority of ads are posted by people suffering from delusion, or the lingering effects of 'Reality Distortion Field Disorder'. If anyone in Portland, OR wants to reasonably sell theirs, I'm in the market ;)

The new iPad looks really nice, but not much of an upgrade for my needs either. If they had used the same cameras they use for the iPhone (instead of the useless ones they put in the iPod Touch), I might have had a different opinion. I'm not much for video chatting anyway.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charles PDX said:
I've been considering the refurb myself. I looked at Craigslist for a while yesterday in hopes of saving a couple of bucks, but the vast majority of ads are posted by people suffering from delusion, or the lingering effects of 'Reality Distortion Field Disorder'. If anyone in Portland, OR wants to reasonably sell theirs, I'm in the market ;)

The new iPad looks really nice, but not much of an upgrade for my needs either. If they had used the same cameras they use for the iPhone (instead of the useless ones they put in the iPod Touch), I might have had a different opinion. I'm not much for video chatting anyway.

I'm seeing the same thing! Silly Portland Hipsters!

Charles PDX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success! I found a brand new 16gb pad still shrink-wrapped for $300. The seller even delivered it! Still kinda wondering if I should have held out for 32gb, but I guess I'm in front of the computer enough to swap out the storage hogs (videos) as needed.

So there's your benchmark, I guess. Don't pay more than $300 for a used iPad. Hell, don't pay more than that for a new one :D

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charles PDX said:
Success! I found a brand new 16gb pad still shrink-wrapped for $300. The seller even delivered it! Still kinda wondering if I should have held out for 32gb, but I guess I'm in front of the computer enough to swap out the storage hogs (videos) as needed.

So there's your benchmark, I guess. Don't pay more than $300 for a used iPad. Hell, don't pay more than that for a new one :D

Nice! I may have to check out cl this morning.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the US they have announced deeper discounts for refurbished iPads. The 16gb wifi only model sells for $349.

Exactly! I'm considering buying a used one for even cheaper from Amazon to avoid taxes and to be even cheaper then a refurbished, but I might hold off just to get the full warranty.

At the moment I'm looking at $580 (tax included) for a refurbished iPad 64GB Wi-Fi only... which isn't too bad. All I'm really worried about is finding an iPad with no distinct usage marks... ESPECIALLY no marks on the screen and very little on the back.

Amazon doesn't sell units refurbished by Apple itself. For that matter, Amazon doesn't sell new iPads. The only ones you find there are 3rd party sellers.

Beware and AVOID refurbished Apple products from 3rd parties. Only the ones from Apple carry the same warranty as new and who knows what a 3rd party does (if anything) to call a unit "refurbished"? Buying direct from Apple you can feel confident.

I bought a refurbished iPad 1 from Apple. It looked new when I got it and has worked perfectly.

Most reactions