What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walmart refurbished apple ipad 2017 model? Who refurbishes Walmarts Apple Products??

Mountaineer304

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there everyone quick question I found a really decent deal on the 2017 ipad 9.7 $246 and some change on Walmart.com I've bought a few new Apple products from Walmart over the years but my question is....Are they refurbished by Apple this particular item is sold and shipped by Walmart not a third party seller.... I'm just wanting some input on this please thanks again everyone!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge only Apple sells Apple refurbish devices. The iPad from Walmart is most likely new (old stock) or refurbished by another company. Try looking the deal up online (at Walmart’s site). There may be more details there.

Note: If the item does not specify that it is refurbished, it is almost certainly new. I’m pretty sure it is illegal to sell refurbished products without saying so somewhere in the procuct description.

OP
Mountaineer304

Mountaineer304

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge only Apple sells Apple refurbish devices. The iPad from Walmart is most likely new (old stock) or refurbished by another company. Try looking the deal up online (at Walmart’s site). There may be more details there.

Note: If the item does not specify that it is refurbished, it is almost certainly new. I’m pretty sure it is illegal to sell refurbished products without saying so somewhere in the procuct description.

Hey there I've been extensively researching and the item does indeed show refurbished selling for $246.00 I contacted Walmart and they claim it's a certified apple refurb but I'm worried it isn't they state it has 15 day return policy through them and 1 year through manufacturer..here's the link

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Apple-iPad-2017-32GB-Space-Gray-Wi-Fi-MP2F2LL-A/220054875

Attachments

• 255D0275-726F-40C0-AFF2-A933A0601CA9.png
    255D0275-726F-40C0-AFF2-A933A0601CA9.png
    347.3 KB · Views: 386

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that nowhere in the online listing does it state that the refurb was done by Apple. Apple refurbished products come with the full Apple warranty and are eligible for AppleCare+. Apple sells this same refurbished model for $279.00. Refurbished iPad

OP
Mountaineer304

Mountaineer304

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that nowhere in the online listing does it state that the refurb was done by Apple. Apple refurbished products come with the full Apple warranty and are eligible for AppleCare+. Apple sells this same refurbished model for $279.00. Refurbished iPad

Your absolutely right so here's my question Walmart.com had brand new ones for 279.99 minus my 15 dollar discount should I buy new or give the refurbished a shot??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I doubt the difference (if any) will show in the first 15 days, or even a year. It’s a gamble on whether the wear-and-tear of a refurbished modle will show up in the iPad’s useful lifetime. By the same token, a new iPad can also fail. If you were to put it to numbers, it’s like getting an iPad that’s 90% or 95% unlikely to fail over it’s lifetime. (these numbers are made up).

It’s up to you to decide if the difference is worth the extra $30. The more reliable the refurbishing company, the narrower the difference should be.

It’s interesting that the company rep said that Apple was the refurbisher. I have no solid reason to doubt him, and it seems unlikely that Walmart is stupid enough to make such a claim if it isn’t true; but it is the first I’ve heard of Apple doing this, and I have to wonder why Walmart doesn’t plaster it all over the description. It’s a major selling point.

OP
Mountaineer304

Mountaineer304

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt the difference (if any) will show in the first 15 days, or even a year. It’s a gamble on whether the wear-and-tear of a refurbished modle will show up in the iPad’s useful lifetime. By the same token, a new iPad can also fail. If you were to put it to numbers, it’s like getting an iPad that’s 90% or 95% unlikely to fail over it’s lifetime. (these numbers are made up).

It’s up to you to decide if the difference is worth the extra $30. The more reliable the refurbishing company, the narrower the difference should be.

It’s interesting that the company rep said that Apple was the refurbisher. I have no solid reason to doubt him, and it seems unlikely that Walmart is stupid enough to make such a claim if it isn’t true; but it is the first I’ve heard of Apple doing this, and I have to wonder why Walmart doesn’t plaster it all over the description. It’s a major selling point.

I agree 110% I've spoke with a handful of customer service representatives at Walmart.com and they all make the same claim it's a apple refurbished product and it comes with walmarts 15 day return policy and apples 1 year manufacturer warranty, but I tend to doubt them as you made a valid point I think Walmart would be especially proud of selling apple certified refurbished ipads but yet they don't even hint in the lettering who the manufacturer who refurbished them actually was.... I found a brand new one 279.99 I've got a coupon code to take that down some more I think I'd feel better with a new one or if I knew it was apple refurbished for a fact!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My speculation aside, the 1 year manufacture warranty is a strong argument that it is indeed Apple (or someone certified by Apple) who refurbished them. I don’t see Apple offering its warranty for anything less.

But like you, I like the extra peace of mind that comes with knowing you’ve got a new product. If your coupon cuts the price difference down even further, then that’s even better.

Caesars

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn’t risk it, these refurb companies usually sell total CRAP. Apple Certified refurbs are seemingly as good as new (probably why they cost a bit more).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn’t risk it, these refurb companies usually sell total CRAP. Apple Certified refurbs are seemingly as good as new (probably why they cost a bit more).
Plus they have the same worldwide warranty as a new iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts