What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Best Buy Geek Squad Swapped My AUTHENTIC iPad and Gave Me a DUBIOUS HUNK of GARBAGE

MartinezM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 3 was bought new at Best Buy when the iPad 3 was new. Unfortunately, rather than going to the Apple store, my well-intentioned daughter bought it from Best Buy, paying for an extended two year warranty. After a year and a half my iPad was lagging and the screen was difficult to use. I brought it to Best Buy, and they sent me to their Geek Squad. After a great deal of controversy where I was at first sent home after being told to restore to factory defaults to SEE what would happen, and having Best Buy and the Geek Squad talk to the location where I brought the iPad for service, they offered to help me. The Supervisor determined that my iPad needed replacing so sent in for a "refurbished" to replace it.

I was appalled when looking at the refurbished "iPad". The Apple iPad logos and markings were GONE. I was told that they were supposedly "buffed off" which was hard to believe since there were scratches on the back. Given the care I told of my own to keep it from being scratched, I was heartbroken to receive this poor excuse for a replacement - refurbished or not. After approximately a month, and conveniently after my warranty ran out, this "iPad" is proving my initial belief that this was not a 100% authentic iPad. Sure, it may have some iPad parts, but after using it for only a brief time, it is becoming clear that this cannot be the brand I've used for years. First, the screen shows a discoloration when wiped down with my microfiber cloth. Further, it gets unbearably hot when used for anything over 30 minutes. I have had many Apple products, but none of them displayed this substandard quality.

I urge anyone thinking about purchasing one to go directly to the Apple store and, if more than a year's warranty is needed, the purchase of additional years would not be a method to steal from you. If you do go to Best Buy STAY AWAY FROM ANY WARRANTY INVOLVE THE GEEK SQUAD!!!!!!!!! I look at my iPad now and have zero enthusiasm for it.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, thats for sure you shouldn't go ahead for it when you see something suspicious. You should have gone for Apple Store.

Sorry to hear about this incident.

Most reactions