What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Refurbished or New iPad?

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase an iPad but trying to decide if I should pay the extra money for a new iPad or just purchase a refurbished one... from what I've heard, Apple refurbished items is essentially brand new. There's only one question I need answered: if I purchase a refurbished iPad, will the screen have any marks or scratches on it or do they replace the entire shell of the iPad?

I'm not getting the new iPad because the upgrade isn't worth the extra money at this time to me. I want it for taking notes and using remote desktop for work, I don't play any games and so I feel that the faster processor and better graphics wont really be put to use that much.

With regards,
-Premium1337

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A refurbished iPad directly from Apple will be difficult to tell from a new one without a very close examination. Or so I've heard.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the picture has become more complex because of the arrival of the iPad2. Although you say you're not really interested in the iPad2 it has an 'impact' on your decision because, as the iPad2 is introduced, the price of the iPad1 has been dropped. So this will clearly have an impact on the price of refurbished units too, though Apple have yet to clarify precisely what that impact will be - i.e. how much cheaper will a refurbished unit be.

To set your mind at rest though, a refurbished unit is physically indistinguishable from a new unit in every respect - any part of the unit that was less than absolutely perfect will have been replaced and it carries the exact same warranty as a brand new unit. So there is no need to worry about screen scratches or anything like that - you could put a refurbished unit and a new unit next to each other and you'd be unable to tell the difference.

But it might be worth waiting just a while until the iPad2 officially 'hits the streets' in the next couple of weeks to see what Apple does about the price of refurbished units.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad...

Tim
Scotland

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the US they have announced deeper discounts for refurbished iPads. The 16gb wifi only model sells for $349.

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the US they have announced deeper discounts for refurbished iPads. The 16gb wifi only model sells for $349.

Exactly! I'm considering buying a used one for even cheaper from Amazon to avoid taxes and to be even cheaper then a refurbished, but I might hold off just to get the full warranty.

At the moment I'm looking at $580 (tax included) for a refurbished iPad 64GB Wi-Fi only... which isn't too bad. All I'm really worried about is finding an iPad with no distinct usage marks... ESPECIALLY no marks on the screen and very little on the back.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
refurbished for sure. and wait for iPAD-3

refurbished . refurbished

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Exactly! I'm considering buying a used one for even cheaper from Amazon to avoid taxes and to be even cheaper then a refurbished, but I might hold off just to get the full warranty.

At the moment I'm looking at $580 (tax included) for a refurbished iPad 64GB Wi-Fi only... which isn't too bad. All I'm really worried about is finding an iPad with no distinct usage marks... ESPECIALLY no marks on the screen and very little on the back.

Apple refurbished units are guaranteed to be cosmetically perfect - no marks anywhere - back or screen.

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wait to look at the ipad 2 before ordering

No need. They've released all of the information about it so judgments can be made. Basically the only way you can make a decision is if you're able to play with one for awhile... Here's my reasoning for not buying this one...

Gyroscope:Will be the most useful for games, especially racing ones... I don't play games, simple as that.
Faster Processor: Yes, it is double and that probably would be useful for some apps... from what I've heard Pages starts to run a little slow after 8 pages or so, but thats mainly a memory problem.
Better Graphics: I wasn't even aware they could get better... with that said, apps for productivity and taking notes cant really benefit from an increase in graphics really.
Camera: Mainly useful for people who use Skype, I have yet to play with it and don't have a need.
Thinner: Thinner? Seriously? For some reason I like the idea of the thicker one more.

Thanks to everyone whose answered. I'll probably be buying a friends iPad that is in flawless condition to avoid taxes and an overall cheaper price.

-Premium1337

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was discussing with a friend this morning who was "definitely getting an iPad soon", and I pointed out there are four options:

1. Grab the run-out discounted stock of iPad 1 now, brand-new.

2. Grab a used iPad off Fleabay at huge cost reductions.

3. Wait a few weeks and get the brand-new iPad 2 at full price.

4. Wait a month or more, until the refurbished iPad2s appear, then grab those at a small discount. (The rationale being that these would be "dead-on-arrival" units which could not have been pre-owned for more than a few days before being returned for repairs.)

I think he's going with option 4.

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was discussing with a friend this morning who was "definitely getting an iPad soon", and I pointed out there are four options:

1. Grab the run-out discounted stock of iPad 1 now, brand-new.

2. Grab a used iPad off Fleabay at huge cost reductions.

3. Wait a few weeks and get the brand-new iPad 2 at full price.

4. Wait a month or more, until the refurbished iPad2s appear, then grab those at a small discount. (The rationale being that these would be "dead-on-arrival" units which could not have been pre-owned for more than a few days before being returned for repairs.)

I think he's going with option 4.

$450 for 64GB Wi-Fi first generation vs. $700 for a new 64GB Wi-Fi second generation... I'll go with the $450 used one from a friend in flawless condition.

Just a note taking device for me... maybe next year I'll upgrade to the iPad 3 if better upgrades. Not worth the extra $250 for upgrades that I wouldn't even really notice a difference.

-Premium1337

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleSucks said:
Neither, iPads are complete overpriced crap. Fuckin apple heads..

If you dislike Apple and their products so much, What the hell are you doing spending your Friday night on an iPad specific forum?

Most reactions