What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad question, help please!!!

laura331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I really want an Ipad and was wondering, when watching a film/ TV programme etc on the ipad, does it have the ability to lock the screen? (not to prevent the orientation) but to stop the screen being pressed whilist watching something? I ask because I have a 2 year old daughter and want to download some films for her, but she will just keep touching the screen so wondering if I can 'lock' it to prevent her from cancelling/pausing the film

Any help, much appreciated!

Tassiecelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, go to settings, general and set the side switch to lock rotation instead of mute.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I really want an Ipad and was wondering, when watching a film/ TV programme etc on the ipad, does it have the ability to lock the screen? (not to prevent the orientation) but to stop the screen being pressed whilist watching something? I ask because I have a 2 year old daughter and want to download some films for her, but she will just keep touching the screen so wondering if I can 'lock' it to prevent her from cancelling/pausing the film

No - it is not possible to lock the screen to prevent activation of the play/pause/rewind etc controls on the iPad. However, a simple workaround would be to find a clear piece of plastic or perspex and to clip that across the iPad screen so that the screen was visible behind the screen but it couldn't be touched without removing/unclipping the plastic. I wouldn't recommend using removable clips in case your daughter started to suck them, but an elasticated strap could be used to attach the transparent plastic cover and hold it firmly in place. I'm sure there are several other ways in which this could be easily done.

Tim

The Kleaner

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Laura, not so much.

If your iPad is jailbroken there are something's you can do tho.

I found these in a different forum:

After weeks of searching, I've found two solutions, both of which require a jailbroken iPad. I know it's been a while since you posted this question, but I hope you see this post. I'll try and post this reply on a couple of other forums looking for this fix, too. Maybe next time you go on a search, you'll see one of them.

Solution 1: Download a Cydia application called iWhiteboard. This uses activator gestures to enable a 'draw mode' which disables the touch screen as a by-product of it's function: scribbling all over the screen. However, you can enter the 'eraser tool' with a couple of clicks, which is essentially a disabled screen. No touch input will do anything, except the activator gesture to disable iWhiteboard.

Solution 2: This is a better solution, but is slightly more tricky to implement. Finding this took a stroke of genius on my part, I hope the developer considers adding it to a more mainstream repo. There is a repository for Cydia, created by a developer for one single app: "Touch Lock". It's amazing, and is exactly what we've been looking for.

Add the source "http://cydia.myrepospace.com/tomoru84/" to Cydia. The server for this source is really slow, so be patient while it verifies the URL. Next, browse to the repo, and install Touch Lock. You can assign any activator gesture to lock/unlock the touch inputs on an iOS device. It works perfectly on my iPhone (running 4.1), but my iPad is on iOS4.3, so I've not been able to jailbreak it for a test just yet. Hopefully in the next week after Comex releases an untethered jailbreak for iOS4.3.

I hope this helps you (and others) who have been looking for a solution which enables the temporary disabling of touch-inputs on the iPad for reading, passing it around, watching videos etc. Enjoy!

Hope this helps.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Kleaner said:
Laura, not so much.

If your iPad is jailbroken there are something's you can do tho.

I found these in a different forum:

After weeks of searching, I've found two solutions, both of which require a jailbroken iPad. I know it's been a while since you posted this question, but I hope you see this post. I'll try and post this reply on a couple of other forums looking for this fix, too. Maybe next time you go on a search, you'll see one of them.

Solution 1: Download a Cydia application called iWhiteboard. This uses activator gestures to enable a 'draw mode' which disables the touch screen as a by-product of it's function: scribbling all over the screen. However, you can enter the 'eraser tool' with a couple of clicks, which is essentially a disabled screen. No touch input will do anything, except the activator gesture to disable iWhiteboard.

Solution 2: This is a better solution, but is slightly more tricky to implement. Finding this took a stroke of genius on my part, I hope the developer considers adding it to a more mainstream repo. There is a repository for Cydia, created by a developer for one single app: "Touch Lock". It's amazing, and is exactly what we've been looking for.

Add the source "http://cydia.myrepospace.com/tomoru84/" to Cydia. The server for this source is really slow, so be patient while it verifies the URL. Next, browse to the repo, and install Touch Lock. You can assign any activator gesture to lock/unlock the touch inputs on an iOS device. It works perfectly on my iPhone (running 4.1), but my iPad is on iOS4.3, so I've not been able to jailbreak it for a test just yet. Hopefully in the next week after Comex releases an untethered jailbreak for iOS4.3.

I hope this helps you (and others) who have been looking for a solution which enables the temporary disabling of touch-inputs on the iPad for reading, passing it around, watching videos etc. Enjoy!

Hope this helps.

Just looked it up and tried it, it requires 4.2.1 or less to install

Most reactions