What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad protection

RobotRock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going to ask a few questions here..

Is it worth buying a shield (inivisibleshield/bodyguardz etc) for the full device and which brand is best?

How scratch proof is the iPad without a case? Anyone have any scratches yet?

Is there any cases that will work with the iPad dock? I have already ordered a SwitchEasy NUDE which is meant to be quite thin. Also, if anyone has this case what is the quality like of the screen protector that ships with this?

Thanks

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A screen protector is personal preference: do you have kids/pets that will dirty it up, do you like keeping your electronics looking like new, do you get bothered by the fingerprints on the naked oleophobic glass, etc?

I have Invisibleshield on mine, but Ghost Armor and BodyGuardz are good too. You can't go wrong with either of those brands.

My Invisibleshield got scuffed hard a few days ago. There was a ridge and several large bubbles that were created by my husbands' shoe. I thought I'd have to get a new shield after my vacation. But after a credit card rubbing, the Invisibleshield self-healed itself and all is well. No more bubbles or ridge.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had my iPad since day one and despite heavy usage by all the family I've never felt the need for a screen protector.
Yes it does get covered in finger prints but with the bright screen they are not that annoying and are easily rubbed off. So far no scratches.......

Scratches are most likely to occur from items other than fingertips so a frontal covering is a good idea.
I personally use the apple case which also provides a degree of drop protection via it's funny edging, and while I prefer the look of the bare machine, the case just makes it more secure in the hand and less likely to slip out of your grip.

OP
RobotRock

RobotRock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

Think I'll use it for a while with no protection and then put a shield on it and see what I prefer. I always find the shields really hard to apply and I never like putting the solution on electronics.. and the worst part, the ones when you have to wait a day before you can use your device!

OP
RobotRock

RobotRock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My SwitchEasy NUDE came today, not exactly sure why I bought it. Think I would of preferred a full body shield like invisible shield.
I really like the idea of the folio cases, but the only one I like is the apple one and I've heard so much bad stuff about that, plus if I ordered that it would of further delayed my iPad :(

Also, I remember the iPad being bigger for some reason when I was in the Apple store. I think I'm going crazy.

EDIT: I just read that Apple has banned screen protectors from their stores. Either their products don't need them because of the quality or so our devices get scratched and we buy new ones/get repairs?

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
My SwitchEasy NUDE came today, not exactly sure why I bought it. Think I would of preferred a full body shield like invisible shield.
I really like the idea of the folio cases, but the only one I like is the apple one and I've heard so much bad stuff about that, plus if I ordered that it would of further delayed my iPad :(

Also, I remember the iPad being bigger for some reason when I was in the Apple store. I think I'm going crazy.

EDIT: I just read that Apple has banned screen protectors from their stores. Either their products don't need them because of the quality or so our devices get scratched and we buy new ones/get repairs?

They have had issues with customers wanting to buy a screen protector in the store and then expecting the apple employee's to apply it for them without getting any bubbles or anything.

LOL almost all the screen protectors I have seen that were applied by someone at the apple store or at a bestbuy had a ton of bubbles. They are not trained to apply screen protectors and don't have a lot of experience applying them. Its like walking up to a random stranger and asking them to apply a screen protector for you, they might say ok and try to put it on but dont count on it being perfect.

Steve says the reason they dont want to sell them any more is because a lot of the time it makes the phone look bad if it has a pealing screen protector or one with bubbles. He says they can also make the touch screen less sensitive depending on what its made of.

I say go ahead and get an InvisaSheild or Ghost Armor at your local mall. They have stands setup to sell them and apply them for you. The people that work at the stand selling the screen protectors actually do it all day long and can apply them quickly without any bubbles.

OP
RobotRock

RobotRock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I say go ahead and get an InvisaSheild or Ghost Armor at your local mall. They have stands setup to sell them and apply them for you. The people that work at the stand selling the screen protectors actually do it all day long and can apply them quickly without any bubbles.

I'm guessing the well known brands like InvisaShield and Ghost Armor don't affect the touch sensitivity and display? Can't get someone to apply it for me as I'm in UK. What is easiest to apply and requires the least setting time?

bmceachen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it won't help RobotRock in the UK.... But I just had the guys at Best Buy install my ZAGG Invisible Shield for $15.98. It was worth it... They did a much better job than I would have.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Screen Protector-???

Since the iPad screen cover is glass [see user guide] why would you want to cover it with something that is softer and more prone to bubbles on install, scratchable, and overall less durable? True, they can be broken, but mostly, a screen cover will not prevent that.

I find the same approach being used on Canon cameras [at least the 4 I have and the one I gave my son-in-law]. A 20D DSLR. Most people are harkening back to devices where there was a relatively soft plastic cover, not something that was capacitive. Times have changed IMO.

However, to each her/his own.

OP
RobotRock

RobotRock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the iPad screen cover is glass [see user guide] why would you want to cover it with something that is softer and more prone to bubbles on install, scratchable, and overall less durable? True, they can be broken, but mostly, a screen cover will not prevent that.

I find the same approach being used on Canon cameras [at least the 4 I have and the one I gave my son-in-law]. A 20D DSLR. Most people are harkening back to devices where there was a relatively soft plastic cover, not something that was capacitive. Times have changed IMO.

However, to each her/his own.

Fingerprints mainly.

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'll chime in...

I have the run of the mill Apple flip case for mine, and I find it really well made, comfortable, and I banged it into a door jam the other day and it protected the device brilliantly.

Now, it doesn't prevent finger prints, but I always travel with my iKlear cloth, and wipe it quickly after every use. I'm a bit particular about having a clean screen.

I've found no need to have any more protection than the glass itself wrapped in the Apple brand flip case.

Cheers,

M

bmceachen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bubbles

I'm now 48 hours past the installation of my invisible shield by Zagg. Best Buy installed it and it is perfect. After 24 hours there were still a couple of bubbles but now there are none. Also, initially it was more sticky than without the protector on,... but now my fingers run smoothly across the screen.

I was concerned after 24 hours but after 48 I am very pleased.

Best,
ben

Most reactions

Latest posts