What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Pro 11” Emoji key wrong place

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Has anyone else got a new iPad Pro and discovered that the Emoji key and abc keys are reversed? I have erased the device, but the problem remains. I will get it restored, but can’t do that at the moment as my MacBook (due for possible repair) is not firing up. I would be grateful to know of any other instances, as this was an issue around 2018 with one of the software updates.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I believe the position was swapped during the previous iPadOS update. Maybe only on the Pro models. Not sure. It think it is because the larger keyboard layouts made the 123 key less needful, since you can get most alternate symbols and numbers by swiping down the the key (symbols/numbers shown smaller and lighter on keys). So the emoji/world key got moved to the easier to find outer edge of the keyboard.

There is a “small” possibility that this is not true on all the software keyboards. Check under Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards and make sure you have the one you’re used to using enabled.

At any rate, it’s not a glitch. You can’t reset or fix it.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Had a long chat with one of the senior technicians at Apple Support yesterday. He said it definitely shouldn’t be this way. Also the Globe key isn’t there if I add another language. As my MacBook is currently not working, I am going to take it in to the authorised Apple reseller I bought it from, so we can do the restore from one of their computers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I won’t argue with Apple Support.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a screenshot if you have the chance. Just to see what it looks like, to be sure it’s different from what I envisioned.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, we did the restore and there was no change to the keys! The shop hadn’t got a single iPad Pro on the premises to compare it with. So, as I am taking my ailing MacBook to the Apple Store, I will ask them about the iPad Pro and hopefully get to see some in the flesh. I think your theory sounds very likely. Will update tomorrow.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is the US English keyboard on a 12.9” 2019 iPad Pro. There are several other iPad Pro users here. Just ask and I’m sure they will share screenshots of their own, or other keyboards on request.

I have three keyboards, including the emoji, set up; so my emoji key is a world key.

BF7623CF-BF77-465E-9957-02D8DFE9473A.png

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I won’t argue with Apple Support.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a screenshot if you have the chance. Just to see what it looks like, to be sure it’s different from what I envisioned.

Here is the US English keyboard on a 12.9” 2019 iPad Pro. There are several other iPad Pro users here. Just ask and I’m sure they will share screenshots of their own, or other keyboards on request.

I have three keyboards, including the emoji, set up; so my emoji key is a world key.

View attachment 90117

Thank you for your insight, Twerppoet. Didn’t get to see the iPad Pro’s today after all due to the restrictions in the Store, but from what you say my keyboard shown attached must be normal for this device. Thanks again for your help.
34FE6CFF-CD05-4B21-B58E-E2500960E2DB.jpeg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did a little searching, and it appears the change was made in iOS 12. Also, I hadn’t noticed before, but my iPad Mini running the iPadOS 14 Beta has the original layout. I don’t think this is because of the iOS 14, but just that for some reason the iPad mini keyboard wasn’t changed in that way. Most other keyboard changes are present.

To the best of my knowledge, neither keyboard change (or unchanged) were ever explained by Apple.

4C84F9C6-6B7C-4085-B312-E1B7FB0856CD.png

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can remember a change was made to the keyboards on my other iPads 2 and Air 2) around 2018, but they were switched back to their usual positions after people complained. The position on the iPad Pro is the odd one out and my left little finger wants to hit the wrong key!

Most reactions

Latest posts