What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD POWER BUTTON STUCK!

semajmik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently dropped my :ipad-keyboard: when it slid off my lap. Luckily, it was only a span of two feet or so. Unluckily, it landed on the power button. Now the power button is stuck and won't respond to any clicking.

I am still able to activate the :ipad-front: from the Home Button but I can't manually shut it off or put it sleep.

I am unable to send it back to Apple due to my location.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to unstuck the :ipad-keyboard: power button?

Thanks for your help!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Is it pressing in and clicking like normal but just not responding?

if so and there is no visible damage like dents most likely your only option is to have it replace. If you have no apple stores around you, you can have it shipped.

another work around would be to set the auto lock in settings to lock the ipad after 1 minute of inactivity. It will then go into sleep mode.

OP
S

semajmik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No its literally stuck in there, so the mechanism isn't responsive. .

It's not too much of a problem than an annoyance. But I'm looking for ways to fix it, rather than have a handicapped iPad.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get it unstuck without having to send it in.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
No its literally stuck in there, so the mechanism isn't responsive. .

It's not too much of a problem than an annoyance. But I'm looking for ways to fix it, rather than have a handicapped iPad.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get it unstuck without having to send it in.

It may not be something you can fix if it has become loose inside.

ipad-teardown-06.jpg

OP
S

semajmik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not too sure if it's loose or not:

The attributes include:
- no clicking noise
- no movement
- i can't push it in further

I heard someone used a penknife to "unstuck" it . . . and it worked afterward.

I will be attempting that soon . . .

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds the best solution when there's no motion available.

The first thing I would do is to try and pry the button up to see if it was just stuck in the down position or the mechanism of the switch has actually broken.
Small blade would be best but be aware that scalpel blades do snap..

Sometimes you get lucky.

hipaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any update on this issue?

I just dropped mine today with the same result: the power switch is stuck "in" - I can't press it in at all to turn it off. I don't want to mess with it too much, but I'd love to do a quick fix if you tried and succeeded on yours.

Thanks!

Screamjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My just Button just got stuck, as well. *that's what she said. Sorry, couldn't help myself. But really, I didn't drop my pad or anything. I've had my iPad for about 9 months. How bout y'all?
Screamjeanne

Skneip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same issue here. Had my iPad in a nice padded case and dropped it - landed on the corner w/ the power button. all seems to be working fine except the power button won't go on or off. so I have made sure it never loses its charge. I assumed it could be fixed
Fairly easily, but the apple store would only swap it out for $250 ....

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skneip said:
same issue here. Had my iPad in a nice padded case and dropped it - landed on the corner w/ the power button. all seems to be working fine except the power button won't go on or off. so I have made sure it never loses its charge. I assumed it could be fixed
Fairly easily, but the apple store would only swap it out for $250 ....

Everyone heed the advice by Skneip. Without a power button do not let the iPad power off for any reason or you won't be able to power it back up!

Keep it charged until problem is fixed to avoid a shutdown.

Most reactions