What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will not power up

dakin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and to my ipad. Have never had any problems until now. It will not power on! I have tried holding in the power button for 10 seconds. No use. Used three different power cords...not that. Plugging into my pc does nothing. Help? I had breast cancer surgery and am so bored while recovering without my ipad:(
thank you all so much!
Dakin

OP
D

dakin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do i read replies? Sorry folks, i'm blond:)

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I can say is that 10 Sec might not be enough. You may look for similar cases in the forum. People reported on a 30-50 sec hold as well for full recovery.
But . It may be that the iPAD died. Hope you have a store near by, and you or a friend are able to get there having their pro advice.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do i read replies? Sorry folks, i'm blond:)

OK - don't panic. Sit down and have a cup of coffee...or, if it's that time of day, a glass of wine....

Right - down to work....

Hold down the 'Power' and 'Home' button for 60 seconds - yes, you heard me right - 60 seconds - it can seem like an eternity....until the white Apple logo appears...

Your iPad will then perform a 'reboot'....don't panic ...no user files or apps will be lost....the reboot takes quite a while --- so time for another cup of coffee...or ....

OK - you'll soon be back to your 'Home' screen and want to celebrate with another glass...

No particular reason why this happens, so don't worry...it's 'one of those things'.

Let us know how you get on....

Tim
Scotland

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that fails as well, hold the home button until a connect to iTunes screen will display.

ish1908

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad doesn't want to turn on either...I connect my charger and the apple logo will sometimes blink every 15 sec or sometimes a back light will just blink and also you can see the connect to itunes logo sometimes fading away or tryin to appear....what can I do?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try DFU mode from OSXDaily

Enter iPad DFU Mode
Here’s what you’ll need to do:

Plug the iPad into your computer
Launch iTunes
Hold down the Power button and the Home button at the same time
Keep holding both of these buttons for 10 seconds
After 10 seconds pass, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 3-5 seconds
When in DFU mode, your iPad screen will stay completely black. If you see an Apple logo or otherwise you did not enter DFU mode
iTunes will notify you that it has detected a device in recovery mode, ignore this message if you plan on jailbreaking
Once in DFU mode your jailbreak or firmware modifying app should take over, so follow those instructions from here on

Ignore the last part though.

If that doesn't work bring it in to a apple store.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad doesn't want to turn on either...I connect my charger and the apple logo will sometimes blink every 15 sec or sometimes a back light will just blink and also you can see the connect to itunes logo sometimes fading away or tryin to appear....what can I do?

A couple of questions...

Are you charging with the native iPad charger or via USB or with an iPod charger? If so, these don't have sufficient current capacity to quickly charge the iPad so go back to the stock iPad charger.

Leave the iPad switched off for a couple of hours, but connected to the charger so that you've enough 'power' in the battery to enable the iPad to switch on.

If the problem persists, then try the solution I suggested above. There's no need to panic though. Several members have had this problem and it's usually not serious.

Tim
Scotland

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've tried my way and then you got stuck in DFU mode then get out of it by pressing and holding sleep and home until it reboots, which could take quite some time so be patient.

kelwyn5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My daughter's ipad died and won't charge at all. I've tried all of the wall chargers we own plus the computer, and nothing happens. Since there is no power, the reset options and button pushing fixes have no effect. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.
~Kelli

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might need a battery replacement from Apple I think. And with a bit of luck they might be able to replace it for you for free if you're lucky.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

sydnycha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - don't panic. Sit down and have a cup of coffee...or, if it's that time of day, a glass of wine....

Right - down to work....

Hold down the 'Power' and 'Home' button for 60 seconds - yes, you heard me right - 60 seconds - it can seem like an eternity....until the white Apple logo appears...

Your iPad will then perform a 'reboot'....don't panic ...no user files or apps will be lost....the reboot takes quite a while --- so time for another cup of coffee...or ....

OK - you'll soon be back to your 'Home' screen and want to celebrate with another glass...

No particular reason why this happens, so don't worry...it's 'one of those things'.

Let us know how you get on....

Tim
Scotland
still not working for me, unless i plugged in to charger the apple icon appeared for about 5sec and then gone again, sorry for my english im not good well

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kelwyn5 said:
My daughter's ipad died and won't charge at all. I've tried all of the wall chargers we own plus the computer, and nothing happens. Since there is no power, the reset options and button pushing fixes have no effect. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.
~Kelli

Sorry, I can't help you, although other members might be able to. But can you please create a new thread in the future, rather then resurrecting a very old thread.
Thanks.

Sent from K48

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sydnycha

Can you see the battery indicator icon at any time. In your case it sounds like a dead battery. Have you left it on the charger for an extended period of time then tried?

Last edited:

cfli1688c1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
one way i try that works is this: plug you ipad into the computer, hold power and home button for about 10-15 seconds, for my ipad 1, it will come up with the apple logo.

Most reactions