What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad-Owning PC Users Sent False iTunes Update Virus Email

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-email-scam.JPG

BitDefender security analyst Sabina Datcu has written a blog post for Malware City detailing a new email scam targeting iPad-owning PC users. The scam takes the form of an unsolicited email that invites iPad owners to download the “latest†iTunes software update to their PCs in order to update their iPad software. A direct link is provided in the email to what it claims to be the latest version of iTunes. According to Datcu, the page that the link takes you to is very convincing. She goes on to say that anyone unfortunate enough to follow the link will actually be downloading malware onto their system rather than the latest iTunes update.

BitDefender has identified the malware as Backdoor.Bifrose.AADY, which opens up a backdoor enabling control of the infected system. It also attempts to read keys and serial numbers of software installed on the infected computer, and logs the passwords to ICQ, Messenger, POP3 mail accounts and protected storage. Datcu concludes by saying that Mac users are unaffected by the malware.

Continue the discussion here:
http://www.ipadforums.net/pending-news-submissions/2375-ipad-users-windows-targeted-malware.html

19hole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would be nice to have that much time with nothing better to do than create and distribute viruses!

windowsnerd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This story is very misleading. Apple peeps- you should be offended.

I just posted on my page to add some criticism of the way this story is presented. This is clearly a WINDOWS virus. ipad is the phish hook used to lure in the bait. I think this is libel and Apple should go after each of the media outlets using the misleading headline to gain click revenue.

windowsnerd.com CRN libel against ipad

... And this is coming from a career windows admin.

windowsnerd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
correction

ok not virus, it is a back door trojan, i know how sensitive mac types are about the word virus.

iPAD@UVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And to add to the confusion of the masses, Apple DID release a new version of iTunes last night. Of course, this is done via Apple update and not an e-mail but I can still see people getting confused.

Most reactions

Latest posts